PDA

View Full Version : Silly Rabbit Intercoolers question

cruzanrs6
September 26th, 2018, 01:02
I learned just today that they are no longer using the OEM tanks. Sean has as source for cast tanks that he is now using (has been for some time). Was having issues issues cleaning, prepping used tanks. Has anyone purchased his IC's with his sourced tanks and had any fitment issues (or anything else)?
Thanks - Scott

SteveKen
September 26th, 2018, 17:39
I did a 6MT conversion earlier this summer and the person had me install them. I'm not a fan at all. The end tanks were ok but are not as smooth as the stock castings.

my biggest issue is the quality of the cores. Namely there weren't many and the find were sparse and also filled with the brazing material.

There were no tabs for the inlet ducts and the lower bolt holes were tapped to an M7 thread. Who does that? I'll try and dig up some photos I took of them to share my displeasure with the owner who bought them. edit. found them on my phone and will try to upload them tonight .

cruzanrs6
September 26th, 2018, 18:24
Thanks. I would like to see the pics.
You could also text them to 971-777-0789

JettaGLi16v
September 26th, 2018, 18:43
Hey, Steve!

What's your opinion on the Wagner IC's? I assume you've handled a few in your day... I know one of my intercoolers has a small leak, and I was leaning towards the Wagners, as Apikol has a core charge. Plus, the CF shrouds are kinda pretty. Besides, selling my old IC's as cores will take a few hundred off the cost of the Wagners.

Thanks!

SteveKen
September 27th, 2018, 01:25
Thanks. I would like to see the pics.
You could also text them to 971-777-0789

Right click to open the Hi-Res image separately.

http://www.kendrish.com/galleries/RS6/misc/SRM_RS6_SMIC/20180509_005618.jpg

http://www.kendrish.com/galleries/RS6/misc/SRM_RS6_SMIC/20180519_171059.jpg

http://www.kendrish.com/galleries/RS6/misc/SRM_RS6_SMIC/20180519_171104.jpg

http://www.kendrish.com/galleries/RS6/misc/SRM_RS6_SMIC/20180519_171113.jpg

These paled in comparison the Bell cores I had welded onto the stock end tanks. As you can see, not many rows. Not much surface area. They simply look cheap.

SteveKen
September 27th, 2018, 01:32
Hey, Steve!

What's your opinion on the Wagner IC's? I assume you've handled a few in your day... I know one of my intercoolers has a small leak, and I was leaning towards the Wagners, as Apikol has a core charge. Plus, the CF shrouds are kinda pretty. Besides, selling my old IC's as cores will take a few hundred off the cost of the Wagners.

Thanks!

I prefer to use the stock grilles and fog lights. I also prefer the flexibility of the stock shrouds which makes the bumper easier to install.The Wagners are nice though.

I guess the bottom line is the dyno. I doubt anyone is willing to do a thorough comparison of all the ICs out there for the RS6.

nubcake
September 27th, 2018, 10:59
Don't buy SRM.
Wagners are decent.
Bell cores with stock tanks - best bang for the buck, I guess. Depends on welding cost.

JettaGLi16v
September 27th, 2018, 14:26
I prefer to use the stock grilles and fog lights. I also prefer the flexibility of the stock shrouds which makes the bumper easier to install.The Wagners are nice though. I guess the bottom line is the dyno. I doubt anyone is willing to do a thorough comparison of all the ICs out there for the RS6.

Thanks for the reply!
Can I ask why you prefer stock grilles? I was thinking the Wagner grilles would be advantageous, because of the extra opening area. I can definitely see what you are saying about the stock shrouds being more flexible.

lswing
September 28th, 2018, 16:54
Thanks for the reply!
Can I ask why you prefer stock grilles? I was thinking the Wagner grilles would be advantageous, because of the extra opening area. I can definitely see what you are saying about the stock shrouds being more flexible.

I run the Wagner IC's, but still have stock grills in place with fog lights. Blocks a minimal amount of airflow I would say. Also, the carbon shrouds do not look good at all, mine are a bit warped and yellowing, not nice clean shiny carbon. You have to really look to see them anyhow. I did get my set used, but the yellowing is probably from years of normal use. The carbon is also poorly formed by hand it seems with plenty of odd weaves and bends.

Overall the Wagner's are great, although I swear I notice a bit more turbo lag due to the extra volume, maybe I'm just crazy?

No real info performance wise, they don't leak! I also run water meth so IC cooling is not as big of a need.

I can get a few pics probably if you want.

bethridg
October 1st, 2018, 05:33
Plus, the CF shrouds are kinda pretty.

The only disappointment I have with the Wagner CF shrouds is they are really thin. Like one sheet of carbon thin. However, they are rigid. I was just expecting more based on the few other carbon pieces I've encountered.