PDA

View Full Version : Snows on Stock Rims

Finnus
February 18th, 2004, 13:29
Has anyone mounted snow tires on stock rims? If so what kind and, now that we're well into winter, how have they performed?

I plan on upgrading to 19" (in spite of the pitiful NE roads) HRE 840 wheels in the Spring & I want to use the stock 18" rims for snows next year ...

Finnus

:addict:

BlackRS6
February 18th, 2004, 13:34
I had the same plan and would be interested as well.

nene
February 18th, 2004, 13:56
I'm the sort of guy you are looking for...I mean...the one with stock rims and Winter tires,....not the other kind!!! :p

I installed 255/40/18 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Winter+Sport+M3) on the stock 9-spoke rims. Given that I was totally set on getting 255 wide Winter tires, that really limited my selection. For the Bimmer, I went with 245 wide. I think at that time we could not find M3's anymore, thus the M2 had to suffice.

These tires are kick arse man. Wholy COW!!!
On the S4 I had Michelin Pilot Alpins, and then I went with Pilot Sports A/S. Please keep in mind that I love Michelin, and the tire width on the S4 is thinner. I like the Dunlop's a whole lot more.

The thread design is very aggressive. I put Dunlop Winter Sport M2 on the new BMW 545i, and you can tell the difference. It's almost as if the thread belongs on an off-road Jeep. Really cool looking, even for a car.

Looks: This tire looks really awesome on the RS6. The thread pattern is really deep, and has lots of channels to dig into deep snow.

Dry Handling: I have to admit that I push this car around on/off-ramps and major curves almost as much as I did with the Summer tires I had on. Given the wide track, there is no squealing, and they have never made the car feel too soft around curves. The S4 felt a bit like that with the Pilot Alpins. Again, I think it was because the thin tires.

Wet Handling: Again, I do almost the same as dry pavement. I go right at it, with a bit of caution, but they just keep rockin' and rollin'. I have attempted going over various semi-deep puddles just to see how the car would handle with them. I went in and came out the other way with no major hydro-planing.

Ice/Snow Handling: On deep snow, as I've tried recently, I actually turned off ESP, and just power around cars. It just keeps diggin' it in, and I make my move literally as good as if I was on dry. Certainly not at the same speeds, but I don't feel that the car is about to break loose, and start wondering in the wrong direction. I really feel confortable and sure that they will work as intended.
On ice, as we see a few huge patches here in the office, I've played a littel with them. Like give a bit of extra gas as I take a turn to see how the car/wheels will handle. You see the car break loose a bit, but nothing that is not controllable. You have to know that it was an intended test. On ice I'm always more careful, because he get these huge patches that build up the driveway of my work, and it's on a 30 degree curvature location of the road. When I go through them, I usually get off the gas, and just steer through them. Come off the patch as if it was almost non-existent.

Tire Noise: Well, I really can't say they are much louder then the Summer tires. That really surprised me, especially for a tire that is so wide. It could be that the exhaust sound muffles it a bit, but not sure.
One of our roads, Route 2 from 128 interchange all the way into Boston, is full of those 'veins' in the road. I guess what I'm trying to describe is where they just patch cracks in the pavement with softer compound. Really annoying when you go over them. Over this type of pavement, you can really hear the tires a bit more, but on newer pavement, or pavement without those crack fixes, the tires are as loud as your Summer tires, or a bit less.

I'm extremely happy with these tires. I was planning on using the S4 for the Winter car, but once I put these tires on, I gave the S4 to my sister, and no one is going to pry the RS6 from my cold dead hands.
I'm thinking of getting HRE 840R dubs for the Summer setup. I want the beast to be pimpin' this Summer!!!

Finnus
February 18th, 2004, 17:24
I'm thinking of getting HRE 840R dubs for the Summer setup. I want the beast to be pimpin' this summer!!!

Nelson,

My thoughts exactly.

I'm thinking of unloading my S4 this Spring and using the Beast as my only wheels.

Aslo, thanks for the great tire review.

Cheers,

Finnus
:addict:

oregonbob
February 18th, 2004, 19:41
Can't top Nene's review!

I have the same set up - Dunlop 255/40-18 Wintersport M3's on OEM wheels. It's a great combination. Works flawlessly in all weather and looks great, too. Highly recommended.

Great review Nene!

Bob

eph94
February 19th, 2004, 19:26
I don't have the stock rim setup, but I can echo the sentiment about the Dunlap Winter Sport M3s. I know from experience that it is a much better winter tire than the Michelin Pilot Alpins. And when I went to a winter driving school a few weekends ago, more than a few instructors commented favorably about the capability of the tires in the snow and ice.