PDA

View Full Version : Traction Control and ABS lights

GermanzAutozYaa
December 16th, 2020, 20:01
Hey everyone.

My ABS and Traction Control warning lights come on and stay on every 10th start or so. Starts 1 - 9 no lights or warnings. Also, if they turn on with the 10th, they are gone on the 11th and stay off until the 20th start.

I do not notice any change in performance, hard braking or normal braking. Acceleration or cornering, no performance changes at all.

I have an OB2 I can plug in once I get the snow cover off in the next couple days. Before then, wondering if there are known censors I should pay attention to that tend to fail or be problematic causing these to light up. Or, if anyone else has experience with these specific lights?

https://www.rs6.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19363&stc=1

Thanks!

AudiPilot
December 16th, 2020, 23:11
I had some intermittent ABS/traction lights earlier this year, and the codes called out the yaw rate sensor, which is under the middle of the back seat. Didn’t happen with near the consistency/predictability of yours, but just my experience. I never replaced the sensor, and it stopped occurring. It can probably be many things though, wheel speed sensors, ABS module, etc. I think in most cases both lights will come on together, because ABS is part of the traction control system. VCDS will tell all!

Also, try Google searching “site:rs6.com abs traction control” and you’ll get links to lots of prior threads on the topic.

cruzanrs6
December 17th, 2020, 19:17
I had some intermittent ABS/traction lights earlier this year, and the codes called out the yaw rate sensor, which is under the middle of the back seat. Didn’t happen with near the consistency/predictability of yours, but just my experience. I never replaced the sensor, and it stopped occurring. It can probably be many things though, wheel speed sensors, ABS module, etc. I think in most cases both lights will come on together, because ABS is part of the traction control system. VCDS will tell all!

Also, try Google searching “site:rs6.com abs traction control” and you’ll get links to lots of prior threads on the topic.

I have been experiencing this as well, although not as frequently. Both those lights come on while either driving or stopped while the car is running. It has probably been about 3 - 4 years since I had the "dry-side" or electrical side of the ABS unit rebuilt by Module Masters - at that time, both lights came on and would not go out. Vag Com denoted issues with the ABS unit, research indicated that the module was the issue. I wonder if it is starting to act up again. BTW - you do get a 5 year warranty from Module Masters and the rebuild was around $300 or so. The dry side can be removed and car can still be operable - albeit - no ABS or traction control will be working.

GermanzAutozYaa
December 18th, 2020, 20:51
Awesome, thank you both. Once I get a code read and figure out what it's saying I'll check out Module Masters, thanks for the tip @cruzanrs6

@AudiPilot, thanks for the search suggestion. I tried search the forum directly with no luck, didn't think to Google the format you shared. Lots of results!

AudiPilot
December 18th, 2020, 22:21
Absolutely, that was a trick I was given early on by other members to pull content out of the site… The integrated search is definitely a weak spot!

I highly recommend getting the DIY VCDS for $199 from Ross-Tech... at first I tried a generic Bluetooth reader that promised it could read everything... pretty sure it could only read engine codes, as it missed multiple others I knew I had at the time. All-in the VCDS with a cheap Windows laptop (since it doesn’t run on MacOS) was under $500, and well worth the peace of mind in my humble opinion.