PDA

View Full Version : Time to let mine go! Advice please.

StevieG.
June 25th, 2018, 20:34
Hi folks, finally decided to let mine go, very tough decision as I really love the car. I am stunned to see how little money some of these are going for, and was thinking of listing it around $27,000. Am I out of my mind? It runs great, with one occasional annoying issue - every couple of months, I get a CEL for a check sum error, whihc shuts down the boost. Pull the battery cable, reset, and good to go. There is a custom tune on it From Solo Motorsports here in the Atlanta area. I have another ECU that goes with the car.
Thoughts on value with the modifications listed? Bring A Trailer the best place to sell it? Thanks for any help and advice. 1856618568185691857018571

Cmnair
June 25th, 2018, 20:59
Very nicely setup car! BaT is probably the best option with very knowledgeable people there. How many miles on the car? And overall condition and history? There is an MTM RS6 on BaT with 19k Miles bidding at $26.5k last I saw. Might be difficult to get that price but you never know. Hanging on to mine!

StevieG.
June 25th, 2018, 21:16
97,500 miles, overall excellent condition. I have dumped a TON of money into it since I bought it in 2008 with 29,000 miles on it, and is has had 100% of maintenance done on time and as needed. Other than the random CEL, the only issue I am aware of is the cup holder next to the parking brake handle wont stay down.

Just listed it on AutoTrader, should be up in 24-48 hours. I think mine looks better than the others there :)

SteveKen
June 25th, 2018, 22:36
Your ECU is experiencing the tuner protection limp mode. Tuners familiar with this should be able to code around it. If it's happening every couple of months then you must not be driving it very much. I think tuner protection kicks in after 100 miles after a reset. Maybe you can get it sorted prior to sale.

DHall1
June 25th, 2018, 22:43
Screw bat

auto trader is best. Could take a year to get that number

BTW great looking car. Hold out for the number

StevieG.
June 25th, 2018, 22:54
Thanks for the heads up on the tuner protection limp mode - any additional info? Is it Audi code to prevent custom tunes? They have done plenty of other Audis at this shop, mine is the only one experiencing this. Any info is appreciated, I will definitely get it fixed. Any experts willing to speak with my tuner?

nubcake
June 26th, 2018, 01:48
Thanks for the heads up on the tuner protection limp mode - any additional info? Is it Audi code to prevent custom tunes? They have done plenty of other Audis at this shop, mine is the only one experiencing this. Any info is appreciated, I will definitely get it fixed. Any experts willing to speak with my tuner?

This one is RS6 specific, I guess.
Can be patched out with relative ease by someone who knows what he's doing.
Another option - use a different base file for the tune. Euro one, 366304 - is a common choice as it doesn't have that issue.

StevieG.
June 26th, 2018, 14:18
Anyone recommend a tuner in the Atlanta area?

travish325
June 27th, 2018, 14:19
$27,000?? Wow. Not trying to say that's a bad price, just curious if that's the going rate right now for these. Wonder what my 73k mile 6-speed swapped beast would fetch?

StevieG.
June 27th, 2018, 14:33
Hey Travish325, there have been some that have gone in that range, however I listed it on AutoTrader for 22,900. Looking at the other RS6s on that site, I feel mine is worth more. The only real value is what someone is willing to pay for it.

How much did your conversion cost? That would be a next step if I was going to keep mine, it is currently tuned down to about 500 ft lb torque to keep the trans safe.

travish325
June 27th, 2018, 14:47
Hey Travish325, there have been some that have gone in that range, however I listed it on AutoTrader for 22,900. Looking at the other RS6s on that site, I feel mine is worth more. The only real value is what someone is willing to pay for it.

How much did your conversion cost? That would be a next step if I was going to keep mine, it is currently tuned down to about 500 ft lb torque to keep the trans safe.

It's actually in the process right now with Steve Kendrish. Shoud have it back in a couple weeks. Total cost is approximately $8000; however, I am a little over that as I went with a bigger clutch and had some other work done while everything was apart. My car also has full three inch exhaust, gutted cats, Wagner intercoolers, and will have bigger injectors and pumps soon. I'm curious what I could get for it.

DHall1
June 27th, 2018, 15:08
I'd rather spend 8k on a Steve conversion than 10k on another slushbox.

papadoc
June 28th, 2018, 05:29
GLWS. Looks great, and evokes memories of my #1. Some of the mods would make for a tough sell in states like mine with onerous DMVs. I miss my Hella Smokes, don't know if they ever left Arizona...

StevieG.
June 28th, 2018, 16:54
Thanks Papadoc - no issues with passing emissions, although I did have one very fun incident with a guy at the emissions place. We had quite an exchange about catalytic converters and mufflers, and I had recently got the car back from the shop without the intake hoses reinstalled. He asked me to pop the hood and his jaw just hit his chest :) He had no idea what he was looking at with those two large openings and nothing but engine stuffed in there. He just mumbled something and handed me the test results with a Pass..... it was classic.

DHall1
June 28th, 2018, 17:57
In a box on the shelf. You want them?

here is a pic for some Daytona fans. Don't sell the well sorted cars people. You will regret

GLWS. Looks great, and evokes memories of my #1. Some of the mods would make for a tough sell in states like mine with onerous DMVs. I miss my Hella Smokes, don't know if they ever left Arizona...

StevieG.
June 28th, 2018, 19:32
Hey Dave, if you mean the intake hoses, I do have mine installed, all good. I have been hearing that these would start to go up in value, do you know something I don’t? That answer is likely yes in a lot of areas but asking about the values.

Cmnair
June 28th, 2018, 19:37
Damn Dave car looks great!

StevieG.
June 28th, 2018, 20:45
That does look awesome, and the backdrop doesn't hurt either!

DHall1
June 28th, 2018, 21:04
Thanks all! I really should keep my cars cleaner!

keep the miles down and enjoy the cars when you can get them out and really open em up. Wolf Creek pass and Silverton Co up the 550 hwy this week so far. Car is flawless and eats mtn roads like a kid in a candy store.

Values will not go down on sorted cars.

Papadoc....I have your Hella tails. Do you want them?

papadoc
June 29th, 2018, 04:43
Papadoc....I have your Hella tails. Do you want them?

Would love to have them back! I'll PM you.

StevieG.
July 13th, 2018, 21:05
Shout out to Nubcake for helping with the P0601 issue on the tune! It feels like a whole different car.