PDA

View Full Version : DTC 16840 - Evap Emission Control System

nene
February 16th, 2004, 21:52
Got a Check Engine Light (CEL) with the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) as follows:

16840 - Evap Emission Control Sys: Small Leak
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

According to the On Board Diagnostics (OBD) (http://1.8t.org/~quattroman/Audi%20B5%2097-2001/Fuel%20injection%20and%20ignition/AEB/ODB/01-1%20ODB%20&%20DTC.pdf), it states on page 34 that a leak was detected, and that checking the system for leaks should be done using KLI9210 EVAP tester.

Went to the dealership about a week later, as this did not seem to affect the power of the beast.
They smoke tested the system but found no leaks. They opted to just clear the code for now, and only mess around mechanically if the issue persists.

It seems they've seen a few other Audi's with this code lately, and they've just chosen to clear the code. They blamed on potentially the very cold weather we've seen lately, and that if the car is left outside, it could be that something in the system prevented a valve to close once, and created the CEL.

Car is okay for now, as it never really seemed as if anything was ever wrong with it.
Figured I'd post this, in case others had seen it, or will see it in the future. I use VAG's UNI-COM system to check the CELs.

PS: Erik, is it possible to have the OBD pdf file locally, in case others needed in the future? Just an idea!

Klint
February 20th, 2004, 00:02
Didn't JAXRS6 (?) Have a similar thing happen to him?

Or someone who had a chip installed and their was excess boost causing the pressure leak problem to occur. I only remember it faintly.