PDA

View Full Version : In SCCA events, do you use the RS6 or a separate "track" car?

eph94
February 19th, 2004, 19:53
I'm just curious how many of you folks autocross (Solo2) and/or ice race in your RS6s or if you have a separate "track car" for SCCA events.

I just ordered a Mini Cooper CVT for such events. I chose the non-S for the its lighter weight (2557 lbs vs. 2678 lbs for the S). I'm looking forward to seeing the difference of flicking a car that that weighs 1500 lbs less than the RS6 around corners.

For those of you who have taken the RS6 to the more high-speed venues (Watkins Glen, Lime Rock Park, NH International, etc.) did you find that you burned through brake pads? I was advised to bring extra brake pads with me because some folks had seen RS6s this past summer that could no longer play because they burned through pads. The thought of that has made me a little gunshy about beating on the RS6 on the track where a brake job and replacing tires probably costs 1/4 the price of a new Cooper.

I've been to just one driving school and now I have the bug. And surprisingly, the wife has expressed interest in autocross/ice racing as well. Family fun! :wo:

Bauer
February 19th, 2004, 20:20
I have been to three Audi Club events and I am addicited, my wife has been to two. She would have come to all three but she had a baby shower to go to....she was actually a bit pissed about missing Thunderhill.

I have taken my RS6 to all three and the two weak spots for me are breaks and tires...which can be remedied.

My wife drives our S8 and loves it...she was actually one of the fastest cars in her group. The S8 is not really a track car but don't tell that to her:D :D and really the RS6 is not either but hey it is :wo: .

I have been considering getting a track car such as a used A4 1.8t or a used S4 and strip the whole thing down but who knows.:cheers: