PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the modded C5 RS6 at? 500awhp to 800awhp+?

RS6Goals
March 9th, 2018, 08:10
I picked up a 03 RS6 and was looking at some mods list.
I find it hard to believe that I'm having difficulty locating build threads for this thing(considering its been out for a long time). I guess I'm spoiled coming from the LS community where everything has been documented at every power level.

I'm looking for 550awhp to start and eventually move into the 700-800awhp later down the line.

aside from the basics.
Intake/full exhaust (or in my case im going with boost cutout)
chip/tune/raise boost
intercooler upgrade (or not as i don't have a problem injecting 50/50 meth)

What are some of the common routes that people take in upgrading this car?
Considering that I can't seem to find a turbo that will fit.

Thank You

RS2racer
March 9th, 2018, 14:21
To get to 550whp you'll need to do an O1E 6spd manual swap with the JHM rebuild kit. This gives you the improved 1st & 2nd gear collars. You'll also need Steve K's O1E swap kit and a ClutchMasters HD clutch. It's now official that Tial 605's fit as Tim Haugan's RS6 ( former Sportec Project 6spd car ) is up and running w/ a pair .

With above mods you'll also need new injectors, fuel pump, Wagner IC's , etc...and most importantly a tune. Maybe he can chime in . Corn juice is your friend for the HP you're looking for.

lswing
March 9th, 2018, 16:26
Welcome! There are many threads on here. 500-550 hp/tq is fairly common. 600+ is highly debatable due to the $10-20k needed.

Don't use the search on here. Use Google and type "site:rs6.com turbo upgrade", or your choice of terms.

You basically need to upgrade the headers, turbos, injectors, pump, cooling, tune for $15k, then you will blow the auto trans, then you can do the 6-speed swap, then you sell the car...this is typical pattern:)

GreggPDX
March 9th, 2018, 16:57
I also came from the LS and Mustang worlds, and you won't find nearly the amount of build-info for the RS6. The market is just too small. Even the the other Audi's (B5S4, etc...) have far more information.

That said, there is still info out there, you just have to dig around a bit for it. First tip: use Google site search to search here. For example try "site:www.rs6.com (http://www.rs6.com) turbo upgrade" and see what you get.

In general, there are 3 "stages" for the RS6:

(caveat - there are not enough examples to specifically say "do X and Y and get ZZZ horsepower". The numbers I give below are very rough and you can probably find several examples to prove me wrong)

Stage 1: exhaust work and a tune. Stock exhaust is quite good, so just gutting the pre-cats will get you most of the possible power at this stage. You also want to make sure everything is working right on your car too, for example check for leaking intercoolers, MAF's are sealing, plugs/filters are good, etc... I think this stage is good for roughly 400whp (this is very rough, since like mentioned above, we don't have a big database to draw from)

Stage 2: Bolt-on hybrid turbos, fuel injectors, fuel pump, bigger exhaust, bigger intercoolers, meth injection, maybe intake. This stage should get roughly 500whp

Here ends the things you can reasonable do with the stock transmission in place, and even here you'll probably want to explore some of the upgraded transmission options out there. AMD in Seattle is doing some interesting stuff with upgraded internals. To move forward, you'll need to swap to the 6-speed for both physical space and transmission longevity. Also, you are starting to push the limits of the stock rods, although that's definitely open to debate.

Stage 3: Bigger turbos (Tial 605/770/880), Garret GT Eliminator, etc... You'll need at least custom piping for the turbo inlet, and probably custom downpipes. If you really want to get the most out of the turbos, get custom custom tubular manifolds as well. Full 3" exhaust and some sort of custom intake. Probably going to need even bigger fuel pump(s), and might need to put on bigger rails. This is where you want to also take a hard look at building up the block a bit (rods, maybe lower compression pistons, cams, head work, etc...) These setups can push 600-700+ whp, but very few examples of cars like this exist, and the $$$ are getting pretty huge at this point.

Again, there is a lot of good info out there if you spend time poking around, and feel free to ask any other questions!

GreggPDX
March 9th, 2018, 16:58
Welcome! There are many threads on here. 500-550 hp/tq is fairly common. 600+ is highly debatable due to the $10-20k needed.

Don't use the search on here. Use Google and type "site:rs6.com turbo upgrade", or your choice of terms.

You basically need to upgrade the headers, turbos, injectors, pump, cooling, tune for $15k, then you will blow the auto trans, then you can do the 6-speed swap, then you sell the car...this is typical pattern:)

I love that we use exactly the same search example. We need a sticky that talks about searching this site!

lswing
March 9th, 2018, 19:02
I love that we use exactly the same search example. We need a sticky that talks about searching this site!

Ha, I noticed that, well done!

DHall1
March 9th, 2018, 21:15
3,31,115 in turbo mode

:-)

Im out

MaxRS6
March 9th, 2018, 21:29

nailed it...hahahahaha

Of course someday, somehow, someone will show up with their tamed unicorn...;0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

mrdave
March 10th, 2018, 02:53
I find it hard to believe that I'm having difficulty locating build threads for this thing(considering its been out for a long time).

Welcome. The main issues with making huge hp numbers with this car is physical space (as in there isn't any) and heat management. The other is that the production numbers were extremely low so you're not going to find a ton of aftermarket support. 550whp is doable, but much more than that becomes cost prohibitive.

The main hp upgrades you'll find are: manual 6sp 01E swap, ECU tunes, (Wagner) intercoolers, and w/m to help manage heat. Both the intake and exhaust are quite good in stock form, especially the black "sound enhanced" exhaust. To get to 550whp you're probably also looking at upgraded turbos, a fuel pump, injectors, and a custom tune.

This guy apparently now owns the infamous Sportec "RS600" and is having AMD work it over. Looks like he's got a dyno run claiming 650whp: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbR5vntgwCC/?taken-by=timhaugan

RS6Goals
March 10th, 2018, 04:12
Thanks for all the reply guys and thanks for the heads up.

At what point does the engine need upgrade? Is 600awhp fine in stock form?

Aside from manual swap to make room
I’m a bit confused on why the cost is so high considering that they don’t look like they include engine upgrade?

I mean 10 to 20k NOT including the manual swap?

Are you guys including labor or just parts?

DHall1
March 10th, 2018, 04:42
Ez 15k in parts alone plus the 6 speed conversion

you need custom exhaust manifolds, turbos, fuel

nubcake
March 10th, 2018, 10:30
It is possible to cut some corners, but it still won't be cheap at all.
Engine can hold 600ish for a while, provided it's adequately tuned and will not be overheated (read over-abused).

Ballpark parts prices:
- turbos 3k
- fueling 1.5k
- intercoolers 1.5k
- exhaust 1.5k
- various little bits and pieces - easily 1-2k on top.
- optionally MT conversion, can easily run 5k+ on its own.

Then you add repairs/maintenance pieces, labor, tune, etc - and it sums up nicely to 20+.

mdegracia
March 10th, 2018, 14:21
It adds up fast as you end up doing a lot of ancillary work while you have the motor out.

And it couldn't be any further from an LS. There is very little information out there for support aside from this forum. And Napa will not have those last minute parts you may find you need in a pinch. If you choose to take on the project it will take a lot of pre-planning and parts acquisition to keep the schedule moving. Otherwise, expect ample down time.

RS6Goals
March 11th, 2018, 08:09
It is possible to cut some corners, but it still won't be cheap at all.
Engine can hold 600ish for a while, provided it's adequately tuned and will not be overheated (read over-abused).

Ballpark parts prices:
- turbos 3k
- fueling 1.5k
- intercoolers 1.5k
- exhaust 1.5k
- various little bits and pieces - easily 1-2k on top.
- optionally MT conversion, can easily run 5k+ on its own.

Then you add repairs/maintenance pieces, labor, tune, etc - and it sums up nicely to 20+.

Wow is this audi pricing?

Intercooler pretty sure I can cut that cost to $350 on a front mount style
exhaust $400 straight through mandrel bends from downpipe back or 250 for cutout
what do you count as various parts? Maintenance parts should not be counted. 1-2k is a big range to budget for misc

I havent looked at fueling but tons of new pump that range in the 120-200 that will flow 600+
injectors = this will probably be the most expensive maybe 600-1k
intake = 150, it amazes me that people pay 700+ for al piping and a filter...
turbo will be dependent on what I can make work.hmm hoping I can get this down to 600-700 range.

Im thinking stock exhaust manifold will flow the 600awhp.

Ive been doing some more reading and looks like the major concern is space for the turbo.

A manual swap will take care of the auto trans limitation and free up space.

Tried the google search thing. Had better luck but still not able to find information like details on what people are using. Ill keep digging

I should probably add that I build my own stuff and fab my own parts

nubcake
March 11th, 2018, 11:04
All I can tell you - you're welcome to try.
You will quickly find out that it's not me "over-quoting" prices, but that your thinking is overly optimistic, unless you're okay with hacking together a barely functioning frankenstein, that doesn't resemble RS6 anymore.

There's no space to fit a proper FMIC, unless you get rid of the AC and relocate oil & PS coolers.
Exhaust manifolds may be able to flow 750chp, but finding proper turbos that will bolt there and flow enough - is a completely different thing. A pair of used TD05s might fit your budget, but you'll spend a lot of time making them fit.

"Various little bits" are the stuff that you don't count, but it quickly adds up. Gaskets, hoses, sensors, hardware, yadda yadda. Depending on how involved your build is going to be, it can vary a lot.
Bottom line of that message was: don't expect to "cheap out". Again, you can cut corners, but don't expect anything close to "LS community" prices with this car.

You didn't find any details, because there aren't many documented "big" builds. Usually the biggest thing people do - MT & hybrids. And that just barely touches 500whp mark. Try searching for "Milka build thread".

DHall1
March 11th, 2018, 15:05
I didn't even get to start the popcorn.

FMIC....I guess you could screw it to the front of the bumper.

All joking aside, till you hold one of these exhaust manifolds in your hands....you will quickly realize the limits.

RS6Goals
March 11th, 2018, 16:59
All I can tell you - you're welcome to try.
You will quickly find out that it's not me "over-quoting" prices, but that your thinking is overly optimistic, unless you're okay with hacking together a barely functioning frankenstein, that doesn't resemble RS6 anymore.

There's no space to fit a proper FMIC, unless you get rid of the AC and relocate oil & PS coolers.
Exhaust manifolds may be able to flow 750chp, but finding proper turbos that will bolt there and flow enough - is a completely different thing. A pair of used TD05s might fit your budget, but you'll spend a lot of time making them fit.

"Various little bits" are the stuff that you don't count, but it quickly adds up. Gaskets, hoses, sensors, hardware, yadda yadda. Depending on how involved your build is going to be, it can vary a lot.
Bottom line of that message was: don't expect to "cheap out". Again, you can cut corners, but don't expect anything close to "LS community" prices with this car.

You didn't find any details, because there aren't many documented "big" builds. Usually the biggest thing people do - MT & hybrids. And that just barely touches 500whp mark. Try searching for "Milka build thread".

Thanks for pointing me to Milka's build. Thats EXACTLY what im looking for. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Not really sure why cheap/low price would automatically mean barely functioning Frankenstein/cutting corners. There are things that can be built/buy cheap(IC/fuel pump/turbo/exhaust/intake/etc) and things you just have to pay for (inj/tune/ECU or flasher/conversion/etc).

Prior to this car, I built a custom turbo set up on a 98 ws6 for less than 2.5k(including turbo and little things). That set up was my DD at 600whp for 2 years(until I sold it because I wanted AWD Turbo V8 to take care of street traction issues :hihi:). That car retained AC.
Before that, I built a 530awhp talon,500hp turbo v8 260z, and a few supras. Currently also working on LS swap vega

Not sure if you're aware but there are turbo's on the market now that runs $350 that last 20-30k+ and able to push 600-800whp+. A single $150 pump can flow enough to run 600whp. I was really hoping people have tried these type of build so I wouldn't be wasting time trying to figure out what to mix and match. But I guess I'll take the hit for that. Worse case scenario I spend what you quote which wouldn't be so bad since I purchase the car rather cheap anyways.

Thanks for the heads up :thumb:

RS6Goals
March 11th, 2018, 17:01
I didn't even get to start the popcorn.

FMIC....I guess you could screw it to the front of the bumper.

All joking aside, till you hold one of these exhaust manifolds in your hands....you will quickly realize the limits.

Funny you say that because i was just looking at ebay to see if I can find a cheap one to try out instead of pulling mine out just to see.

Aronis
March 11th, 2018, 17:33
This should be a fun thread to watch!

Let the games begin!

And don't forget about electronic gremlins that will BUST your balls to no end.

And......15 year old inner parts.......if your going to 'build' your engine to 600plus hp you have to rebuild your engine to 450 hp first.

Mike

RS6Goals
March 11th, 2018, 19:28
This should be a fun thread to watch!

Let the games begin!

And don't forget about electronic gremlins that will BUST your balls to no end.

And......15 year old inner parts.......if your going to 'build' your engine to 600plus hp you have to rebuild your engine to 450 hp first.

Mike

What kind of electronic gremlins are common on this car?
I had 2000 Jeep once with wiring issues... that was a pain.

hmm why would it need a rebuild for a mere 450hp when I'm seeing it can be pushed for 600hp?
car only has 120k.

isnt 450 is still in the chip/intake/exhaust category?

Aronis
March 11th, 2018, 21:35
What kind of electronic gremlins are common on this car?
I had 2000 Jeep once with wiring issues... that was a pain.

hmm why would it need a rebuild for a mere 450hp when I'm seeing it can be pushed for 600hp?
car only has 120k.

isnt 450 is still in the chip/intake/exhaust category?

It's 15 years old. The parts of the whole which allow the car to be able to produce 450 hp in stock form are WORN and not functioning at peak performance. Thus "rebuild the engine to make 450 hp first......" If you just add new components to a weak, elderly base engine, it will die! So in your quest for more power from this old platform ( as opposed to the early modified cars such as the MTM monster done with cars a couple years old with few miles on them) you must consider this also.

For example, my wire harness had to practically bare wires running to the secondary air pump. A wisp of insulation between them stood between function and fire!

Mechanical parts subject to friction and heat, for example the cam tensioner pads wear out and can have catastrophic effects, the repair takes several hours of labor and close to $1700 in parts. About 15 hours from a sitting car, but less than three if the engine is out.

Engine seals, which are difficult to get at without an engine pull, a transmission separation and many hours of labor, leak! - rear main seal flange for example.

The electrical gremlins I speak of are out there lurking for all of us with this old car to soon experience. Mark my words. I happened to be the first to see the failed DRC and predicted that every DRC would fail. Search the thread I posted 12 years ago. And now I am the first to see this issue with the odd short at fuse 15. Not much out there on it. DAM IT. (it goes to instrument panel and A/C some how, bentley manual is not complete in this). Other things just wear out, ignition switch, microswitches in doors, etc.

So if your goal is to take a 15 year old engine and maximize it's output at the crank, you have to make sure that its in the shape you need it to be to start! IE. "Rebuild it to 450 hp first."

Mike

Bigglezworth
March 11th, 2018, 21:47
OMG this is funny.

I don't profess to run the fastest RS6 out there, but I am a far cry away from the slowest. These cars can lay down 3.5 0-60 and 1.6 60ft time slips. They can also be in mid 11's in the 1/4mile WITHOUT different turbos or a 6spd. Run the numbers and you can quickly ascertain how much HP/TQ you're talking about to get a 4300-4400pb car that distance in that time.

To the original poster, how much faster do you need to be for a 4dr luxury sport car? You must really really want to prove a point. That or you have mounds of money in disposable cash. I can think of dozens of other rides out there that you will realize a more rewarding end result for less than this platform.

nubcake
March 11th, 2018, 22:38
These cars can lay down 3.5 0-60 and 1.6 60ft time slips. They can also be in mid 11's in the 1/4mile WITHOUT different turbos or a 6spd.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm yet to see <3.8 0-60 and <12 quarter from stock turbos automatic RS6 on pump gas. And I've seen many.

Realistically you're looking at low 4s and low 12s. Just barely sub-4s if you're lucky.
Talking "normal road conditions" ofc. Numbers you quoted might be achievable on prepped track.

EDIT:
Made an emphasis on what I was talking about. Not arguing that it can go faster on track and with some race gas mixed in.
But you shouldn't really be expecting to hang with all the new cars that can go mid 3s 0-60 on the way from grocery store.

Bigglezworth
March 11th, 2018, 22:57
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm yet to see <3.8 0-60 and <12 quarter from stock turbos automatic RS6 on pump gas. And I've seen a lot of them.

Realistically you're looking at low 4s and low 12s. Just barely sub-4s if you're lucky.
Talking "normal road conditions" ofc. Numbers you quoted might be achievable on prepped track.PM me. I have video....

RS6Goals
March 12th, 2018, 00:41
It's 15 years old. The parts of the whole which allow the car to be able to produce 450 hp in stock form are WORN and not functioning at peak performance. Thus "rebuild the engine to make 450 hp first......" If you just add new components to a weak, elderly base engine, it will die! So in your quest for more power from this old platform ( as opposed to the early modified cars such as the MTM monster done with cars a couple years old with few miles on them) you must consider this also.

For example, my wire harness had to practically bare wires running to the secondary air pump. A wisp of insulation between them stood between function and fire!

Mechanical parts subject to friction and heat, for example the cam tensioner pads wear out and can have catastrophic effects, the repair takes several hours of labor and close to $1700 in parts. About 15 hours from a sitting car, but less than three if the engine is out.

Engine seals, which are difficult to get at without an engine pull, a transmission separation and many hours of labor, leak! - rear main seal flange for example.

The electrical gremlins I speak of are out there lurking for all of us with this old car to soon experience. Mark my words. I happened to be the first to see the failed DRC and predicted that every DRC would fail. Search the thread I posted 12 years ago. And now I am the first to see this issue with the odd short at fuse 15. Not much out there on it. DAM IT. (it goes to instrument panel and A/C some how, bentley manual is not complete in this). Other things just wear out, ignition switch, microswitches in doors, etc.

So if your goal is to take a 15 year old engine and maximize it's output at the crank, you have to make sure that its in the shape you need it to be to start! IE. "Rebuild it to 450 hp first."

Mike

Oh your talking about a full reset. I belong on the other side of that thinking, I like to push what I have(after the basic maintenance/everything is up and running/comp/leak test.) If I'm opening the engine its getting upgraded internals, if I do that I will end up shooting into the higher hp goal.

Thanks for the heads up, ill make sure to double check the wirings when I drop the engine.

RS6Goals
March 12th, 2018, 01:08
OMG this is funny.

I don't profess to run the fastest RS6 out there, but I am a far cry away from the slowest. These cars can lay down 3.5 0-60 and 1.6 60ft time slips. They can also be in mid 11's in the 1/4mile WITHOUT different turbos or a 6spd. Run the numbers and you can quickly ascertain how much HP/TQ you're talking about to get a 4300-4400pb car that distance in that time.

To the original poster, how much faster do you need to be for a 4dr luxury sport car? You must really really want to prove a point. That or you have mounds of money in disposable cash. I can think of dozens of other rides out there that you will realize a more rewarding end result for less than this platform.

Why do you say 4300-4400? When I looked this up it's in 4100lbs.

I don't have a point to prove. I just like my cars to be fast (fast to me). It's unreasonable I know. Its just one of those things. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about otherwise, you probably wouldn't have owned an RS6.

Im all ears about the other platform. I've been searching for quite a while and this car meets 80% of my requirements.
I thought I looked at all options but It wouldn't surprise me if I missed one.

Just a heads up I'm picky to what I want. Heres something I require.
AWD
V8 torque
turbo preferred but SC is fine
manual prefered but willing to overlook(Yes I looked at manual conversion before I purchased this car)
Light (yea this is the only thing RS6 didnt meet for me)
5 seater(could be 4 if coupe)
power=this just means mods but a good base helps.

What I will no longer touch.
Torqueless wonders. even at 3.0L supras has a big lag(which is why I prefer v8) So this really cuts out the s4/wrx/evo/eclipse/talons
RWD at high power sucks on the streets. I was only at 600whp and with 315 DR I still had no 1st or 2nd traction.
and of course no 2 seater

Only option other than this car was building my own LS based AWD.

DHall1
March 12th, 2018, 02:40
Wait

let me go get some popcorn

bethridg
March 12th, 2018, 03:05
Your efforts would be better directed towards a C7 S6 or better yet an RS7 if you're into the sportback look. What you will spend in time/R&D/buckets of cash chasing this rabbit is readily available for that platform.

If you stick with the C5, tune it to a proven 525-ish hp, keep up on maintenance and enjoy it.

Bigglezworth
March 12th, 2018, 03:59
Why do you say 4300-4400? When I looked this up it's in 4100lbs.Dude. I don't know how skinny your ass is, but mine adds a solid 200+ soaking wet to that 4100, and if you then add a helmet and actually wearing clothes that day at the track, you're easily at 4300-4400....

RS6Goals
March 12th, 2018, 06:28
Your efforts would be better directed towards a C7 S6 or better yet an RS7 if you're into the sportback look. What you will spend in time/R&D/buckets of cash chasing this rabbit is readily available for that platform.

If you stick with the C5, tune it to a proven 525-ish hp, keep up on maintenance and enjoy it.

Im not following this logic. Unless im missing something isnt the c7 s6 only rated at 420hp? so even after a chipped RS6, s6 is more money for slower?

and not to be an @$$ but did you really just bring up a RS7 into this, I mean the price difference alone...I don't know about your financial situation but I certainly cannot afford a 100k car :lovl:

RS6Goals
March 12th, 2018, 06:38
Dude. I don't know how skinny your ass is, but mine adds a solid 200+ soaking wet to that 4100, and if you then add a helmet and actually wearing clothes that day at the track, you're easily at 4300-4400....

Oh, I wasnt talking track so I didnt know you were talking about race weight with driver type weigh in.

I'm still waiting for your suggestion btw. Id be happy to consider other options if it will actually be rewarding and not disappointing in the end.

I can think of dozens of other rides out there that you will realize a more rewarding end result for less than this platform.

DHall1
March 12th, 2018, 07:07
Youtube is your friend

10sec C7 S6 is simple bolt ons and a tune.

10sec C5 RS6 does not exist

all in a 10sec S6 will cost you under 40k

even if you picked up a cheap RS6 for 10k...30k does not get you in the 10s

Im not following this logic. Unless im missing something isnt the c7 s6 only rated at 420hp? so even after a chipped RS6, s6 is more money for slower?

and not to be an @$$ but did you really just bring up a RS7 into this, I mean the price difference alone...I don't know about your financial situation but I certainly cannot afford a 100k car :lovl:

RS6Goals
March 12th, 2018, 08:01
Youtube is your friend

10sec C7 S6 is simple bolt ons and a tune.

10sec C5 RS6 does not exist

all in a 10sec S6 will cost you under 40k

even if you picked up a cheap RS6 for 10k...30k does not get you in the 10s

I find it hard to believe that there's not a single C5 RS6 in the world that runs 10. Either way, I don't know why you're bringing up 1/4 mile times when I kept saying street DD use. All I was asking for was 600whp to start and moving into the 800whp category later down the line. are you telling me this isn't attainable too?

You must have a lot of money to burn to be throwing around a 40k car. I hope you can at least understand that not everyone can just dump an additional 30k in one go. Well at least I cant. :lovl:

Edit: Suppose to say I can't (drop 30k) not I can.

Does majority in this forum think this way too?

Bigglezworth
March 12th, 2018, 13:02
I find it hard to believe that there's not a single C5 RS6 in the world that runs 10. Either way, I don't know why you're bringing up 1/4 mile times when I kept saying street DD use. All I was asking for was 600whp to start and moving into the 800whp category later down the line. are you telling me this isn't attainable too?

You must have a lot of money to burn to be throwing around a 40k car. I hope you can at least understand that not everyone can just dump an additional 30k in one go. Well at least I can. :lovl:

Does majority in this forum think this way too?600whp is a stretch. Assuming 15-18% drivetrain loss anyway. 800whp is a waste of time on this platform. Parts are simply too expensive, and labour simply too high - even if you wrench and fab yourself. Yes, you have to account for your own time at some point when it starts to exceed 'maintenance'.

There 'might' be a C5 running a 10sec slip, but it's not on this forum. IF there is one, it's a far cry from normal and includes a host of $$$ to lay claim to doing so.

Asked and answered....

Bigglezworth
March 12th, 2018, 13:07
Oh, I wasnt talking track so I didnt know you were talking about race weight with driver type weigh in.
I don't understand your logic. Whether you're on the street, or on the track, you will always have a driver in the car adding weight to the total package that is being pushed along. Remove the jack, spare tire, and take a good dump before you leave home for othe day and you save a few pounds yes.

I'm still waiting for your suggestion btw. Id be happy to consider other options if it will actually be rewarding and not disappointing in the end.Porsche, C7 Audi platform, SRT Grand Cherokee are a trio that pop to mind for AWD. The list opens up for RWD options.

RS6Goals
March 12th, 2018, 13:58
I only talk about without driver because it's more consistent. Driver weight and gear vary. But a lot...

And Cherokee is out it's an SUV. Not to mention it's 4700... I'd be slower how is that any better as a base.
C7 can you be a bit specific? And pretty sure it's going to be pricey.
And I'm pretty sure any porsche that's worth discussing will be way too expensive.

mrdave
March 12th, 2018, 14:14
You could always go this route: https://blog.1aauto.com/2003-audi-rs6-ls1-engine-swap/

In all seriousness, one of these "big hp" threads from a new owner pop up on a semi-regular basis so we're all a bit salty. I'd honestly love to see someone mod the hell out of one of these cars but to my knowledge it hasn't been done yet because of what everyone here is saying. If you do attempt it, please post a bunch of pics. It would be fun to watch!

RS6Goals
March 12th, 2018, 14:17
600whp is a stretch. Assuming 15-18% drivetrain loss anyway. 800whp is a waste of time on this platform. Parts are simply too expensive, and labour simply too high - even if you wrench and fab yourself. Yes, you have to account for your own time at some point when it starts to exceed 'maintenance'.

There 'might' be a C5 running a 10sec slip, but it's not on this forum. IF there is one, it's a far cry from normal and includes a host of $$$ to lay claim to doing so.

Asked and answered....

And I'll be building it myself. I build cars as a hobby so I don't really track the hours. I've accepted the downside of having money pit of a project

And we will see I suppose since I don't plan to go for 800whp until 2-3 years from now. A lot can change from now till then.

RS6Goals
March 12th, 2018, 14:22
You could always go this route: https://blog.1aauto.com/2003-audi-rs6-ls1-engine-swap/

In all seriousness, one of these "big hp" threads from a new owner pop up on a semi-regular basis so we're all a bit salty. I'd honestly love to see someone mod the hell out of one of these cars but to my knowledge it hasn't been done yet because of what everyone here is saying. If you do attempt it, please post a bunch of pics. It would be fun to watch!

I saw that before on ls1tech. I had consider it since I'm pretty familiar with LS but the car is fully functional so to me it doesn't make sense.

And yea I notice that, I couldn't tell if it's purist mentality or something else. And I'll try not to disappoint.

On a side note what do you guys use to data log? Looking to make some comparison.

Bigglezworth
March 12th, 2018, 14:41

+1. It's my observations having worked on three different cars in varying levels of capacity that the challenge isn't the hand assembled Cosworth engine. It's the physical volume limitations. MOST owners will not go to insane levels of modification to adjust the physical parameters of the compartment, or the configuration of the engine and it's components. At least not owners that drive this car. Yes this car is the Devil in sheep's clothing and an Autobahn speedboat, but it's far from a track star.

I can easily modify the power output in my turbo Buick by running different turbo(s), along with other bolt-ons. I can also go to the extremes of fabricating something insane and still be further ahead because at least I had space....

If you don't already own a C5 RS6, then I think you first need to take a look at the space limitations before you pour your heart and sole in to thinking this is the route you wish to go. Long time members have all heard and seen the same optimism and excitement time over again and again.

Bigglezworth
March 12th, 2018, 14:43
This car burned to the ground if I recall correctly.

DHall1
March 12th, 2018, 14:44
Rosstech vag com

This was fun....I'm out.

3,31,115 in turbo mode

:-)

Im out

mrdave
March 12th, 2018, 14:46
On a side note what do you guys use to data log? Looking to make some comparison.

https://www.europaparts.com/general/brands/ross-tech-vag-com-diagnostic-systems-vcds-audi-volkswagen-seat-skoda.html

I don't think there are any other viable options.

bethridg
March 12th, 2018, 16:41

C7 S6
Can be had on the used market for ~$30k all day
420 hp, APR Stage 2 tuned to 600-ish hp $1.5k

C7 RS7
reaching mid-$50k's
560hp out of the box, APR tuned to 760hp $3k

Let me remind you that you've purchased a used $100k car (adjusted for inflation) for a fraction of the original MSRP. Unfortunately, people quickly forget it still has the maintance cost of that original price.

I know what I have, time & money, in my car over the past 4 years and it's easily reached the entry fee to a C7 S6 and still is nowhere near ready to support the power numbers you're aiming for.

The point being there are better options out there for your goal. Many have come and gone after realizing this. If you're bent on sticking with the C5 take a look at the extensive work done on the RS600 to get to 650whp, maybe reach out to Corbett himself. Somewhere in the instagram comments, AMD mentioned building a second would be quicker but likely cost more. Dig up the old Milka build thread, it's fantastic and a shame he went silent a few years back.

Good luck! Looking forward to anything new on this topic.

To stir the pot a little, I saw these on rs246 a while back.

https://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125456
https://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=127304

Aronis
March 12th, 2018, 21:00
C7 S6

C7 RS7
reaching mid-$50k's

]

B I N G O, Bingo was his name oooooo

Mike

CBeau
March 12th, 2018, 22:14
I've probably seen 4-5 of similar threads / aspirations in my brief time here, and no slight to the OP or his ambitions.... just observing..... but I seem to recall the 4-5 previous went from being all about it and totally talking it up, researching and math and blueprints and plans etc.... and some I think actually tried to get started... but then not only seemed to throw in the towel (or their busted bank account) in relatively short order, but then totally disappeared from the forum altogether. Like dreaming hard and vocally to totally turning to ghost vapor in the matter of a few months. Good luck though. If your trans is good and you're limited budget as you say, you might as well sell it now while its worth something before you blow it up bc you will.

CBeau
March 12th, 2018, 22:25
These cars.... the way they were engineered and built and their age..... IMO if you can keep it running the way it was originally built and intended to perform and keep it reasonably reliable.... you're doing really good, and will enjoy it and have fun with an iconic badass super-sedan of yesteryears, instead of very possibly coming to hate it and adding it to the already well populated CR RS6 graveyard.

Aronis
March 12th, 2018, 22:35
These cars.... the way they were engineered and built and their age..... IMO if you can keep it running the way it was originally built and intended to perform and keep it reasonably reliable.... you're doing really good, and will enjoy it and have fun with an iconic badass super-sedan of yesteryears, instead of very possibly coming to hate it and adding it to the already well populated CR RS6 graveyard.

Well Put CBeau!

Mike

DHall1
March 12th, 2018, 23:04
Yes we have all been here and seen the threads.

Happens when these are hitting 8-10k for rough riders

cbeau you sound like me. I enjoy mine for what they are. Period

ttboost
March 12th, 2018, 23:42
No comment...or at least a helpful one...

RS6Goals
March 13th, 2018, 04:32
C7 S6

C7 RS7
reaching mid-$50k's

Let me remind you that you've purchased a used $100k car (adjusted for inflation) for a fraction of the original MSRP. Unfortunately, people quickly forget it still has the maintance cost of that original price.

This is all well and good but again why is this even still being discussed after I said that its out of the budget. Im trying to build things on the low and you guys are recommending a path that would triple the price.(you're talking about entry price too)

Dont get me wrong if I can drop 30k now ill seriously consider those options you guys are suggesting.

BTW what did you mean by "maintance cost of that original price"? This is new to me. Car is a car and the most part its pretty much all the same. Some just needs less maintenance.

DHall1
March 13th, 2018, 04:36
What he said

Move along....there is nothing to see here

No comment...or at least a helpful one...

RS6Goals
March 13th, 2018, 04:37

Yea, about that. If I wanted to keep it stock Id much rather spend it on other cars to be honest.

I can, however, understand why you guys feel this way. Thanks for explaining that to me.

Unfortunately at this point im still interested in pursuing my goal. If I fail or bail so be it, but I know I'd regret it if I didnt try.

Bigglezworth
March 13th, 2018, 04:43
>sigh< lol

RS6Goals
March 13th, 2018, 04:45
Well, Thanks for all the feedback guys. This has been informative, I definitely found out some things to watch out for and found out some great info.

Ill start a build thread when I start planning that 550-600whp

Aronis
March 13th, 2018, 16:21
RS6Goals,

More power to you, I for one will be watching your progress either way. You asked for advice and got some, but you can still pull it off.

Take and post lots of photos!

Mike

ttboost
March 13th, 2018, 16:23
Yeah. historically, this is typically where we would never hear from you again...but good luck if you trudge on...Make damn sure you hate your money and have lots of time...

RS6Goals
March 14th, 2018, 00:23
Yeah. historically, this is typically where we would never hear from you again...but good luck if you trudge on...Make damn sure you hate your money and have lots of time...

I take it you're not a hobby builder?
It's all part of the process. Historically people that aren't a hobby builder don't "get" why we build shit when its not broken or for no apparent logical reason. (Its called a money pit for a reason). It's not that I hate money or have lots of time, I just like building more.

ttboost
March 14th, 2018, 00:30
It's all part of the process. Historically people that aren't a hobby builder don't "get" why we build shit when its not broken or for no apparent logical reason. (Its called a money pit for a reason). It's not that I hate money or have lots of time, I just like building more.

I am..and being one of the first and few to convert my RS6 to a manual, I can tell you from experience, that your goal is lofty. I had the same intentions as you...but once I had the engine out the 2nd and 3rd time, I realized how much fun this car wasn't to work on and with...
I respect your desire, as most here do, but trust us...we've seen this desire come and go just as quickly...

Stephencl
March 14th, 2018, 01:31
RS6Goals,

I am not going to dissuade you. I am in to an Avant RS6 recreation for oodles of money. My Cam Chain tensioner just failed on my engine with 156K on the clock...so I bought a brand new short block, and have basically gone from the ground up on building a car with a very solid 500-550HP goal. This includes the following:

1) Brand new short block from Audi... Maye the last one.
2) 53K mile heads ported, polished, three angle valve job
3) Intake manifold ported and jet hot coated
4) Thicker head gaskets
5) Larger fuel injectors
6) Will test both stock and custom FMU intake, not the one from the group buy
7) TTE MTM spec Turbos with clipped good for 720-750HP
8) Custom stainless steel exhaust manifolds from The-tuner in Austria, Jet hot coated
9) Full Miltek 200 cell exhaust
10) revised fuel pump and pressure regulator

Believe me, I know I could have had an RS7 for these kind of funds, but it is NOT an Avant, and it is NOT an RS6!!!

Will post some photos soon...

Aronis
March 14th, 2018, 01:31

I get you, it's a hobby with a fun outcome! If you can pull it off and make it work, all the pleasure comes from that success!

Get started!!!!!!!

Mike

Aronis
March 14th, 2018, 01:34
RS6Goals,

I am not going to dissuade you. I am in to an Avant RS6 recreation for oodles of money. My Cam Chain tensioner just failed on my engine with 156K on the clock...so I bought a brand new short block, and have basically gone from the ground up on building a car with a very solid 500-550HP goal. This includes the following:

4) Thicker head gaskets
5) Larger fuel injectors
8) Custom stainless steel exhaust manifolds from The-tuner in Austria, Jet hot coated

Believe me, I know I could have had an RS7 for these kind of funds, but it is NOT an Avant, and it is NOT an RS6!!!

Now you're talking! Great project.....and a brand new short block to start off with!

Mike

DHall1
March 14th, 2018, 03:01
I stopped over and licked the short block last week

and the cylinder heads.....well they belong in a museum

mrdave
March 14th, 2018, 03:18

Yes please!!!

GreggPDX
March 14th, 2018, 04:07
RS6Goals,

4) Thicker head gaskets
5) Larger fuel injectors

This is doing it right.

Can you elaborate a bit on the "MTM spec" turbos? Do you know what the difference between those and the TTE650 that they offer for the C5 RS6?

RS6Goals
March 14th, 2018, 06:47
I am..and being one of the first and few to convert my RS6 to a manual, I can tell you from experience, that your goal is lofty. I had the same intentions as you...but once I had the engine out the 2nd and 3rd time, I realized how much fun this car wasn't to work on and with...
I respect your desire, as most here do, but trust us...we've seen this desire come and go just as quickly...

I know I haven't dropped the engine on this car but I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem with that. I enjoy working on the car more than actually driving them, and this type of work looks minor to me. I mean everything is there it's just upgrading, Just need to plan what I want and take my time with it.

attached pics. Heres where I'm coming from.
1st is my last project(98 ws6) This is what im expecting the project to be. More of less fitting a turbo(in this case bigger turbo instead of putting one on) without losing any accessory on an engine bay that's tight.
2nd/3rd one (Vega) is my current project. Pretty much cut the whole firewall/floor because I wanted to get as close to 50/50 and in the middle of dropping an LS. Obviously 100% custom everything.
4th. Is an old project. It also when I got a little too carried away and put a turbo v8 on a Datsun :lovl:

Needless to say, Im not one to shy away from a project no matter the scale.
I have lost count how many times I've pulled an engine out on a project. I'm sure I'm into the 20-30+ times if you count mock-up. and this only 4 of the projects that ive built...

BTW if your not familiar with Fbody, on the ws6 you also drop the Engine UNDER the car... I do that without a lift in my garage.

RS6Goals
March 14th, 2018, 06:54
RS6Goals,

4) Thicker head gaskets
5) Larger fuel injectors

Sounds like a lot of big-ticket items. Curious is the work being done by you or a shop?

also whats the hp goal on the car?
and what the price tag on the exhaust manifold? I don't really want to build one if they are reasonably priced.

Or maybe just reflange the stock one and see how far you can push it :jlol:

Thanks for posting, please keep up posted.

ttboost
March 14th, 2018, 12:53
I know I haven't dropped the engine on this car but I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem with that. I enjoy working on the car more than actually driving them, and this type of work looks minor to me. I mean everything is there it's just upgrading, Just need to plan what I want and take my time with it.

attached pics. Heres where I'm coming from.
1st is my last project(98 ws6) This is what im expecting the project to be. More of less fitting a turbo(in this case bigger turbo instead of putting one on) without losing any accessory on an engine bay that's tight.
2nd/3rd one (Vega) is my current project. Pretty much cut the whole firewall/floor because I wanted to get as close to 50/50 and in the middle of dropping an LS. Obviously 100% custom everything.
4th. Is an old project. It also when I got a little too carried away and put a turbo v8 on a Datsun :lovl:

Needless to say, Im not one to shy away from a project no matter the scale.
I have lost count how many times I've pulled an engine out on a project. I'm sure I'm into the 20-30+ times if you count mock-up. and this only 4 of the projects that ive built...

BTW if your not familiar with Fbody, on the ws6 you also drop the Engine UNDER the car... I do that without a lift in my garage.

Fair enough. I guess being 10 yrs from retirement, my priorities are different now...good luck on the project...I'll be watching for sure...

Stephencl
March 15th, 2018, 04:02
This is doing it right.

Can you elaborate a bit on the "MTM spec" turbos? Do you know what the difference between those and the TTE650 that they offer for the C5 RS6?

So they start as the TTE650's... TTE does all the turbo work for MTM...the turbos on my MTM RS6 are insane....

I asked the guys to make them the same spec....they said sure....thats all I know....As I get more details, I will pass it along.

Warm regards,

Stephen

spoolinrs6
March 16th, 2018, 13:59
according to this video im putting down 650hp. I honestly think im nowhere near that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzNOficZaw

lswing
March 16th, 2018, 14:34
according to this video im putting down 650hp. I honestly think im nowhere near that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzNOficZaw

Oh god, not that again...you are correct in your assumption, butt dyno ftw. Fake news!

fbatwork
March 17th, 2018, 12:02
Have you looked into the EFR turbos, likely something that fits and has built in waste gates. Nice technology, very good performance...

RS6Goals
March 19th, 2018, 04:14
Have you looked into the EFR turbos, likely something that fits and has built in waste gates. Nice technology, very good performance...

I have not but i was not planning on using internally gated turbo since they tend to get in the way.
Its a bit for pricey as well.

Im thinking along the lines of gt3072 / t3

Cold
inducer 55mm

Hot
Inducer- 60mm
Exducer- 55mm

Should be good for 600awhp and still capable of 800awhp when pushed.

another im looking at is gt35 / 61mm / t3

might be a bit laggy though.

mrdave
March 26th, 2018, 03:16
I'll just leave this here...

It's an S4 avant.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUz2b3NA-xV/?taken-by=mazhar_70

Ebtahi98
April 1st, 2018, 16:16
This is one of the funnier replies ! Lmao!!🤣

Corbett
April 7th, 2018, 18:45
Welcome. The main issues with making huge hp numbers with this car is physical space (as in there isn't any) and heat management. The other is that the production numbers were extremely low so you're not going to find a ton of aftermarket support. 550whp is doable, but much more than that becomes cost prohibitive.

