PDA

View Full Version : Seriously considering buying 2013 S8, knowledge and opinions please

CBeau
April 11th, 2018, 04:28
This is technically an S8 forum too no? Even though I, like seemingly most here, are here for our beloved and infamous, loved and sometimes hated RS6s. Friend is selling his 2013 S8, its really nice, Daytona gray with what he says is "silver" interior, diamond stitched all Gucci looking - I typically prefer dark interiors but light makes look roomier, carbon trim - I think all S8s had that. He daily drove it except salty weather, it has 45k mi.s. It has a $10k set of tasteful and Audi-ish looking 22" 3 pce. ADV1 wheels on it and has stock set. It has a miltek cat back, I think all else stock. 1 yr. of warranty left and all dealer serviced with records. Its super clean inside and out except one headlamp has bad 1" gouge in it I know could not be sanded/polished out. Interior looks new, bolsters and all. Has the $6k option B&O stereo but not moveable rear seat option. I can get it for a very fair wholesale-ish / dealer trade in type price, and I do know how to accurately verify that range.

I know a fair amount about and keep up with a lot of cars / car releases etc., but I know far from all about all cars, and I was surprised to learn it is not a double clutch trans. Its 8 speed. I'm not totally averse to viscous autos and have some auto AMGs I love, but I am kinda RS6 tranny gun-shy. S8 is ZF box too, and I've had many ZF gearbox cars but mostly Porsches and all sticks or double clutches. Granted I know ZF is one of, if not the, largest OEM gearbox makers on the planet and surely all their viscous autos aren't a whimper away from implosion. Anyone know much about these cars, trans, any other known issues, things to look out for? Will it take a tune without fear of death? Its fast as is, real fast, and smooth. I'm already playing my usual internal head games about it.... i.e. could get a comparable S63 for about $10k more. But I'm not even sure I'd rather have S63 and I like buying cars I know from people I know (usually) and it just seems rare cool and I think I like it.

Any opinions, knowledge, commentary is much appreciated..... positive or negative..... constructive or flippant.... I don't care.

DHall1
April 11th, 2018, 04:35
Buy the S8! The trans is good as gold even with a tune

the only reason I haven't bought an S8 is price. They hold their value better than AMGs. Lol.

I agree with knowing where the car came from. Buy it or send me the info and I'll buy it. The MMR on 13s are getting to my sweet spot.

ttboost
April 11th, 2018, 21:03
Yeah...just do it and be done with it...

UrS6
April 11th, 2018, 21:33
Yeah...just do it and be done with it...
Enjoying yours? I might be considering one too.

ttboost
April 11th, 2018, 21:53
Yep...never looking back...RS6 can hug my nuts...no offense...

fukinavit
April 12th, 2018, 03:49
For sure buy it, they are getting real cheap now. Use it as the daily and then at weekends and special occasions get the RS out and treat yourself.

ZCD2.7T
April 12th, 2018, 09:03
Buy it.

The trans is great - just like in the RS7, it’s the only trans Audi offers that can handle the torque of the S8’s 520hp TT V-8.

It’s a mid- to high 11-second car stock, and 10s are only a tune away. The only thing I don’t like about them is that the rear seat doesn’t fold down, a feature I’d really miss... YMMV.

mrdave
April 12th, 2018, 15:51
The ZF 8HP is solid, and everywhere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission#Applications

Bigglezworth
April 12th, 2018, 18:10
The exclusivity that Audi used to offer with RS models has been quashed with their latest platforms. The same engine is available in the S and the RS which I personally think is sacrilegious. There should be some elite aspect to paying for the RS to which no other models have.

bethridg
April 12th, 2018, 19:15
I don't know if I agree with that assessment. Really the RS6 had been the only model with an exclusive engine combination until recently. All others have been a tweaked version of the A/S model offering (exception with the B8 S4/RS4, TT/TTRS, S3/RS3). But otherwise agree RS models should always set themselves apart from the rest of the line-up which I think they accomplish in other ways.

fukinavit
April 12th, 2018, 19:27
The S8 is a very nice car but it's no RS. It's nice to get the odd glance or acknowledgement from another car guy who knows/ respects what the RS is about. It's kinda like having an M5 Beemer and then a 5 series with the M5 styling package.

Bigglezworth
April 12th, 2018, 19:37
The S8 is a very nice car but it's no RS. It's nice to get the odd glance or acknowledgement from another car guy who knows/ respects what the RS is about. It's kinda like having an M5 Beemer and then a 5 series with the M5 styling package.Right, but the 5 series doesn't come with the M motor.... That's the point I'm making with the RS vs S models. They should have different motor options. That is what sets it apart from the rest.

fukinavit
April 12th, 2018, 19:44
Right, but the 5 series doesn't come with the M motor.... That's the point I'm making with the RS vs S models. They should have different motor options. That is what sets it apart from the rest.

Exactly, kinda where I was going. The RS is unique.

RS2racer
April 12th, 2018, 21:20
The exclusivity that Audi used to offer with RS models has been quashed with their latest platforms. The same engine is available in the S and the RS which I personally think is sacrilegious. There should be some elite aspect to paying for the RS to which no other models have.

Well as a former Audi USA employee I can tell you that you're 100 % wrong thinking that.

The RS6/7 v8's are classified internally as "Heavy Motor" class. I can't elaborate too much other than a different crank and there's a whole lot more forged internals than the S6/7 lumps. What you pay for in an RS-R8 car is that its made at our Neckarsulm Quattro GMBh plant and there's far less robotics involved during assembly. These cars are loved by lots of Hans,Franz and Gertrude's .

ttboost
April 12th, 2018, 21:46
I drove the RS7 first...liked it, didn't love it. And that sportback...Yuck. I guess I like the "plain Jane" understated look of the S8...oh...and the shifter...this is another thing that separates them...probably doesn't matter to most...but the RS7 shifter looks just like the S6 shifter...LOVE the S8 shifter, although it DOES take some getting used to. At the end of the day, the D4 S8 is about as rare a car as a RS anything...And 11.83 @117 bone stock...against a modded Challenger Hellcat.

Bigglezworth
April 12th, 2018, 22:11
Well as a former Audi USA employee I can tell you that you're 100 % wrong thinking that.

The RS6/7 v8's are classified internally as "Heavy Motor" class. I can't elaborate too much other than a different crank and there's a whole lot more forged internals than the S6/7 lumps. What you pay for in an RS-R8 car is that its made at our Neckarsulm Quattro GMBh plant and there's far less robotics involved during assembly. These cars are loved by lots of Hans,Franz and Gertrude's .Well as a consumer I feel it's a more than hidden unknown internals and the factory it's made in. What matters to me is the fact that the car is visibly different, and noticeably better performing from the lower model. You can't tell me that Audi's approach to putting as much or equal amount of power in to the S6 as that of the RS6/RS7 fulfills that. The C5 and C6 chassis had noticeable differences in drivetrain performance and noticeable differences in engine power levels. There used to be an easy to market delta between a N/A 4.2/5.2 engine and that of a TT 4.2/5.2. Now you get near the same result from an S6 with a tune as an RS6 from a tune which for me as a consumer defeats the purpose of purchasing the more exclusive model.

bethridg
April 13th, 2018, 00:04
Well as a consumer I feel it's a more than hidden unknown internals and the factory it's made in. What matters to me is the fact that the car is visibly different, and noticeably better performing from the lower model. You can't tell me that Audi's approach to putting as much or equal amount of power in to the S6 as that of the RS6/RS7 fulfills that. The C5 and C6 chassis had noticeable differences in drivetrain performance and noticeable differences in engine power levels. There used to be an easy to market delta between a N/A 4.2/5.2 engine and that of a TT 4.2/5.2. Now you get near the same result from an S6 with a tune as an RS6 from a tune which for me as a consumer defeats the purpose of purchasing the more exclusive model.

We're enthusiasts. We'll always have a mega checklist of must-haves. It's something you have to deal with being a second-class consumer. Until you, me and many more like-minded individuals are capable/willing to drop the coin on a brand new flagship model we have little room to demand. Otherwise, we'd be surrounded by the V8TT/V10 manual trans wagons many of us so desire. For now, I'm content picking at the scraps of those more fortunate when they become obtainable a decade later. Except the RS7, that sportback styling will never grow on me. The S8, however, mmmm yeah...

