PDA

View Full Version : I'm a menace to society in this car.

iconcls
February 18th, 2004, 19:56
(That is all) :)

Klint
February 18th, 2004, 23:02
Coolios! :brag:

Watch you don't end up getting your licence revoked! ;)

Bauer
February 18th, 2004, 23:25
I know what you mean....I feel like I am constantly driving in a retirement community....everyone is just too damm slow.:w:

bilbozilla
February 19th, 2004, 02:21
They need to raise the speed limits and crack down on people doing stupid maneouvers (i.e. weaving in and out of traffic, crossing solid lines while merging, etc.) I bet that if they would levy huge fines for that type of driving, the revenues would increase dramatically and outweigh the revenues lost from speeding tickets.

The only problem, however, is that I have gotten out of several tickets by saying to the police officer "I made a judgement call in the name of safety" blah blah blah.

Bauer
February 19th, 2004, 02:44
I like that .....may I use it...the "blah blah blah" that is:D :D

avdh
February 19th, 2004, 13:24
Glad to hear that you guy in the Northern hemisphere have the same problem as I have... :p

nene
February 19th, 2004, 13:49
....I think it's more down the line of 'Other drivers on the road are bad and a menace to my health'!

That is all...keep on drivin'!

Aronis
February 19th, 2004, 14:09
Hey, when they make a BOX that tells the cops which cars are driving irratically then they will "Crack Down' on bad drivers.

Speeding DOES not increase risk of accidents. I have been driving for 26 years, never hit another car on the road. Do I speed, never...Do State Troopers speed, never...LOL.

But if you have tickets for speeding you insurance rates go up up up....if you drive like an ass, weaving, drifting out of your lane, too slow, etc, and never have the RADAR GUN CATCH YOU, you can go on causing accident after accident and NEVER have you insurance rates increased!

As far as you feeling you are a menance is concerned, you are clearly responding to the liberal programming that our education system has applied to you! They have convinced you that You are the Bad one, the speeder, the evil one who worked hard to succeed, and bought an $85,000 car, you evil one you. You are suffering from Afluenza!

You are NOT a menace, say it, say it..

Mike

LOL

Audihead
February 19th, 2004, 15:30
How about a rating system that tells the police who is qualified to drive above the posted limit, due to extra training and qualifacations. Somehow electronically signaling the patrol car to leave you alone.

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

Bauer
February 19th, 2004, 17:06
How about a rating system that tells the police who is qualified to drive above the posted limit, due to extra training and qualifacations. Somehow electronically signaling the patrol car to leave you alone.

My wife has always said there should be different levels of drivers licenses beyond what we currently have. You know....higher level no tickets for speeding...lower lever (she call jacka$$ license) you get a ticket for speeding:D :D or whatever the infraction should be.

bilbozilla
February 19th, 2004, 17:08
A radio broadcasting unit embedded in the shark-fin antennae. Beautiful idea. The only problem still remains other drivers. I was in total agreement with the other's replies before I made my post - speed is readily measurable with a radar gun and becomes a no-brainer when issuing a ticket.

But there is a solution out there for us to enjoy our cars stateside without having to go to the track. I'm sure if we were to put our heads together, we could figure something out.

Audihead
February 19th, 2004, 17:14
I want the Montanabahn back!

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

JAXRS6
February 19th, 2004, 18:45
Originally posted by bilbozilla
...there is a solution out there for us to enjoy our cars stateside without having to go to the track. I'm sure if we were to put our heads together, we could figure something out.

Have you checked this out these high speed Nevada public road events? Coming up in May, July and September:

http://silverstateclassic.com

The link includes a Car & Driver review near the top.

I called, was told by tech guy (whose day job is working for The Mr. Shelby) that the RS6 could compete up to 125 mph in one touring class; add harnesses and the bar raises to 140. Higher limits are allowed for those who add roll cage etc. Supposedly they have never had an accident in the touring class over the 15 years of the event; just flat tires.

Cars start at intervals of 30 to 60 seconds and all are targeting an average speed (i.e. 125 in the case of a 140 top speed) rather than trying to finish first, so passing is rare. One course offers 90 miles of mostly high desert, the other lasts 55 or 110 miles (depending on whether you pay to return) and includes more curves & rolling terrain. Costs less than $500 to sign up for those who have completed appropriate driving schools; add the cost of their school for others. (I've been to one quattro club school but that was five years ago & for a completely different car and track, so I plan to take theirs anyway.)

Participants should arrive by Thursday evening to compete on Sunday, except driving school students need to arrive a day earlier. School in Vagas, parade etc. in Ely. About 150 vehicles took part last year -- Vettes, Vipers, Mustangs, Camaros, Porsches & others, newer & older. Saw one Benz sedan, previous generation, in their photo gallery. Some celebrities too; it's said to be largely a party until the Sunday event. And you won't believe what holds the 200+ mph speed record.

