PDA

View Full Version : Stealth factor and the RS6? Yeah, right

bilbozilla
February 19th, 2004, 17:22
Yesterday I'm pulling off the freeway and van comes rushing up beside me at the stoplight. The guy rolls down his window, and he's got 5-6 kids in the car fogging up the windows yelling at the dad/coach/whatever to pull up to look at my car. He says "450 horses? Holy sh!+ These kids haven't stopped talking about your car since they spotted it!"

I get as many complements from teenagers on my car than I do from adults. It's pretty funny to come out into a parking lot and have several people pointing at the exhaust tips and wheels. I can only assume they are saying nice things about it:)

Alan
February 19th, 2004, 17:27
Car guys know and love the RS6. All non-car people (and the entire female population) think it's just another Audi sedan.

sturs6
February 19th, 2004, 18:34
I called the local Cadillac dealer yesterday to see if they would allow me to test drive the CTS-V . Very rood guy but that is beside the point. I asked him about the car and he told me some BS that I allready knew then he had the balls to ask me if I knew it cost 50,000 dollars. I said is that all tha tis nothing he said oh ok wha tdo you drive now. I told him I drove an Audi RS6 he said "what is that I have never heard of it?" I said it is a 90,000 dollar 450 Horsepower 0-60 in 4.4 seconds Audi. He said he did not know that Audi made a car that was that powerful and fast.
I said you idiot :doh: (not realy but I should have). I did tell him he needed to go read up on the car.
I guess that is the difference in a car salesman and a car enthusiasts.

vBob
February 23rd, 2004, 23:07
I agree the RS6 ain't that stealth. I actually chose Daytona gray and the matt-black "sport exhaust" option to be stealthy. I even asked the salesman about logo-deletion option but he just said I can do it myself with a heat gun.

I get more than average attention with the RS6. Not just from car guys but also from pair of giggling teenage girls once.

I've already taken off the front RS6 badge at delivery and is preparing to take off the rears when I figure out the best way to do it without harming the paint. I thought about putting "A6 2.8q" badge... (: That would be really stealthy, I believe...

There are people who moans about how RS6 isn't distinguished enough. I'd say it's different enough for people to take notice.

iconcls
February 23rd, 2004, 23:19
Originally posted by vBob
I figure out the best way to do it without harming the paint.

Here is a good DIY debadging page:

Legendary, PaulW's Debadging Page (http://www.audipages.com/upgrades/debadging.html)

And I'm still completely stealthy, 3 comments in 15K miles.:)

btumble
February 23rd, 2004, 23:51
Sorry Alan, I just can't let this slide:

All non-car people (and the entire female population) think it's just another Audi sedan.

while I know the majority of RS6 owners are men, there are some women who have 'em. As one of them, I'd be happy to meet you somewhere to show you just how well the fairer sex knows how to handle horsepower. It is only fair to tell you I'm a graduate of the Skip Barber Racing school and did quite nicely in the CART races I drove in. I do drive around with 2 car seats in the back of my car,it doesn't mean I don't have as much fun with my car as you do. And I know how to change the oil....without wrecking my manicure.
;)

BTW the most attention I get about the car is from valet parkers.
Otherwise totally stealthy.

Alan
February 24th, 2004, 00:13
Where were you when I was single :heart: ?

bilbozilla
February 24th, 2004, 03:15
I do drive around with 2 car seats in the back of my car,it doesn't mean I don't have as much fun with my car as you do.

Do you have twins? About a week ago, 3 people approached me about car. One guy had an S6, one had an M5, and another had a Cayenne Turbo, and we all had twins (except for the S6 owner - he had triplets). I had the carseats in my car, as my wife's car was in for service, so among the 4 of us, we had 9 kids and over 1,500 HP

rs6w
February 24th, 2004, 06:40
Driving home tonight a guy in a SL500 looked the car over twice as we were tooling down the road. I've had a person in a CR-V come next to me in the other lane and give a thumbs up.

I've gotten more comments on this car than any other car I've ever owned.

All I can say it's one fun car to drive around.:addict:

JAXRS6
February 24th, 2004, 07:16
Two days ago, a spectator at a local tennis club got out of his chair to take a look at my beast as I turned around in the parking lot. Then, yesterday, a 60ish guy and his (I presume) wife stopped to ask me about the car as I was about to get in. He had heard about the RS6, was driving a Lexus, seemed impressed by my description of smooth power.

Also had many thumbs-up, questions, horn toots etc. on long drive out West last summer. Still, weeks go by with no recognition at all, so overall I'd say the RS6 is stealthy for the masses but not for auto buffs. Which, for me, is fine, because I know chances are good that the person asking about it is well-read -- and that that won't happen too often. I experienced much more frequent gawking with a Lotus Elite in 1970s Los Angeles, and there were numerous occasions when I wished I was driving something less conspicuous. But distinguishing a distinguished car is important, too, and I think Audi has done that "just right" on the RS6.

JAXRS6
July 16th, 2004, 03:36
I swear, the attention my mugello blue beast draws is increasing!

I picked up my car last August & had some nice comments on a long trip, per above post. Also had a few questions & compliments around my home in suburban Detroit, and more -- tho sporadic -- in the small Florida town where I spent the winter. But I swear, since returning to Michigan, you'd think I was driving a Ferrari! The guy who poured concrete on the sidewalk in front of my house, a kid at the local bicycle shop, a middle-aged couple today in the supermarket parking lot, and I don't know how many others -- maybe a dozen since I returned just over two weeks ago. Truly, about once a day, someone says "Beautiful car!" or "Man, that looks great -- what is it?" or twenty-somethings do a double-take from their Eclipse or whatever else they're driving -- every day, on average, someone pays some sort of positive tribute to this car.:rs6kiss:

Did I miss something, or is this car's star on the rise even more than when it was new last year -- and almost TWO years since most of the rave reviews in the automotive press?

Heck, I even found evidence that it's VALUE is increasing! Every month or two I check on its appraisal at edmunds.com and a couple of months back, an RS6 with my equipment, ZIP code, condition and mileage -- high then but obviously even higher now -- was quoted at approximately $66K for trade-in and $68K for sale to a private party. When I checked again today, both those figures were UP by about $2K! (The link below will ask you to enter your own info. Mine included rear side airbags, power window sunshade, carbon fiber trim, power solar sunroof, dark blue, ZIP 48236, 23.5K miles and outstanding condition -- the latter thanks in part to 3M film paint protection.)

http://edmunds.com/used/2003/audi/rs6/100274637/options.html?tmvaction=vdpresult&tid=edmunds.u.options.utmv.vdpoption.1.Audi*

Can't say I know why values would be up, unless dwindling supplies of new beasts at US dealers has something to do with it, but I like it -- a lot!:wo:

Aronis
July 16th, 2004, 14:14
Originally posted by Alan
Car guys know and love the RS6. All non-car people (and the entire female population) think it's just another Audi sedan.

Rakete will kich you butt when she sees that post....I'm telling, I'm Telling...

LOLLOLOOLOL

Mike

JKN
July 17th, 2004, 04:22
I debadged my car at the dealership.. made it a condition of sale. I've got about 4K on it now.. I've only had about 4 comments, but usually it's "whoah, what kind of audi is that?" or a somewhat insecure "is that an RS6?".

My answer is either A6 or RS6 depending on whether I'd like to engage the other person or not. I think that the brakes are fairly visible through the wheels, which is a giveaway. But the vehicle just is trimmed differently than an A6 too.

Anyway, I've had folks on the road in BMW's and Mercedes take a second look for sure when I give them the big run for the money...

I think the exhaust sounds are a giveaway too...

Anyway, I like the fact that it's a sedan but kickin too. I love stealth, but that's my nature.. never liked brand identities.. It's symbolizes the shred of idealist in me that hasn't faded..

:wo:

JAXRS6
November 7th, 2004, 07:25
A couple of nights ago I stopped for gas at one of my usual spots here in nice suburban Detroit. A guy about 18-20 years old comes up to me an asks, "Is that an RS6?" I answer affirmative; he mentions that he drove one once and it was "awesome!"