ZCD2.7T
April 13th, 2018, 03:54
...Now you get near the same result from an S6 with a tune as an RS6 from a tune which for me as a consumer defeats the purpose of purchasing the more exclusive model.

You seem to be forgetting the 10 years that passed between the C5 RS6 and C7 S6... The standard of performance has moved on, which is "progress" in most people's books. That's why a C7 RS6 or RS7 is SO much quicker/faster than the C5 - that's progress.

RS6s/RS7s with tunes run mid 10s, while S6s with tunes run mid-11s, so the performance gap between them remains - "...same as it ever was". (/Talking Heads)

fukinavit
April 13th, 2018, 04:20
I drove the RS7 first...liked it, didn't love it. And that sportback...Yuck. I guess I like the "plain Jane" understated look of the S8...oh...and the shifter...this is another thing that separates them...probably doesn't matter to most...but the RS7 shifter looks just like the S6 shifter...LOVE the S8 shifter, although it DOES take some getting used to. At the end of the day, the D4 S8 is about as rare a car as a RS anything...And 11.83 @117 bone stock...against a modded Challenger Hellcat.

:boring:

Bigglezworth
April 13th, 2018, 16:44
You seem to be forgetting the 10 years that passed between the C5 RS6 and C7 S6... Well that's an insult. I wasn't forgetting whatsoever. High 10 vs. a mid 11 is a lot closer than high 11 vs. a mid 14. Clearly progress has been getting times faster and faster - it's just not as wide a spread which IN MY OPINION doesn't warrant the exclusivity and $$$ being demanded. I think what's fair to say is that because we can't get the newer C6 & C7 models in North America that we are fine with the S6 and the fugly RS7 models that are accessible.

Aronis
April 13th, 2018, 17:48
Dam, I have to stop coming to this website also, stopped looking at Facebook and will not go back! LOL.

This thread is FRIGGEN DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad is coming for a visit tomorrow with his 2015 S8.......(Daytona Grey with black and all options) used .....

Now this thread.....

Should have worked through lunch..

Now I want one too.

LOL.

I was just looking at CPO RS7 performance on-line this morning....$98,000. YIKES. The right foot can overpower the eyes on that one!

But not the wallet.

Mike

(friggen check engine light came on on Tuesday, have not scanned it yet, friggen RS6....)

ttboost
April 16th, 2018, 00:08
Soooo, how'd you enjoy the seat time in the D4?

ZCD2.7T
April 16th, 2018, 13:56
Well that's an insult. I wasn't forgetting whatsoever. High 10 vs. a mid 11 is a lot closer than high 11 vs. a mid 14.

You can try to manufacture an insult out of my comments if you like, but I can assure you that none was intended.

C5 RS6s run 12.7-13.1 stock according to ALL contemporary tests. C5 S6s ran 13.6-14 flat. So about 1-second difference.

C7 RS6/7s run about 11.5, and C7 S6s run about 12.2-12.5, again about a 1 second difference. Tuned, the gap remains about 1 second.

Add to that the "heavy motor" facts previously mentioned, plus DRC and IMO the RS6RS7s certainly set themselves apart.

Aronis
April 16th, 2018, 18:07
Soooo, how'd you enjoy the seat time in the D4?

It was just parked in my yard, no seat time. LOL> I have driven it before. I like to stay the hell away from newer nicer cars for my wallets sake. Kind of glad I don't live a half hour away from an Audi dealer which actually has cars in stock. The one an hour north never has much on the lot. LOL.

Kind of like living an hour from the nearest Apple Store. Safe distance.

Mike

Bigglezworth
April 16th, 2018, 21:45
You can try to manufacture an insult out of my comments if you like, but I can assure you that none was intended.

C5 RS6s run 12.7-13.1 stock according to ALL contemporary tests. C5 S6s ran 13.6-14 flat. So about 1-second difference.

C7 RS6/7s run about 11.5, and C7 S6s run about 12.2-12.5, again about a 1 second difference. Tuned, the gap remains about 1 second.

