PDA

View Full Version : 2013 S6, no-tune, turbos are blown, as per the dealership

Kgnast
July 16th, 2018, 02:32
Hey guys,

Anyone have experience with the amount of time it takes to swap out the blown turbos with new or replacement units? What are the turbos part numbers?

By any chance? Does anyone who upgrade still have their stock OEM units?

I'm trying to help out a friend who's 2013 S6, 71k miles, has torched it's snails. He got a $12k quote from Audi Manhattan, and a $10k quote from a NJ dealership.

UrS6
July 16th, 2018, 03:08
Hey guys,

Anyone have experience with the amount of time it takes to swap out the blown turbos with new or replacement units? What are the turbos part numbers?

I'm trying to help out a friend who's 2013 S6, 71k miles, has torched it's snails. He got a $12k quote from Audi Manhattan, and a $10k quote from a NJ dealership.
Go to an independent shop and get the turbos rebuilt. The dealer is going to give you the two-finger-bingbong!

UrS6
July 16th, 2018, 03:19
Also read this https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/807178-S6-S7-RS7-S8-4-0T-turbo-failure

maybe Audi will cover it if you bitch enough. See if the recall was done on it. Looks like a lot of failures are after the dealer does the recall. But if it’s on your dime I’d go somewhere else

RS2racer
July 16th, 2018, 11:55
If he is the original owner, Audi of America will pay/assist up to 70% of the total cost if they can determine that the car was never flagged for a TD1 ( tune ) . He needs to both call Customer Service and email Customer Experience.

The original batch of 4.0T turbos have issues. There's been a TSB on them. Same manufacturer that supplies them for the Nissan GTR actually. He will want the new ones as they are completely reworked with better oiling.

Hey guys,

Kgnast
July 16th, 2018, 14:54
Yes, he's the original owner, and no, it's never had a tune to be flagged for a TD1.

If he is the original owner, Audi of America will pay/assist up to 70% of the total cost if they can determine that the car was never flagged for a TD1 ( tune ) . He needs to both call Customer Service and email Customer Experience.

The original batch of 4.0T turbos have issues. There's been a TSB on them. Same manufacturer that supplies them for the Nissan GTR actually. He will want the new ones as they are completely reworked with better oiling.

RS2racer
July 16th, 2018, 15:54
Then have him fight for the assistance... he'll get it for sure.
I know of 3 owners that did this past Spring. Its a known fairly
widespread issue.

DHall1
July 16th, 2018, 17:07
12k for turbos

give me a break. You can buy a RS6 for 12k

50-70k is all you get out of S6 turbos? Buddy had his cam tensioner go as well. $$&&$$

ya think I'm selling any of my RS6s? I regret selling any of my past RS6s as well

mrdave
July 16th, 2018, 18:37
Its a known fairly widespread issue.

Which models/years are affected?

Wide-66
July 16th, 2018, 18:47
Sell as is :)

ttboost
July 16th, 2018, 22:52
Pretty sure you can have turbos off in 2-4 hours....Can't imagine it's more than a couple grand to rebuild (someone like Blouch)

Kgnast
August 13th, 2018, 19:15
I just wanted to follow up with everyone here.....

Dealership/AoA covered turbos, gaskets, miscellaneous and he ended up paying $2,900 + tax for the labor.

Hey guys,

ttboost
August 13th, 2018, 19:39
Sounds like a lucky break...good for him...