The main hp upgrades you'll find are: manual 6sp 01E swap, ECU tunes, (Wagner) intercoolers, and w/m to help manage heat. Both the intake and exhaust are quite good in stock form, especially the black "sound enhanced" exhaust. To get to 550whp you're probably also looking at upgraded turbos, a fuel pump, injectors, and a custom tune.

This guy apparently now owns the infamous Sportec "RS600" and is having AMD work it over. Looks like he's got a dyno run claiming 650whp: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbR5vntgwCC/?taken-by=timhaugan

Hi. Thats my car. Its making near 700whp on a heartbreaker mustang dyno on 92+meth. Switching to e85 any day now. High compression engine should love it. Will update when I have something. Car is on stock exhaust manifolds fyi.

lswing
April 7th, 2018, 19:07
Hi. Thats my car. Its making near 700whp on a heartbreaker mustang dyno on 92+meth. Switching to e85 any day now. High compression engine should love it. Will update when I have something. Car is on stock exhaust manifolds fyi.

Glad it's up and running. You're on the Tial 880's or something like that correct? And fully open exhaust or high flow cats? C'mon you got to give us all the details!:) AMD tune, and it's manual correct? Handful of things bringing your whp up...

Corbett
April 7th, 2018, 20:43
Glad it's up and running. You're on the Tial 880's or something like that correct? And fully open exhaust or high flow cats? C'mon you got to give us all the details!:) AMD tune, and it's manual correct? Handful of things bringing your whp up...

They are called tial 880s. Basically tial 770s are a 2871 wheel these are 2873. Not a huge difference. Also larger comp cover. Downpipes are 3” no cats. Straight pipe with a X and 2 resonators. Not that loud actually. Block was rebuilt with ie rods, coated stock pistons. Heads redone with ferrea valves. All custom hardline fuel lines. Completely redone wiring harness and wire tuck. Custom inlets for turbos. Stock exhaust manifolds ceramic coasted. Custom intake setup. Bunch of other stuff. Also custom geared trans now with longer 1/2 and billet input shaft.

RS6Goals
April 7th, 2018, 22:03
They are called tial 880s. Basically tial 770s are a 2871 wheel these are 2873. Not a huge difference. Also larger comp cover. Downpipes are 3” no cats. Straight pipe with a and 2 resonators. Not that loud actually. Block was rebuilt with ie rods, coated stock pistons. Heads redone with ferrea valves. All custom hardline fuel lines. Completely redone wiring harness and wire tuck. Custom inlets for turbos. Stock exhaust manifolds ceramic coasted. Custom intake setup. Bunch of other stuff. Also custom geared trans now with longer 1/2 and billet input shaft.

Thanks for posting.
If you dont mind can you provide more details?
Do you happen to have the spec of the tials spec? more specifically exhaust wheel size? I cant seem to find this on google.
what intercooler are you using?
how much boost are you pushing?
are you using the stock Y (before the intake manifold)? or did you make a custom piece?

Well this looks like its already contradicting some people on here regarding the limit of the stock exhaust manifold.

Corbett
April 7th, 2018, 22:31
Thanks for posting.
If you dont mind can you provide more details?
Do you happen to have the spec of the tials spec? more specifically exhaust wheel size? I cant seem to find this on google.
what intercooler are you using?
how much boost are you pushing?
are you using the stock Y (before the intake manifold)? or did you make a custom piece?

Well this looks like its already contradicting some people on here regarding the limit of the stock exhaust manifold.

There is lots of info on tial 770s which are basically the same thing.

im still using the sportec intercoolers unless we determine they are hurting flow or have too much pressure drop.

right now it’s on wastegate boost 20psi or so. Not sure what we will run in the end. Depends what the car likes.

stock bipipe from intercoolers to throttle body.

and yes the same guys saying the exhaust manifolds are a restriction are the same guys who said this car wasn’t fast before it went in for upgrade, even though it still the highest trapping 1/4 mile Rs6 in the USA 5 years later.

lswing
April 8th, 2018, 01:59

im still using the sportec intercoolers unless we determine they are hurting flow or have too much pressure drop.

right now it’s on wastegate boost 20psi or so. Not sure what we will run in the end. Depends what the car likes.

and yes the same guys saying the exhaust manifolds are a restriction are the same guys who said this car wasn’t fast before it went in for upgrade, even though it still the highest trapping 1/4 mile Rs6 in the USA 5 years later.

Awesome, appreciate the details, sounds great!

RS6Goals
April 8th, 2018, 16:34

Yea im still having difficulty locating tial 770 spec. The only ones I found are questionable sources and it states:
Cold:
47mm
hot:
53.9mm
Is this correct?

sportec IC looks tiny, 270 x 270 x 64mm. Have you log your AIT? before meth and during meth inj?

what size nozzle are you spraying? and how many?
Is it progressive or consistent?
Also where is the placement?

I think with water/meth you can get away with a smaller intercooler(I've seen some run without IC). on my previous car my AIT would literally drop from 110 to 70 when it kicks on.

Have fun with E85, I was pushing 35psi on a daily and not a single issue :lovl:
Well with the exception of having to visit the gas station almost twice a week. Awesome gas sucks for daily use.

Thanks for posting. Its great to finally find someone here that has some power mods.

ZCD2.7T
April 8th, 2018, 17:18
Where did all of "Black SVT's" threads go? They'd certainly come in handy for "RS6Goals"....

ttboost
April 9th, 2018, 00:37
Yea im still having difficulty locating tial 770 spec. The only ones I found are questionable sources and it states:
Cold:
47mm
hot:
53.9mm
Is this correct?

sportec IC looks tiny, 270 x 270 x 64mm. Have you log your AIT? before meth and during meth inj?

what size nozzle are you spraying? and how many?
Is it progressive or consistent?
Also where is the placement?

I think with water/meth you can get away with a smaller intercooler(I've seen some run without IC). on my previous car my AIT would literally drop from 110 to 70 when it kicks on.

Have fun with E85, I was pushing 35psi on a daily and not a single issue :lovl:
Well with the exception of having to visit the gas station almost twice a week. Awesome gas sucks for daily use.

Thanks for posting. Its great to finally find someone here that has some power mods.

#methchangeseverything

Bigglezworth
April 9th, 2018, 03:53
Its great to finally find someone here that has some power mods.Funny. Corbet is one of the few (count less than a handful) that have gone to the extreme end of revising engine internals, tranny, turbos, etc. As mentioned by a number of people in this thread, it takes $$$. What Corbet isn't sharing is that the extra 100hp he's citing vs. a number of members cars on here comes with some decent coin. If you have the wallet to pay, then you must really really want to play. I can get three times as much additional power out of my Turbo Buick than I can out of my Turbo Audi for the same $ and that says something. Hell you could buy an AMG as a spare that has more power for the amount you will pour in to modifying the Audi.

Will keep watching the forum to see how you and your wallet fair with things.

RS6Goals
April 9th, 2018, 06:14
Funny. Corbet is one of the few (count less than a handful) that have gone to the extreme end of revising engine internals, tranny, turbos, etc. As mentioned by a number of people in this thread, it takes $$$. What Corbet isn't sharing is that the extra 100hp he's citing vs. a number of members cars on here comes with some decent coin. If you have the wallet to pay, then you must really really want to play. I can get three times as much additional power out of my Turbo Buick than I can out of my Turbo Audi for the same $ and that says something. Hell you could buy an AMG as a spare that has more power for the amount you will pour in to modifying the Audi.

Will keep watching the forum to see how you and your wallet fair with things.

I mean if you're looking at 800awhp I don't see a non built engine handling that much power. Not even LS based engine can handle that in stock form, they too need internals and your looking at what 5-10k+ in "built" engine. (although I think truck engine had a record of 900? before it went boom)

I'm hoping at 600-650 would be fine with stock internals. The rest of the mods should be interesting, money wise. That part I would have no problem sharing, I'm counting out pretty much almost all bolt-on power mods as a no go. Cant say too much just yet but I think I have a few things in the works right now.

Besides if I remember correctly from the start of this thread, the consensus was I would need 15k for parts ALONE, to get 600+.
20k+ if manual.
Just need to hit a fraction of that and I'm golden.

Its a good thing tunning isnt a "part" because that's a big ticket item :lovl:

eh the whole easy power thing is overrated. I think if your strictly track then yes go LS based. You cant beat the hp/$.

But if your dd or mostly street, hope you like all the wheel spin of that turbo buick at 600whp+.
Not to mention spinning all day unintentionally with just a bit of moisture/rain on the ground because of DR.
but hey to each their own, I just know I prefer something else now.

ttboost
April 9th, 2018, 13:00
No one said it was impossible...we just said it takes copious amounts of time and money...neither of which most people want to spend on a 15 year old car...and let's face it...we're all gearheads here, we ALL bought THIS car to mod it...hell it a TT V8...why not? Me personally, after my manual swap, I realized I still wasn't going to hit my goals (similar to yours, 550-600whp) any time soon...and I wasn't willing to spend that much loot on a dated platform with no tech...hell I didn't even have Bluetooth...(keeping in mind these cars were still $25k-$28k back then) I probably would have spent enough to buy a D4 S8, and wouldn't have had as nice a car...I still say good luck with your project...would love to see it...

RS6Goals
April 9th, 2018, 15:52
No one said it was impossible...we just said it takes copious amounts of time and money...neither of which most people want to spend on a 15 year old car...and let's face it...we're all gearheads here, we ALL bought THIS car to mod it...hell it a TT V8...why not? Me personally, after my manual swap, I realized I still wasn't going to hit my goals (similar to yours, 550-600whp) any time soon...and I wasn't willing to spend that much loot on a dated platform with no tech...hell I didn't even have Bluetooth...(keeping in mind these cars were still $25k-$28k back then) I probably would have spent enough to buy a D4 S8, and wouldn't have had as nice a car...I still say good luck with your project...would love to see it...

would you feel different if you had spend 4k or 10k for one?
I picked up one that has a likely blown trans for 4k. With a manual swap it will be a 10k car.
The first one i picked up has 120k miles and great condition/zero issues for 10k.
They are definitely now in the price range for modding. I wouldn't (and didnt) touch them back when they were 15-20k on average.

I can understand why people feel they are dated. If you want the latest and greatest in tech. Yea I agree you probably won't be satisfied. But theres also the other side of that where people are still dropping 10-15k+ on a much older platform.