Add to that the "heavy motor" facts previously mentioned, plus DRC and IMO the RS6RS7s certainly set themselves apart.Clearly we aren't speaking the same language, or not understanding things correctly from either party. You cite there still being a 1 second gap which I just don't understand. Members on this forum are citing they are at, or near to getting their newer S6's breaking in to the high 10's. I have no recollection of anyone on this forum or the other forums running a second faster with high 9's in their RS7/6's. I do see many citing mid 10's for the newer C7 RS6/7's which is a half a second difference as I have it in my head.

As for the C5 S6's, there is no way a base line S6 is/was running 13.5 seconds. I have one. They are mid 14's - maybe lower when the planets align. Tuned, 'maybe eek out another 3/10's or even possibly a miraculous half a second faster max. A tuned C5 RS6 easily cracks 12's and is in high 11's with a few other odds and sods. This is what I have in my head as being a significant larger delta in the S to RS models than today's delta and prefaced my comments on the matter.

papadoc
April 17th, 2018, 02:09
[QUOTE=Bigglezworth;290085]Clearly we aren't speaking the same language, or not understanding things correctly from either party. You cite there still being a 1 second gap which I just don't understand. /QUOTE]

Very few S6 or RS7 posters on this board, but from another board comes this spreadsheet with documented times for stock and tuned RS7s and C7 S6s. Without the timeslip, it didn't happen. Only one 2014 s8 in the list.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=2BAACCDFFF88F25F!109&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AJfRkgCu8GqqyOs

ZCD2.7T
April 17th, 2018, 03:34
...This is what I have in my head as being a significant larger delta in the S to RS models than today's delta and prefaced my comments on the matter.

What's "in your head" with regards to performance isn't accurate, according to other, unbiased sources:

2007 S6, 13.8 @ 104: https://s3.amazonaws.com/amv-prod-cad-assets/files/2007-audi-s6-vs-bmw-m5-m-b-e63-amg0702-bullet-powertrain-ss.pdf

Another reference post for that C7 1/4 mile times info, from Audizine:
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/734821-C7-S6-S7-RS7-4-0T-1-4-mile-database?p=12008674&viewfull=1#post12008674

It takes bigger (RS6/7) turbos, a race fuel tune, downpipes, an intake and an exhaust get a C7 S6 into the 10s, which is why I quoted $8K as a starting point to "RS6Goals" in that other thread.

A C7 RS6/7 will be in the high 10s with a tune and possibly an intake - or maybe $2-3k total outlay.

So, whether stock to stock, or with a similar amount of money spent on tuning, the 1-second difference remains consistent for the C7...

Very few S6 or RS7 posters on this board, but from another board comes this spreadsheet with documented times for stock and tuned RS7s and C7 S6s. Without the timeslip, it didn't happen. Only one 2014 s8 in the list.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=2BAACCDFFF88F25F!109&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AJfRkgCu8GqqyOs

Thank you.

(and there's me and my car, pretty much at the end of the list, because my car is stock/unmodified)

DHall1
April 17th, 2018, 06:58
I spent the evening tinkering with my 08 CL600. Everything works! It's a miracle

its fast
its comfortable
distronic plus and night vision
the seat adjustments are out of this world
did I mention everything works

calif 1 owner no paint work. Black black

I see a similar equipped S600 or S65 in my future.

My S8 may need to wait awhile. This car is cool and dirt cheap.

ttboost
April 18th, 2018, 01:30
Cheap until something breaks...I had my SL65 tuned for a week, and on my way to the track, a coil pack calfed...check engine light, skipping like DHall1 at a RS6 meet, and barely made it home...average cost for a rack of coils is $1000, can be had for $700ish if you hunt around...oh and there's 2 of them...(I still have a good one, if you know someone in need)

DHall1
April 18th, 2018, 05:11
Yep, mine have been changed already along with the valve cover gaskets that leak oil down and ruin the plug boots that short out the coil packs.

But I still may take that pack off your hands.

Lol

ttboost
April 18th, 2018, 19:15
Lemme know...I just went downstairs to verify I am actually still in possession of said coil pack. I am. I believe left side...drivers side...I have a set of airboxes too, with the hoses...if you feel like tinkering. I started airbox mod, then bailed. Hard to find...PM me for info...if you care...sorry for the derail everyone...