Tonight I come out of the store at the same place, unlock my doors, and two cops get out of the Detroit squad car parked behind me. (About two minutes earlier I had departed a stoplight somewhat rapidly, but not really racing -- and then saw that another town's squad car, minus roof lights, was behind me.)

"Pardon me, sir, but would you mind opening your car?" says one of the Motown cops, a big black guy. He's smiling and then says "That's an RS6, isn't it?" I say yes; he looks inside at the speedo and says "200 mph!" with a big grin on his face. Of course, I say, "Oh, no, it won't go THAT fast," but they seem friendly enough and aren't asking me for my license or registration; they want to know "what it'll do" and indicate I won't get in trouble for saying. So I finally admit that I had it "into triple digits once in Florida." Which is putting it mildly, but that's another story.

They say thanks for the chat and I leave. And I'm thinking, this car has been here 17 months now; it's certainly no longer "new" to the US. I like it that it still commands so much respect!:rs6kiss:

audirs6sport
November 7th, 2004, 08:46
Originally posted by Aronis
Rakete will kich you butt when she sees that post....I'm telling, I'm Telling...

LOLLOLOOLOL

Mike

LMAO!!!

smeeg
November 7th, 2004, 20:52
the first day incognito(my cousin) had the car we were headed out to work together, and a guy in a blue r32 stopped and said nice car man and drove off...first day having it not even for a couple hours...and his brother when he had the c32amg..people would give him props left and right..but i havent gotten any good comments in my a4 except from my girl :p

steve
November 7th, 2004, 21:21
Although we don't have an RS6 but just an A6:D, I can hear an RS6 comming easily... there are 2 driving constantly around here (both Avants with sport exhaust) and every time it's wonderfull to hear the roar of the V8 with Sport exhaust!:rs6kiss: I've managed to film them 3 times already:D :hihi:

One of the two is the most stealthy RS6 you can ever buy...

black RS6 avant with 18" RS4 wheels, black sport exhaust, black interior, tinted windows, all the chrome in black body colour, no badges and always dirty as hell! Even me, a real Audi freak sometimes have to look twice to see if its the RS6:p
I'd pick exactly the same RS6 I think... soooooooo understatement:addict:

gjg
November 7th, 2004, 22:10
black sport exhaust, black interior, tinted windows, all the chrome in black body colour, no badges and always dirty as hell!

haha, that is about the best description of my + ..... except mine is Daytona Gray with 19" titanium or whatever they call the anthracite colour rims ...... :thumb:

it is so dirty right now you can't even see licence plates, that of course makes it stealth from other "intrusions" :D :incar:

:rs6kiss:

Aronis
November 7th, 2004, 22:26
Originally posted by gjg
haha, that is about the best description of my + ..... except mine is Daytona Gray with 19" titanium or whatever they call the anthracite colour rims ...... :thumb:

it is so dirty right now you can't even see licence plates, that of course makes it stealth from other "intrusions" :D :incar:

Shame on you, go wash it now!

:MTM:

7:53 RS6
November 7th, 2004, 22:27
Did Plus come in Daytonagray color? Or is it spesial order?

I tought it came in blue, black, and silver. Please correct me if wrong but I think I read this some where.

gjg
November 8th, 2004, 09:27
Shame on you, go wash it now!

well, I would wash it more often if the road department in this part of the world would keep the roads clean ..... as soon as it rains you're back where you started after 20 km .....

Did Plus come in Daytonagray color? Or is it spesial order?

this was special order, also got mirrors painted with the same color ..... as with any RS6, you could pick any color when ordering, Daytona Gray was no charge option for me ....

:D

7:53 RS6
November 8th, 2004, 09:53
Originally posted by gjg
well, I would wash it more often if the road department in this part of the world would keep the roads clean ..... as soon as it rains you're back where you started after 20 km .....

this was special order, also got mirrors painted with the same color ..... as with any RS6, you could pick any color when ordering, Daytona Gray was no charge option for me ....

:D

nice color and whit the antracit rims its dead on. I guess my car is the exaxt same look whit antracit rims black options lists and plus sportsystem and plus breakes but not the mirrors and no +. And to bad not the droped chassi..

I have to say you have good tast:)

drmrg
November 9th, 2004, 01:34

For starters I got my RS6 with the main intention of having a true Q-ship.

