PDA

View Full Version : exhaust modifications or replacement, pros and cons and opinions....

rah
April 8th, 2019, 08:42
Hi everyone,

I love the sound of my C5 RS6, but i am wondering if anyone has modified their stock exhaust or swapped the whole system for something else? Pros, con, advises, gains? mine has the SE and sounds great has i mentioned, but i would love to hear it a little more but i don't want droning either, just want to enjoy that growl. I plan on power upgrades eventually but not for this year.

Thanks

hahnmgh63
April 8th, 2019, 15:37
I've got a whole Miltek system on mine. Catless downpipes and the resonated Miltek exhaust. Isn't much louder than stock until you really get on it. The Whole Miltek system is about 4mm larger diameter than stock for slightly extra flow.

kruat
April 8th, 2019, 15:40
Most go with a full milltek system, either resonated or not. You can search YouTube for videos. Other popular option is deleting the resonators on the stock exhaust.

The RS stock exhaust flows pretty well, with the dps as the exception. I think the biggest performance improvement would come from gutting the stock dps or going with aftermarket.

stubro
April 8th, 2019, 20:12
I did a custom exhaust from USP and Miltek tips. Easier to go with a full Miltek system but I am happy. https://youtu.be/wv9wEMiLku8

rah
April 12th, 2019, 07:10
I've got a whole Miltek system on mine. Catless downpipes and the resonated Miltek exhaust. Isn't much louder than stock until you really get on it. The Whole Miltek system is about 4mm larger diameter than stock for slightly extra flow.

Ok thank you. By being larger did you gain much or just a better system over stock?

rah
April 12th, 2019, 07:13
Most go with a full milltek system, either resonated or not. You can search YouTube for videos. Other popular option is deleting the resonators on the stock exhaust.

The RS stock exhaust flows pretty well, with the dps as the exception. I think the biggest performance improvement would come from gutting the stock dps or going with aftermarket.

Thanks for the input, i actually like the sounds of the stock SE on mine, just wish for a little more growl i guess? But i am also looking forward to power upgrades in the future and i don't want to redo it again once i do so. I am getting a 034 Motorsports chip in May but bigger power upgrades in the future as well.

rah
April 12th, 2019, 07:15
I did a custom exhaust from USP and Miltek tips. Easier to go with a full Miltek system but I am happy. https://youtu.be/wv9wEMiLku8

Very nice, love the sound of that, deep growl but not overbearing either! Any drowning inside on long hwy miles or streets?

hahnmgh63
April 12th, 2019, 13:44
Rah, can't say what gains if any as I already had the Miltek downpipes in the car for the last 10yrs, just replaced the SE exhaust with the Miltek as a great sale was on a couple of years ago. Car was off the road for the Manual conversion so it is definitely faster than with the Auto box (100# lighter, less powertrain losses).

boca rat
April 15th, 2019, 04:36
Ca someone post more info on the SE exhaust? Differences to stock? How do I know if I have it or not?

Thx!

lswing
April 15th, 2019, 16:41
Ca someone post more info on the SE exhaust? Differences to stock? How do I know if I have it or not?

Thx!

SE has matte black tips, about it visually I think...has a bit more rumble when next to the stock shiny silver tip exhaust.

hahnmgh63
April 16th, 2019, 04:03
Also the SE exhaust is 3 piece where if I remember right the normal exhaust is 1 or 2 piece.

boca rat
April 16th, 2019, 05:22
Thx to both who replied. I guess I need to find a video of a comparison, seems I have the standard exhaust

Also the SE exhaust is 3 piece where if I remember right the normal exhaust is 1 or 2 piece.

rah
April 17th, 2019, 10:02
Thx to both who replied. I guess I need to find a video of a comparison, seems I have the standard exhaust

What was said above is correct from what i also know, my exhaust is a 3 piece and the tips are matte black vs the stock silver ones. The level of sound difference is not huge per say but it definitely has more rumble, especially in sports mode.

rah
April 17th, 2019, 10:03
Rah, can't say what gains if any as I already had the Miltek downpipes in the car for the last 10yrs, just replaced the SE exhaust with the Miltek as a great sale was on a couple of years ago. Car was off the road for the Manual conversion so it is definitely faster than with the Auto box (100# lighter, less powertrain losses).

Gotcha makes sense, anything lighter on those cars will make a difference that's for sure.