PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

Aronis
February 23rd, 2004, 13:50
First the Brief Comment on an Oil Change for an RS6 - Pain in the A__.

Now the long story.

As stated on this board before, I like to do my own basic automotive service. The most basic thing is an oil change, besides just checking fluid levels, etc.

I am a strong advocate of frequent oil changes for high performance cars, or any car for that matter! I did my own automotive maintenance since I began driving. I have swapped out transmissions, changed cams, changed brakes, changed exhaust systems, chipped a few cars, changed alternators, water pumps, radiators, etc.

Basic maintenance of any mechanical system is important to its longevity, just as basic medical evaluations on a yearly basis are important to a human’s life.

When an Engineer (of any kind) designs a mechanical or electrical device/machine, he/she MUST consider the basic maintenance in their design. Thus with a car, if you don't have any major problems, the only thing is should need besides gas and other consumable fluids is an oil and filter change on regular basis as well as a look for wear problems. Thus the more often a type of service is needed the EASIER it should be.

For example, anyone familiar with the layout of a BMW Engine? Basically you can change an oil filter in any BMW with a suit on and not have a haste getting at the filter, why? Intelligent design, not only do the M cars perform like pros, they are serviceable!

I have been the victim of a careless “expert” service person twice. Once on my 1982 Honda Accord during the service of a rusting suspension component, the pro ruined my transmission. And again during the 30,000 mile check on my 1997 M3 when the expert only put in 2 quarts of oil for a 7 quart system, fortunately no damage done!

To Err Is Human, I did not go suing anyone, I simply try to avoid problems mainly by keep my car out of ‘their’ hands whenever possible.

Thus my view is that if I do the most frequent needed service myself I can avoid problems!

But, not with the Audi A6 line design. No. They make a great product, but I think they failed in their design with regard to maintenance. Changing the oil in an A6 4.2 is a pain due to the tight position the oil filter is in. You have to basically dump the oil on yourself to get the filter out! Messy but doable.

The RS 6? Very different. The oil filter is in the same awkward position but only worse! The filter CANNOT be removed from its nest without removing the mount for the suspension cross member! If I am wrong, someone tell me, I tried removing it via the wheel well, no way, etc….

So, it’s doable, it took me an hour, mainly due to that F)(*&)*( plastic shroud that covers the underside of the engine, those four plastic screws in the wheel well are a pain to get at! I am sure it is MUCH easier with the car up on a lift, but I don’t want to buy one of those!

My concern is that the more steps there are needed to do basic maintenance the higher the chance of a mistake. Audi should KEEP IT SIMPLE.

BBGT2
February 23rd, 2004, 15:36
Aronis,

I feel for you dude, I also do not like anyone tinkering around with my car's. Albeit I have a auto repair shop and have always done the work myself except for warranty items of course.
I havent changed the oil in my beast yet as it only has 4K on it.
I am going to be taking in to Audi for the 5K maint. soon.
BUT I will not wait until the 15K mark to have the oil changed again, to me that is ludicrous, of course I will have to pay Audi's price for the "special oil" which I forgot how much it was. But I plan to keep my beast a long time and the interval's they say it should be changed is not copasetic with me. Call me old fashioned or whatever to me oil is oil, mineral is good for no more than 3k and synthetic no more than 6k. Esp. in an high power motor as the TT4.2L Just my 03. cents (inflation you know)

Bajo:addict:

360M
February 23rd, 2004, 23:20
Indeed, the A6 4.2 is a PIA to change the oil on. However, if I recall correctly, I believe the oil filter was accessible after removing the airbox. Perhaps it may be accessible in the same vicinity on the RS6? Might be worth a shot to dig through that area. I'll have to look into this later this year, as I only have 1k miles on the RS6.

As far as the "special" oil is concerned, I think they're up to something fishy here. BMW did the same thing with the M5 after it first came out. That motor burned through a lot of oil but in 2001 the same motors didn't specify the oil - M1 was fine. I think the early motors had issues with piston rings. I can't remember correctly but I did have a 2001 so I didn't pay close attention to the issue. Personally I think it's just a ploy to get owners to get the oil changed at the dealer. The same thing goes with the 360 Modena - Ferrari specifies a special Shell motor oil that you can only purchase through the dealer. Do you really think these oils are "special?" Guess who sponsors fluids for Ferrari's $400 million annual Formula One budget? Bingo.

Ah, the days of changing the oil on the BMW M50 and S50/2 motors...so easy! Even the air filters were easy to get to. Can't say the same for the older M20 engines though - those were were also a PIA.

Benman
February 24th, 2004, 04:08
Originally posted by Bajors6
Just my 03. cents (inflation you know)

Bajo:addict:

:D :D Just talked to my dealer and they seem to insist that the intervals in the service manual are more than sufficiant for full synthetic oil (DESPITE the fact my car is telling me to change it earlier!). I think changing the oil more frequently would be erring on the side of caution (always a good thing.) But since i have the extended warranty and it's their dime (try $$1000 sss) so be it!

Ben:addict:

JP4
February 24th, 2004, 15:39
Originally posted by 360M
Do you really think these oils are "special?"

I called Castrol's main office in the USA and asked about the "special oil" that Audi specifies for the RS6. An engineer at Castrol told me that the 505 01 spec for VW is indeed different and blended specifically for Audi/VW. He wouldn't (or couldn't) go into specifics about the differences but apparently there are additives to the 505 01 formula that are not found in there other formulations and are not currently sold over the counter. FWIW!

Aronis
February 24th, 2004, 15:57
I never tried removing the air box on the A6 4.2, but I do believe you can access the oil filter that way!

The wheel well and suspension limit access from the top even in the 4.2.

From above you can not even see the oil filter or alternator (which is close by) in the RS 6. Thus the only access is from below.

As far as type of oil is concerned I too share the skepticism. In my 1997 M3, the dealer did not recommend synthetic oil in fact BMW said they were ‘against’ it! I used Castrol GTX for years, changing the oil every three thousand miles. It was a 15 minute job in the M3. In fact I changed the oil on my M3 and my wife’s Subaru (both cars) in 25 minutes, on a bet of course. Both cars were done without even lifting the cars.

Around 1999 or so, BMW began recommending the Synthetic oil for ALL their cars. It seems there is some advantage in the synthetic oil since it does not break down as quickly as non-synthetic oil. This advantage is lost when you change the oil more frequently! So weigh the cost involved. If your dealer is doing it less frequently then the cost of the oil is outweighed by the cost savings of the man power used. If you do it your self and do it more frequently and use regular oil, then the cost may be a wash.

One advantage of changing the oil more frequently is it forces you to check the level!

The manufacturer has it in their best interest to recommend the proper service for the car. There is no advantage to them in under-recommending service intervals since the money saved on not doing the service is quickly eaten by replacing a single engine in one car!

But back to my original point – they should be careful to design the car such that routine maintenance is EASY!

Mike

360M
February 24th, 2004, 17:26
Originally posted by JP4
I called Castrol's main office...apparently there are additives to the 505 01 formula that are not found in there other formulations and are not currently sold over the counter. FWIW!

I don't dispute this and it sounds about right. This is probably the same or similar oil that was also specified for the 2000 M5. What I don't believe is that this oil is *required* for our cars. Let's face it, Castrol sponsors Audi Motorsport as well as BMW in F1. Shell sponsors Ferrari in F1. See a trend here? In the end what you put in your motor is up to you, but in my experience and limited research, M1, Redline and Amsoil are amongst the best oils available.