And the only thing I'm really in disagreement with is the pricing of mods to get to 600whp+(with a stock engine). The majority(if not all that mentioned price?) in this thread is saying 15k-20k in parts and implying that it is "impossible" to do so with less significantly less. Other than that... they I think the rest is all "personal preferences".

thanks for the input.

Corbett
April 9th, 2018, 16:31

People drop ridiculous amounts of money in to 50 year old cars too. Its all about what car you like and what you want to spend.

Bigglezworth
April 9th, 2018, 16:45
And the only thing I'm really in disagreement with is the pricing of mods to get to 600whp+(with a stock engine). The majority(if not all that mentioned price?) in this thread is saying 15k-20k in parts and implying that it is "impossible" to do so with less significantly less. Other than that... they I think the rest is all "personal preferences".You can hit the 550-600hp rather readily. I well believe a number of members on this forum at this point. This is maxing the OEM turbo's which we have ALL told you. We have also been clear about lack of 'reasonable' space and the fact that it has been well documented that numerous failures from the ZF 5spd Tip occur when you push higher power.

Enter domino affect. In order to hit power levels similar to what they do with the 4.2 Audi in the Gumpert, you need a tranny that won't fail. You also definitely need to do turbo's along with hot and cold side enhancements. In order to do turbos, you need to find space. In order to get space, the easiest is to swap the 5Tip for a 6spd which kills two birds with one stone by giving improved resistance to breakage while gaining important space. It can be many thousands of $ for a swap as you need to include material costs alone for clutch, central and front drive shafts, tranny, custom flywheel/starter/adapter, ECU programming, ABS, linkage, pedals, etc. Then you need to decide on turbo's which can quickly cost $3K for the most basic. Add all your materials for refab and you're in to it for thousands - not including your FREE labour which you fail to assign a value to - even if it's pennies on the dollar.

We will all watch. Remember it's not impossible. It's just really poor bang for buck when you can get really good power that is only marginally less than what you're striving for with just a tune, exhaust, and perhaps intercooler updates.

travish325
April 9th, 2018, 17:25
They are called tial 880s. Basically tial 770s are a 2871 wheel these are 2873. Not a huge difference. Also larger comp cover. Downpipes are 3” no cats. Straight pipe with a X and 2 resonators. Not that loud actually. Block was rebuilt with ie rods, coated stock pistons. Heads redone with ferrea valves. All custom hardline fuel lines. Completely redone wiring harness and wire tuck. Custom inlets for turbos. Stock exhaust manifolds ceramic coasted. Custom intake setup. Bunch of other stuff. Also custom geared trans now with longer 1/2 and billet input shaft.

Did you have to modify the stock manifolds to bolt up to these turbos?

RS6Goals
April 9th, 2018, 17:36
You can hit the 550-600hp rather readily. I well believe a number of members on this forum at this point. This is maxing the OEM turbo's which we have ALL told you. We have also been clear about lack of 'reasonable' space and the fact that it has been well documented that numerous failures from the ZF 5spd Tip occur when you push higher power.

Enter domino affect. In order to hit power levels similar to what they do with the 4.2 Audi in the Gumpert, you need a tranny that won't fail. You also definitely need to do turbo's along with hot and cold side enhancements. In order to do turbos, you need to find space. In order to get space, the easiest is to swap the 5Tip for a 6spd which kills two birds with one stone by giving improved resistance to breakage while gaining important space. It can be many thousands of $ for a swap as you need to include material costs alone for clutch, central and front drive shafts, tranny, custom flywheel/starter/adapter, ECU programming, ABS, linkage, pedals, etc. Then you need to decide on turbo's which can quickly cost $3K for the most basic. Add all your materials for refab and you're in to it for thousands - not including your FREE labour which you fail to assign a value to - even if it's pennies on the dollar.

We will all watch. Remember it's not impossible. It's just really poor bang for buck when you can get really good power that is only marginally less than what you're striving for with just a tune, exhaust, and perhaps intercooler updates.

Please elaborate as perhaps I misunderstood. Is that 600hp at the wheels or at the crank?

because I'm thinking/talking about 600 at the wheels and if that's doable on stock twins I'm all for it. Don't get me wrong I'm always down to build but if I can push that on stock twins then Id rock it until I build an engine for 800awhp.

About space, theres space. The turbo may not end up where its currently located but theres plenty of space for upgraded twins or big single. (hint, im considering rear mounted if I cant fit it in stock location- I looked tons of room in the back.) So I don't really think that is a restriction anymore.
Manual swap is going to happen no matter what. And unless im mistaken theres a complete kit for 5k.(which works out great because I prefer manual vs auto)
and turbo cost is a fraction of that.
$678 for a par of t3 55mm
$718 for a pair of t3 61mm
$319 for a single t4 76mm or 70mm :lovl:

Yea I'm going to assign labor cost as 1 cent. or 100k. (meaning its irrelevant to me). I think I said this before but building is a hobby of mine, I enjoy the challenge and learning experience of building.
Or another way to put it, do you watch sports/tv shows? or play sports? or play an instrument? or any sort of hobby? etc? do you convert those hours into $$$?

Corbett
April 9th, 2018, 17:56
Please elaborate as perhaps I misunderstood. Is that 600hp at the wheels or at the crank?

because I'm thinking/talking about 600 at the wheels and if that's doable on stock twins I'm all for it. Don't get me wrong I'm always down to build but if I can push that on stock twins then Id rock it until I build an engine for 800awhp.

About space, theres space. The turbo may not end up where its currently located but theres plenty of space for upgraded twins or big single. (hint, im considering rear mounted if I cant fit it in stock location- I looked tons of room in the back.) So I don't really think that is a restriction anymore.
Manual swap is going to happen no matter what. And unless im mistaken theres a complete kit for 5k.(which works out great because I prefer manual vs auto)
and turbo cost is a fraction of that.
$678 for a par of t3 55mm
$718 for a pair of t3 61mm
$319 for a single t4 76mm or 70mm :lovl:

Yea I'm going to assign labor cost as 1 cent. or 100k. (meaning its irrelevant to me). I think I said this before but building is a hobby of mine, I enjoy the challenge and learning experience of building.
Or another way to put it, do you watch sports/tv shows? or play sports? or play an instrument? or any sort of hobby? etc? do you convert those hours into $$$?

Ive got some tubular manifolds with a t3 flange for sale if you want them. Could be a t4 flange really cant remember gotta find the pics.

RS6Goals
April 9th, 2018, 18:10
Ive got some tubular manifolds with a t3 flange for sale if you want them. Could be a t4 flange really cant remember gotta find the pics.
I saw your f/s add. It way more than I want to spend.

Im thinking of either modified stock or maybe extending an A6 manifold(still need to confirm it bolts up first though lol).

Thanks

ttboost
April 10th, 2018, 01:04
People drop ridiculous amounts of money in to 50 year old cars too. Its all about what car you like and what you want to spend.

Yeah...I get it...50-60 year old classic...not a 2003 high maintenance, super rare, over-engineered, one off European sedan. 20yrs ago I paid $11k for a 69 Camaro, as I always wanted to TT an old muscle car. I did it.. I fabricated a pair of T4 turbo's, an intercooler, fuel injection, fuel system, etc...everything...killer package...did everything myself, just like the OP wants to, had $21k in the car, guy gave me $25k. Worth it for a 69 Camaro. RS6? There are exceptions, but MOST people here just do a manual swap and lose THAT money PLUS the depreciation...THAT is my point. I get that the OP doesn't care, it's a "hobby...I get it...It's my hobby too...been doing this crap over 30 years now...I just happen to draw the line at something that, $/fun, just isn't there...not enough results for the time and money. I (and everyone else here) is trying to tell him to keep his expectations low...he might hit his target, but he will spend a boat load money and spend a metric sh*t ton of time.

Bigglezworth
April 10th, 2018, 01:27
....will spend a boat load money and spend a metric sh*t ton of time. That's Tonne to all you folk in the US 48. lol :)

ttboost
April 10th, 2018, 01:35
That's Tonne to all you folk in the US 48. lol :)

Thanks for the clarification Tim...

RS6Goals
April 10th, 2018, 02:05
That's Tonne to all you folk in the US 48. lol :)

Bigglezworth can you address if you were saying 600hp at crank or at the wheels?

Bigglezworth
April 10th, 2018, 02:45
Bigglezworth can you address if you were saying 600hp at crank or at the wheels?I can't no. The reason I can't is because I have never had an actual dyno test on my car. My statement is based upon mathematical calculation for covering a certian distance with a set mass (car plus driver). You would need to be pushing 550-600 crank horsepower to push 4400+- down the quarter mile in mid to high 11s. Trap speed a nominal 116-118mph. If I recall correctly, the Sportec car was trapping 120-122 or something like that with similar tims because it couldn`t hook up. With the recent mods that will be tougher to get traction.

DHall1
April 10th, 2018, 03:31
Ha

A tune and I'm low 11s on my CL600. Good enough

never going to happen on my RS6s. I accept that fact

i have chump change in the CL600 and it's just got a full PPI with flying colors at Benz. Let the mods begin

ZCD2.7T
April 10th, 2018, 03:38
Where did all of "Black SVT's" threads go? They'd certainly come in handy for "RS6Goals"....

Sorry, my bad: "Laser SVT", not "Black SVT".

To the OP, read this:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32363-My-brand-new-second-hand-RS6?highlight=laser+svt

...and then this:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32432-Official-Horsepower-Thread!?highlight=laser+svt

...and then tell us if any of that sounds familiar.... (I know it does to many of us...)

ZCD2.7T
April 10th, 2018, 03:42
And don't forget that a C7 S6 + $8K in mods = mid/high 10s at ~130 mph.

Bigglezworth
April 10th, 2018, 03:54
Ha

A tune and I'm low 11s on my CL600. Good enough

never going to happen on my RS6s. I accept that fact

i have chump change in the CL600 and it's just got a full PPI with flying colors at Benz. Let the mods begin
That was kinda the point I made earlier today. The Benz should pull numbers like that. It has 50% more cylinders and 50% more displacement. It should be pushing 800-900hp based upon that fact - but it's not. Doesn't matter though. Still goes like mad - when the roads are dry - which in PHX is often I'm sure. Not here. My friend had an E63 which he gave up driving due to problems with traction and driveability. I image the Bi12 is even worse.

Bigglezworth
April 10th, 2018, 03:54
And don't forget that a C7 S6 + $8K in mods = mid/high 10s at ~130 mph.Exactly. Just like Mike is experiencing personally.

Bigglezworth
April 10th, 2018, 03:55
Thanks for the clarification Tim...hahaha Both the same thing - a shitload!

