PDA

View Full Version : Back to VAG, need input from my trusted RS6 friends.....CT boot leak....

Aronis
June 20th, 2021, 00:23
So today I got a QUICKJACK.....so I can do DIY projects easier......got my car up on the lift to take a look at the lay of the land for a winter project DIY oil change and found this...so perhaps just CRIMP that band together????? All the other CV boot clamps are crimped like the outer one in the photo. Could it be that this has spread on its own???

Mike

hahnmgh63
June 20th, 2021, 02:10
Looks like it was overgreased when last assembled and just weeped a little. It happens if you put too much grease in. If you have a set of Ear hose pliars you can try tightening it down a little but not too much or you squeeze on the rubber of the boot too much.

Aronis
June 20th, 2021, 02:15
Yes, going to pick one up tomorrow. I did not clean off the grease yet, but plan on tightening it a bit and cleaning it up. Then drive a bit and re check. Probably not a big deal, just a disappointment to see it. ;)

Oil filter location on this car is just as much of a B-tch as the RS6 was. LOL. M5 is easy as pie to do oil change and filter.

Mike

hahnmgh63
June 20th, 2021, 15:54
You might want to look into the LN Engineering spin on oil filter adapter. Not just for the ease/choice of spin on filters but it allows the use of full flow filters whereas the stock system is only partial flow. I installed one in my Cayenne Turbo. Plus the cheap plastic housing's they use for oil filters seem to get weaker and more brittle every year.

Aronis
June 20th, 2021, 21:45
Thanks for feed back. I am awaiting my oil filter and filter socket. Had a wrench with extension and universal joint in place without any trouble. Others say it's really hard to get a wrench on the filter housing. I did not see that as an issue.

Fixed the grease leak. Just crimped the clamp so it now longer moves.

Mike