PDA

View Full Version : Your predictions on the upcoming RS6

Klint
February 17th, 2004, 00:13
Hi!

Since the new A6 has been uncovered, I thought it would be fun for us fans and Rs6 owners alike to predict what the next RS6 will have that will differentiate it from the rest of the field. When it is launched we can see who was closest in their prediction.

You can be as brief or detailed as you wish.

- 19" Wheels of somesort
- 8 Piston FA/6 Piston RA brakes
- 1700kg weight
- quattro (obviously)
- 6 speed semi auto/paddle shifter
- quad exhaust
- special carbon touches, both inside and out
- modified W8 powerplant from VW (taking a gamble on this one!)
- aprrox. 550-600bhp

:thumb:

Benman
February 17th, 2004, 02:46
Most sounds believable except the weight (i'd say 1900kg minimum) and the engine (either V10 or V8 based).:cheers:

Ben:addict:

sturs6
February 17th, 2004, 16:03
Klint,
Your line up looks great.
The one thing I would like to see if possible is the Direct Shift Gearbox. :incar:
:addict:

Audihead
February 17th, 2004, 16:03
I would say a V-10 because of the new M5. I think Audi is trying to get away from turbos except in the case of the A4. Too many problems. They have plenty of V-10 knowledge with Lambo on board. Also a must for this car is a modified version of the DSG system the Tip just doesn't cut it for a car of this caliber.

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

Finnus
February 17th, 2004, 18:08
Klint,

I agree with your specs in almost all respects (including the 1700 kg weight, although that might be tough with Quattro), but I think the engine will be limited to 500 hp V-10, probably normally aspirated. I would also like to see the magnetic shocks and a choice between a manual or a DSG transmission (like the Gallardo).

I think we'll have a long wait at any rate.

Finnus

Benman
February 17th, 2004, 18:13
1700kg would be sweet but very optimistic. Think about it. Even our Beasts are over 1850kg. I have yet to see Audi make a new body style lighter than the previous model. 1900kg seems WAY more realistic.:cheers:

gnomik007
February 17th, 2004, 18:22
Twin turbo would be very nice especialy with all the aftremarket stuff that would follow,but nat. aspirated V10 will do nice as well
(as long as it is better than BMW:bye2: )

I think at least an optional DSG is a must because BMW SMG kicks ass so they need to beat that.

Lookswise I have all the confidence in Audi designers to produce one very agressive looking beast.

Now we just sit and wait.

Erik
February 19th, 2004, 21:13
I hope for:

* V10 :hahahehe:
* manual, e-Gear and 7-speed tiptronic :incar:
* DRC - adjustable from within cockpit
* quattro - peaked 40/60 perhaps :thumb:

Since these type of cars are about comfort with a sporty character I don't expect the weight to be low.
These customers don't sacrifice on comfort, but still want to be fast and :cool2:

I could hope for a 'carbon fibre' race version of the S3 and the RS4. That would be ultra cool! :race:

bilbozilla
February 20th, 2004, 21:42
1. V-10
2. Twin turbos
3. A weight distribution nearer to a 50/50 split
4. Sub twin ton weight
5. Adapter for seamless iPod integration into stereo (a simple plug is all)
6. 500+ HP
7. 6 speed DSG w/ the twin clutches and paddle shifts
8. Exemption from speeding violations
9. Air conditioned seats like the A8
10. WAY improved brakes
11. Model specific colors
12. 19' wheels standard

That should do it.

Audihead
February 20th, 2004, 22:03
#8 Would be the best option!:dig:

jgun81
February 22nd, 2004, 02:39
Just two things.
about 550hp and manual TM (don't like SMG)
500hp doesn't really impress me because we can already
make our car over 500hp with one chip.
E55 already has493hp and I heard new M5 will have over 500hp.
So, new RS6 gotta have more hp than those two to compete.

Finnus
February 22nd, 2004, 13:06
While we're dreaming, here's a few additions:

Option for 500 hp or 600 hp Super RS (SRS) Version using the V-10 (LMQ) or the W-12 TT (Beat the C65 AMG)
Recaro Seats
Better Weight Distribution
A Real Spare Tire the Fits in the Tire Well
Battery Out of the Trunk

Finnus

Benman
February 22nd, 2004, 18:15
Originally posted by Finnus
While we're dreaming, here's a few additions:

A Real Spare Tire the Fits in the Tire Well
Battery Out of the Trunk

Finnus

:D

Erik
February 22nd, 2004, 19:53
One more thing.

I hope that the Audi RS6 and RS4 will get some kind of new active chassis.

In recent exhibitions Audi has shown a system where the suspension can be set (from inside the car I presume) by regulating a magnetic field. The fluid in the system is magnetic
so it gets stiffer as magnetism increases and vice versa.
I just read that the new Chevy Corvette will be offered with a similar system. :thumb:

Benman
February 22nd, 2004, 20:09
Originally posted by Erik
One more thing.
In recent exhibitions Audi has shown a system where the suspension can be set (from inside the car I presume) by regulating a magnetic field. The fluid in the system is magnetic
so it gets stiffer as magnetism increases and vice versa.
I just read that the new Chevy Corvette will be offered with a similar system. :thumb:

Yep. And it is available on the current Vette as well. Audi using GM technology? Seems a step down:D

Audihead
February 23rd, 2004, 21:52
Originally posted by Benman
Yep. And it is available on the current Vette as well. Audi using GM technology? Seems a step down:D

It's on select Caddies as well. It's a really neat liquid to fill the shocks with. It was created I believe by Rod Millen in Cali. I think it started out as an experiment for the H1 Hummer shocks for the military. Definately not a step down. The stuff costs about $2,500 a gallon.

Benman
February 24th, 2004, 04:55
Originally posted by Bimmerhead
Definately not a step down. The stuff costs about $2,500 a gallon.

That's nothing. Gold costs over $50,000.00 a gallon! All joking aside, no it's pretty cool stuff and seems to work well.:cheers:

Nordschleife
February 24th, 2004, 08:31
Originally posted by Bimmerhead
It was created I believe by Rod Millen in Cali.

Thats OK then, its an exotic kiwi technology!

R+C

Erik
February 24th, 2004, 08:49
I guess something like this (quattro LeMans)

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/45926.jpg

Magnetic Ride Control

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/45919.jpg

gnomik007
February 24th, 2004, 17:52
Any ideas on when they will show us the first glimpse of the next beast? I can't wait to see what its gonna look like.

Erik
February 25th, 2004, 00:11
I finally found what I was looking for:

Magnetic Ride Control

"The spring and shock absorber settings are firm, to ensure the highest possible level of road dynamics, but the level of ride comfort that they offer is none the less most remarkable. This is because the shock absorbers feature an innovative technology known as ‘Audi magnetic ride’. Instead of the conventional hydraulic fluid in the shock absorber, it contains a ‘magneto-rheological’ fluid, the viscosity of which can be varied by applying a magnetic field. The electronic control system energises an electromagnet which can be used at any time to influence the shock absorber’s operating characteristic.

In this way the most suitable level of damping can be provided in every driving situation, for optimum ride quality and dynamic road behaviour. A computer uses signals from sensors to detect the actual driving situation within a few thousandths of a second. A switch is provided at the steering wheel for the driver to choose between two driving programmes, either an emphatically sporty one using the magneto-rheological shock absorber fluid at low viscosity, or the alternative setting for greater ride comfort."