Corbett
April 10th, 2018, 05:28
Yeah...I get it...50-60 year old classic...not a 2003 high maintenance, super rare, over-engineered, one off European sedan. 20yrs ago I paid $11k for a 69 Camaro, as I always wanted to TT an old muscle car. I did it.. I fabricated a pair of T4 turbo's, an intercooler, fuel injection, fuel system, etc...everything...killer package...did everything myself, just like the OP wants to, had $21k in the car, guy gave me $25k. Worth it for a 69 Camaro. RS6? There are exceptions, but MOST people here just do a manual swap and lose THAT money PLUS the depreciation...THAT is my point. I get that the OP doesn't care, it's a "hobby...I get it...It's my hobby too...been doing this crap over 30 years now...I just happen to draw the line at something that, $/fun, just isn't there...not enough results for the time and money. I (and everyone else here) is trying to tell him to keep his expectations low...he might hit his target, but he will spend a boat load money and spend a metric sh*t ton of time.

I always find this reasoning puzzling. You can drop $5k into a notchback mustang and run 9s. That isn’t the point. Investing money in depreciating assets is never a good idea. Especially cars if you are trying to get your money back.

RS6Goals
April 10th, 2018, 06:59
Sorry, my bad: "Laser SVT", not "Black SVT".

To the OP, read this:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32363-My-brand-new-second-hand-RS6?highlight=laser+svt

...and then this:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32432-Official-Horsepower-Thread!?highlight=laser+svt

...and then tell us if any of that sounds familiar.... (I know it does to many of us...)

Skimmed it, didnt find anything of interest. Same information I found and what was posted here. Looks like by the same people too.

I can't no. The reason I can't is because I have never had an actual dyno test on my car. My statement is based upon mathematical calculation for covering a certian distance with a set mass (car plus driver). You would need to be pushing 550-600 crank horsepower to push 4400+- down the quarter mile in mid to high 11s. Trap speed a nominal 116-118mph. If I recall correctly, the Sportec car was trapping 120-122 or something like that with similar tims because it couldn`t hook up. With the recent mods that will be tougher to get traction.

You kinda answered it there. Your talking crank hp. Im after awhp. thats easily 100awhp+ difference.

Im sorry did you say sportec car couldnt hook? how is that possible with less than 600awhp? what was that car on? skinny old tires?

RS6Goals
April 10th, 2018, 07:09
And don't forget that a C7 S6 + $8K in mods = mid/high 10s at ~130 mph.

Lets do a price check on that C7 S6? what is it? 25-30k? if all you care is 1/4 then id go with American muscle and be done with it.

I always find this reasoning puzzling. You can drop $5k into a notchback mustang and run 9s. That isn’t the point. Investing money in depreciating assets is never a good idea. Especially cars if you are trying to get your money back.

I agree with this. I just dont understand why people spend x amount of money on a car and they expect to get that money back when they sell it.
They call it a money pit for a reason lol

DHall1
April 10th, 2018, 07:10
Wet roads? What's that?

I think it rained once about 6 months ago. Literally

Benz kept the ol 5speed in the V12s forever. Why? Because it could hold 1000ft/lbs

That was kinda the point I made earlier today. The Benz should pull numbers like that. It has 50% more cylinders and 50% more displacement. It should be pushing 800-900hp based upon that fact - but it's not. Doesn't matter though. Still goes like mad - when the roads are dry - which in PHX is often I'm sure. Not here. My friend had an E63 which he gave up driving due to problems with traction and driveability. I image the Bi12 is even worse.

DHall1
April 10th, 2018, 07:12
I spend x amt of money on my cars and expect a return. I must be doing something right

Lets do a price check on that C7 S6? what is it? 25-30k? if all you care is 1/4 then id go with American muscle and be done with it.

I agree with this. I just dont understand why people spend x amount of money on a car and they expect to get that money back when they sell it.
They call it a money pit for a reason lol

RS6Goals
April 10th, 2018, 07:29
I spend x amt of money on my cars and expect a return. I must be doing something right

You expect a return yes. Do you get that exact x amount back?

ZCD2.7T
April 10th, 2018, 12:38
Skimmed it, didnt find anything of interest. Same information I found and what was posted here. Looks like by the same people too....

And here I thought that the experiences of another actual owner of one of these cars, who also did or planned to do much of the work himself (like you), who also had the EXACT SAME GOALS in mind as you, and who protested when this group informed him of the difficulties he'd likely encounter, who then encountered EXACTLY THE SAME difficulties that had been predicted and then finally gave up on the project might prove informative to you...

My bad.

:doh:

Aronis
April 10th, 2018, 14:09
This thread just keeps getting deeper...
and entertaining.

I'd settle for keeping my car stock and getting the friggen electronic issue fixed for little or no money LOL. I am just ignoring it and enjoying the measly 450 hp....

Mike

RS6Goals
April 10th, 2018, 15:15
And here I thought that the experiences of another actual owner of one of these cars, who also did or planned to do much of the work himself (like you), who also had the EXACT SAME GOALS in mind as you, and who protested when this group informed him of the difficulties he'd likely encounter, who then encountered EXACTLY THE SAME difficulties that had been predicted and then finally gave up on the project might prove informative to you...

My bad.

Informative sure. But i didn't see him build close to what i was looking for. Unless he actually started building a turbo swap and all and i missed it. Then in that case i will go back and check it.

You guys have said it yourself this forums gets enough of these type of thread so why spend the time rereading the same comment about how it can't be done unless you have 20k+ and at that point your better off with a different car.

If your trying to build something new time should be spent on figuring out how to do that now how another person got discurrage and gave up.

Corbett
April 10th, 2018, 15:20
Informative sure. But i didn't see him build close to what i was looking for. Unless he actually started building a turbo swap and all and i missed it. Then in that case i will go back and check it.

You guys have said it yourself this forums gets enough of these type of thread so why spend the time rereading the same comment about how it can't be done unless you have 20k+ and at that point your better off with a different car.

If your trying to build something new time should be spent on figuring out how to do that now how another person got discurrage and gave up.

To be honest You should do intercoolers, downpipes and an e85 tune. You will love it. Dont know why nobody has gone e85 on the rs6. Especially the 6 speed guys.

RS6Goals
April 10th, 2018, 15:28
To be honest You should do intercoolers, downpipes and an e85 tune. You will love it. Dont know why nobody has gone e85 on the rs6. Especially the 6 speed guys.

Because of the inconvenience of going to same gas station . if its not a DD I'm all for it. I daily my old talon on e85 and it got old quick having to plan gas fill up lol

Corbett
April 10th, 2018, 15:29
Because of the inconvenience of going to same gas station . if its not a DD I'm all for it. I daily my old talon on e85 and it got old quick having to plan gas fill up lol

I hear ya. e85 stations are everywhere in my area.

DHall1
April 10th, 2018, 15:36
Yep, sometimes even more.

You expect a return yes. Do you get that exact x amount back?

ttboost
April 10th, 2018, 17:47

My bad.

Thank you...apparently my point is lost on everyone else here...

To the OP...
Through ALL of my posts, the ONLY point I was trying to make, is that you are NOT the first one to try to build a street monster out of a RS6. The rest of "us" decided, after seeing this engine out a few times, that it isn't, and won't be worth the effort. That's it. MY opinion...and that's all I was sharing, because I've been there...

AGAIN, good luck on your project...you sound like you really want to move forward...

GreggPDX
April 10th, 2018, 18:21
RS6Goals, you are dealing with skepticism driven by experience. Like others have mentioned, a lot of people have tried to go down the path of building a big horsepower RS6 and ultimately quit at around 500whp. There is a cost and time barrier around there that most people don't get past. It's not just one thing either, you start to hit the limits of multiple pieces - turbos, intake, intercoolers, transmission, exhaust, fuel system, etc... All these limits can be overcome, but again, cost and time barriers are high.

This is also why you won't find a lot of experienced help beyond this level. There are just not enough people that have done it, and in several cases, the people that have built a big-HP RS6 are doing it as a business, and they don't make money by sharing all the details of their builds.

All this said, despite the skepticism you're getting, we all would love to see you succeed. The RS6 is getting to a price point where more "hobbyist" builders can take a chance on tearing into one. I fully expect to see more people trying different different things and hopefully building some amazing cars!

Ebtahi98
April 10th, 2018, 20:21
Electronic gremlins, I can refer you to my good friend Mike who has his entire Dash taken apart because something in his heater or heating switch or God only knows what it is started smoking so if you want to talk gremlins I'll just forward you to him and you guys can talk about gizmo ! Lol 😂

bethridg
April 10th, 2018, 21:38
I spent some time digging up old threads that have some actual useful information for you. Sadly, most of them were dead ends. Hopefully helpful nonetheless.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22061-The-Fluid-MotorUnion-Audi-RS6-Build-Thread-(pic-heavy-thread)

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32550-1000hp-engine-build-on-which-parts

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31761-1000hp-c5-rs6?p=269590&viewfull=1#post269590

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31405-what-mods-are-needed-to-go-beyond-600Hp

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/33505-is-there-an-actual-turbo-upgrade-that-will-bolt-to-RS6-manifolds

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25110-RS6-motor-limits?p=242134&viewfull=1#post242134

DHall1
April 10th, 2018, 22:26
Dirt cheap v12tt in a CL600 + 1200 Eurocharge tune = 11sec 120+mph

that will cover about 99.3% of the cars on the road.

Im good with that

RS6Goals
April 11th, 2018, 02:01
Yep, sometimes even more.

Care to elaborate how or give example? I dont see anyone paying 10k on this RS6, 10k in mods, 5k for labor. Then resell for 25k or more a few years from now.

Could you do this with specific car? sure if its a classic/rare. or you got a really good deal on the purchase. Shoot you loose money as soon as you take the dam car off the lot.

Thank you...apparently my point is lost on everyone else here...

To the OP...
Through ALL of my posts, the ONLY point I was trying to make, is that you are NOT the first one to try to build a street monster out of a RS6. The rest of "us" decided, after seeing this engine out a few times, that it isn't, and won't be worth the effort. That's it. MY opinion...and that's all I was sharing, because I've been there...

AGAIN, good luck on your project...you sound like you really want to move forward...

I think you definitely got that point across. In this thread and other thread that ive seen you post in and I do get what your saying. I'm just not one to get convinced by groupthink. Just because you guys have decided its not worth it doesn't mean its not worth it to me or someone else.
Besides if I dont try ill just keep wondering so I rather try it and if I fail oh well I guess ill do what the rest of you guys are doing. better to try than not all.