I've been wanting to go but haven't signed up because of some reliability issues, most of them posted here. Car has been running good for about 1500 miles, tho, and if that continues I have only one other obstacle: Getting the beast from Michigan to Nevada and back. Driving it would add another 4,000 miles & I've already got nearly 16,000 due to prior long trips, so I'd rather ship. But that's another $1200 or so, and ... well, hey, if I'm going to pop for that kind of coin, I'd rather not be the only Audiphile in attendance!

I'm thinking about the July event, which offers a more scenic and challenging course & time to prepare. But I might be swayed to May or September if others prefer one of those.
:addict: :s4addict: :ttaddict:

Bauer
February 19th, 2004, 19:26
My brother in law is all over me to go to this thing, he wants to be my co-pilot. I think one his friends is going in a track preped vette and he wants me to enter in the 120mph class with him to compete against his friend.

JAXRS6
February 19th, 2004, 19:52
Are you focusing on any specific dates -- May, July or September?
:)
Also, your mention of the 120 mph class reminds me to mention that no one has to go 140, 125, or even 120 to take part. Some classes are slower, some faster. Answers are in the link above, or by calling one of the numbers listed there.

Bauer
February 19th, 2004, 20:51
I need to talk with my brother in law and check dates...works been pretty busy of late so not sure right now.

As for the 120mph....I really don't think that would too hard in the RS6 as it is so smooth at high speeds and from what I have read you can go through the hills at about 90mph. I am going to do some more research and I may go at a lower speed but for now I am shooting for the 120 mph range.:cheers:

Bauer
February 19th, 2004, 23:35
JAXRS6-

Just got off the phone with the bro in law....if I am going to do it...it will be the May event since that is when his friend will be there....sorry if that is too soon for you. I have set a deadline for my decission by the first week in March.:cheers:

JAXRS6
February 20th, 2004, 00:45
May may work for me, but right now I prefer July because, besides having more time to get ready, I might hook up with with a fellow fiftysomething enthusiast from San Diego who I've known since college. And May poses transportation challenges for "snowbirds" on my schedule. But May offers lower temps -- upper 60s in Ely are reported to be the average high then, compared to upper 80s by July -- which should help performance. So, if my friend bails, I may be up for May. Or maybe May is OK with him, too. I'll know more as time goes on. Maybe. (just kidding)
:incar:
Let's stay in touch here, see if others are interested & maybe start a new thread if that seems justified.

Finnus
February 20th, 2004, 11:41
MENSA = MENace to Society Association

You know....higher level no tickets for speeding...lower lever (she call jacka$$ license) you get a ticket for speeding or whatever the infraction should be.

For the lower (moron/jackass) levels, give them a ticket every time they get in their car. That would be a strong incentive to improve their driving skills.

But if you have tickets for speeding you insurance rates go up up up

That's the beauty of the British system. With stationary speed guns set up everywhere, everyone is getting tickets! (Except the speeders with their radar detectors) - hey, maybe that's the solution. No cops with speed guns, just stationary units that you'll know where they are. Only the moron driviers at the lowest level will not have detectors. Then the cops could start going after the real criminals. Wouldn't the insurance companies would love that! More tickets = more premiums. :vgrumpy:

Finnus

:addict:

TheBrit
February 20th, 2004, 14:30
Originally posted by Finnus
That's the beauty of the British system. With stationary speed guns set up everywhere, everyone is getting tickets! (Except the speeders with their radar detectors) - hey, maybe that's the solution. No cops with speed guns, just stationary units that you'll know where they are.
If only. Fixed cameras are also backed up by mobile cameras, cameras in vans lurking at the roadside, traditional "cop with a tripod" speed traps, number plate recognition average speed measurement systems, VASCAR in-car timing and alledgedly helicopter speed monitoing as well. There is even a stopwatch approved by ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) so that cops on foot can time cars between two points to determine if they are speeding.

Finnus
February 20th, 2004, 17:03
If only. Fixed cameras are also backed up by mobile cameras ...

Its never as simple as you'd like, is it?

The insurance companies must be loving that. Are premiums increasing dramtically as a result? Has anyone done a study?

Finnus

:addict:

TheBrit
February 20th, 2004, 18:21
Originally posted by Finnus
The insurance companies must be loving that. Are premiums increasing dramtically as a result? Has anyone done a study?
I don't know for sure, but I'd expect anyone with a few points for speeding would have higher insurance premiums. Of course, get banned for having 12 points under 'totting up' or a straight ban for excessive speed (usually 30mph over limit is enough to warrant a ban), then I'd expect premiums to be much higher afterwards.

gjg
February 20th, 2004, 22:48
so much for the free society .... the money taks bullshit walks and in UK the insurance money rules .....

like certain insurance company in US buying radar guns to the police in name of safety (in exchange for speeding driver info .....)