I purposely choose the silver with that in mind.

Any hope of being stealthy was immediately shatttered when my neighbor stopped me from leaving my driveway to work on my second day of having the car, forced me to get out of my car and he shakes my hand and says " I just had to say congratulations"

I am reasonably certain that I was at least as warmly congratulated when my son was born....

The third day I am driving it a teenager (admittedly in an audi himself) pulls past me and starts honking the horn and waving and giving me the thumbs up.

That weekend i am driving on the Ohio Turnpike at about 110 and a Subaru Wrxti is pacing me with the driver givng me the thumbs up and finally dropping back, but only fifteen minutes later another person with an audi finally catches up to me after I had passed him and simply paces alongside to give me the thumbs up.

That roadtrip would have been perfectly fine from my perspective, except that the two passengers I had inthe car had no idea what an RS6 was and could not quite understand why all sorts of strange people would pull up alongside and just start waving...

The best part was watching the rear passengers jaw absolutely drop when he realized that the speedometer was reading MPH and not KPH, he immediately asked me to stop going 120... Up till that point he had no idea we were travelling roughly twice the speed limit.

hehe

I now have gotten used to it.

I guess it is reasonalbe preparation for when I get my ferrari.
:brag:

Bauer
November 9th, 2004, 02:42
I would say I get a comment or thumbs up about 4 times a week...never had a car that got so much attention.

Great story about the 120mph......the car is just so easy to drive fast. I have had friends in the car and casually mentioned that we were doing 100mph and they have to lean over and look at the speedo to believe me.

Cheers,

Benman
November 9th, 2004, 15:09
Originally posted by drmrg

For starters I got my RS6 with the main intention of having a true Q-ship.
:brag:
I was also going for the non flash approach. But when it comes to people who know their cars it might as well be a bright red Viper. Especially with fellow Audi owners. I never get tired of it.:D
Ben:addict:

eph94
November 9th, 2004, 22:21
Originally posted by Benman
I was also going for the non flash approach. But when it comes to people who know their cars it might as well be a bright red Viper. Especially with fellow Audi owners. I never get tired of it.:D

So true. I noticed at Audi Club events we're practically treated like rock stars. Even at BMW Club events, people who I haven't even met yet know me as the "RS6 guy". I'm wondering how much I would miss that if I ever went to more plebeian ride like an Acura RL A-Spec when my lease runs out.

I once went to a driving event in the wife's CHILI RED MINI COOPER and I probably got 10% of the attention of when I take the RS6.

On the street, however, I'm able to get high school and college age chicks to smile and wave at me when I'm in the MINI. I may as well be invisible in the RS6 with that demographic, which most of the time is a good thing... but sometimes we can all dream, can't we? :nono: :love: :nono:

Benman
November 10th, 2004, 15:27
Originally posted by JJV-MA
So true. I noticed at Audi Club events we're practically treated like rock stars. Even at BMW Club events, people who I haven't even met yet know me as the "RS6 guy". I'm wondering how much I would miss that if I ever went to more plebeian ride like an Acura RL A-Spec when my lease runs out.

Well I guess you could be known as "that RL A-Spec Guy":D

JAXRS6
January 14th, 2005, 08:25
Was driving down the main drag of a small SW Florida town yesterday, windows open, when a young man shouted, "Cool car!" So of course I thanked him.

Four blocks and two minutes later, while I was waiting for a light to change, another young man says "Cool car!" Followed by, "Wow, an RS6! Why don't I have a camera?!"

Made me feel good, of course, knowing the car still has such star power.

Has anyone else noticed how the roofline on our cars, first introduced on the A6 that reached US shores in 1998, has been copied or slightly modified by so many other mfrs? I can think of five: Nissan, Saturn, Infinity (sorta), and now Ford and Mercury (only six years late!)

Are there more?

tailpipe
January 14th, 2005, 10:25
It's the Avant that's really stealthy. No one expects an estate to crack o-60 in under 5 seconds. Wife has no idea how fast it is, just pleased that I put the family first in my choice of car.

plus
January 14th, 2005, 16:32
where in london are you tailpipe and what colour is your beast?

PLUS