Corbett
April 11th, 2018, 02:24
Care to elaborate how or give example? I dont see anyone paying 10k on this RS6, 10k in mods, 5k for labor. Then resell for 25k or more a few years from now.

Could you do this with specific car? sure if its a classic/rare. or you got a really good deal on the purchase. Shoot you loose money as soon as you take the dam car off the lot.

I think you definitely got that point across. In this thread and other thread that ive seen you post in and I do get what your saying. I'm just not one to get convinced by groupthink. Just because you guys have decided its not worth it doesn't mean its not worth it to me or someone else.
Besides if I dont try ill just keep wondering so I rather try it and if I fail oh well I guess ill do what the rest of you guys are doing. better to try than not all.

Well stay tuned. Some of us have completely given up on the platform. I think I’ll be around 850whp on e85 using stock manifolds. We will see.

DHall1
April 11th, 2018, 03:06
What ever you. Please don't buy an RV from me.

On second thought. Yeah, if you need a RV then call me.

You see every vehicle purchase has a clear budget and purpose. Even my daily driver....do I have fun with them? Sure! Do I go race them and drag em a couple times? Sure. Do I dump crazy money in them? Nope

RS6Goals
April 11th, 2018, 05:01
I spent some time digging up old threads that have some actual useful information for you. Sadly, most of them were dead ends. Hopefully helpful nonetheless.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22061-The-Fluid-MotorUnion-Audi-RS6-Build-Thread-(pic-heavy-thread)

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32550-1000hp-engine-build-on-which-parts

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31761-1000hp-c5-rs6?p=269590&viewfull=1#post269590

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31405-what-mods-are-needed-to-go-beyond-600Hp

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/33505-is-there-an-actual-turbo-upgrade-that-will-bolt-to-RS6-manifolds

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25110-RS6-motor-limits?p=242134&viewfull=1#post242134

Awesome, Thanks for the list

Corbett
April 11th, 2018, 13:28
https://instagram.com/p/BhahSvcniSx/

ttboost
April 11th, 2018, 13:42
Dirt cheap v12tt in a CL600 + 1200 Eurocharge tune = 11sec 120+mph

that will cover about 99.3% of the cars on the road.

Im good with that

SL65 with EC tune and DR's...scaled 4770 with me in it... 18501

ttboost
April 11th, 2018, 13:45

It's all good. Have fun...enjoy your project...

Corbett
April 11th, 2018, 13:52
SL65 with EC tune and DR's...scaled 4770 with me in it... 18501

2 door sports car. Could go faster in a corvette for less money. Isn’t that your logic?

ZCD2.7T
April 11th, 2018, 14:19
Lets do a price check on that C7 S6? what is it? 25-30k? if all you care is 1/4 then id go with American muscle and be done with it...l

A few comments:

1: Yes, about right I'd guess for a high-mileage 2013.
2: You'll likely spend that much or more in your attempt to get your RS6 to that level of performance
3: Straw man argument. You already did American muscle, so clearly the RS6 had/has something you liked. My guess is that you thought it would be cool to have a relative "sleeper" of a not-too-pricey AWD German sedan that would kick butt and take names. My point is that a C7 S6 is a much better starting point for such a project.
4: All of that said, I understand the attraction of the RS6's low price of entry, flares and stance, and I wish you nothing but the best. I'll be watching this space for your progress.

ZCD2.7T
April 11th, 2018, 14:21
https://instagram.com/p/BhahSvcniSx/

LOVE the sound and the flames. What did it put down?

More importantly for this thread, how much $$$ have you spent above and beyond the price of the car to get it to this level?

ttboost
April 11th, 2018, 14:38
2 door sports car. Could go faster in a corvette for less money. Isn’t that your logic?

Yes and No. I didn't buy it as a drag car...but I take everything I own to the strip at least once. I've owned 6 corvettes in my life...I'm good. I've been a Chevy guy since I was a kid. As soon as I bought my first European car, I was hooked. I made the mistake a few years ago and bought a CTS-V, thinking, hey Cadillac, quality, right? Nope. Same crap. Finally caved and bought the car I really wanted...couldn't be happier...

Corbett
April 11th, 2018, 14:46
Finally caved and bought the car I really wanted...couldn't be happier...
Exactly!

Corbett
April 11th, 2018, 14:48
LOVE the sound and the flames. What did it put down?

More importantly for this thread, how much $$$ have you spent above and beyond the price of the car to get it to this level?

I was forced to go built motor due to my last tuner being a complete retard. (JHM). Don’t let him tune your car for e85 he doesn’t understand AFRs on e85.

that being said it would be a lot cheaper and still probably pretty safe on a stock motor. Numbers coming soon.

DHall1
April 11th, 2018, 17:02
I think we are long long lost twins. Lol

im never looking back to Detroit iron

now, let me see if I can get this S65 for a steal

Yes and No. I didn't buy it as a drag car...but I take everything I own to the strip at least once. I've owned 6 corvettes in my life...I'm good. I've been a Chevy guy since I was a kid. As soon as I bought my first European car, I was hooked. I made the mistake a few years ago and bought a CTS-V, thinking, hey Cadillac, quality, right? Nope. Same crap. Finally caved and bought the car I really wanted...couldn't be happier...

DHall1
April 11th, 2018, 17:07
Good luck with it. It's nice to see the car get back on the road. Clearly, it's in the right hands for tuning

I was forced to go built motor due to my last tuner being a complete retard. (JHM). Don’t let him tune your car for e85 he doesn’t understand AFRs on e85.

that being said it would be a lot cheaper and still probably pretty safe on a stock motor. Numbers coming soon.

Corbett
April 11th, 2018, 18:46
Final numbers. E85. Stock manifolds. 770s. AMD tune.

890whp
825 wtq

Mustang dyno

GreggPDX
April 11th, 2018, 20:48

890whp
825 wtq

Mustang dyno

Holy Mary-Mother-of-Jesus...

RS6Goals
April 11th, 2018, 21:04

890whp
825 wtq

Mustang dyno

Sweet. Can you post the dyno sheet? Id be interested in how the hp an tq curve look.

ttboost
April 11th, 2018, 21:05
I bet I know what it looks like...

RS6Goals
April 11th, 2018, 21:21

are you making a claim that stock engine can handle 890awhp?

Thats a lot for being stock.

A few comments:

1: Yes, about right I'd guess for a high-mileage 2013.
2: You'll likely spend that much or more in your attempt to get your RS6 to that level of performance
3: Straw man argument. You already did American muscle, so clearly the RS6 had/has something you liked. My guess is that you thought it would be cool to have a relative "sleeper" of a not-too-pricey AWD German sedan that would kick butt and take names. My point is that a C7 S6 is a much better starting point for such a project.
4: All of that said, I understand the attraction of the RS6's low price of entry, flares and stance, and I wish you nothing but the best. I'll be watching this space for your progress.

I did the import thing, American muscle thing, old school swap thing.
I dont really care for "sleeper" thing, I just want AWD turbo V8 in a car.
I realized that AWD is what I want since all I do is DD and I got annoyed with traction issues and running DR in the rain.(not to mention handling sucks on a DR)

I really think this base is really good. I mean 4k for rs6(with broken trans) how much cheaper do you guys want for a base?

Corbett
April 11th, 2018, 22:20
I bet I know what it looks like...

Go on......

ttboost
April 11th, 2018, 22:46
LOL...quit moving the bees nest I'm wacking...!!! All in good fun...I've never seen a dyno chart of a turbo vehicle that (based on turbo size, of course) didn't spike at 4000-4500, and then drop off like a stone to redline...Am I close...

Corbett
April 11th, 2018, 23:00
LOL...quit moving the bees nest I'm wacking...!!! All in good fun...I've never seen a dyno chart of a turbo vehicle that (based on turbo size, of course) didn't spike at 4000-4500 (tel:4000-4500), and then drop off like a stone to redline...Am I close...

https://imgur.com/gallery/HTKn6

Corbett
April 11th, 2018, 23:10
Sorry heres more.

https://imgur.com/gallery/zphVO

ttboost
April 11th, 2018, 23:16
Very nice...did you stick with stock compression when you built the engine...or bump it up a little? I think 10 - 10.2 is perfect street car turbo compression, especially with corn.

Corbett
April 11th, 2018, 23:22
Very nice...did you stick with stock compression when you built the engine...or bump it up a little? I think 10 - 10.2 is perfect street car turbo compression, especially with corn.

Everything was decked but it’s on coated stock pistson so comp is a little higher it’s probably is just above 10:1 comp

RS6Goals
April 11th, 2018, 23:34
Everything was decked but it’s on coated stock pistson so comp is a little higher it’s probably is just above 10:1 comp

That curve looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Now the real question. Since you've provably spent a good chunk of cash. Would you have preferred to start off from a c7 s6?

ttboost
April 11th, 2018, 23:36
Nice...gotta have some off-boost power too...When I built my TT 69 Camaro, years ago, I built a 10.3:1 383 iron block stroker...with an older F.A.S.T it still ran 15-20psi on pump...

Corbett
April 11th, 2018, 23:38
That curve looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Now the real question. Since you've provably spent a good chunk of cash. Would you have preferred to start off from a c7 s6?

probably not. I love the manual trans. But I don’t blame people for wanting them. If I had to start over this project started 4 years ago and s6s went for hella money back then. I’d love a used s8 though the prices are in 35s now which is way more my territory.

Corbett
April 12th, 2018, 00:33
Nice...gotta have some off-boost power too...When I built my TT 69 Camaro, years ago, I built a 10.3:1 383 iron block stroker...with an older F.A.S.T it still ran 15-20psi on pump...

Awesome! And thanks

mrdave
April 12th, 2018, 03:53

890whp
825 wtq

Mustang dyno

WOW. I'd love to see/hear some videos of that thing in action.

ZCD2.7T
April 12th, 2018, 04:02

890whp
825 wtq

Mustang dyno
Very nice.

Now please take it to a track to see what she'll actually run.

Dyno numbers are great and all, but the proof will actually show in the time slip... If the car is truly producing those figures, then 135-140 mph trap speeds should be possible...

ZCD2.7T
April 12th, 2018, 04:04
WOW. I'd love to see/hear some videos of that thing in action.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/33554-Where-are-all-the-modded-C5-RS6-at-500awhp-to-800awhp?p=289968&viewfull=1#post289968

Corbett
April 12th, 2018, 12:37
Very nice.

Now please take it to a track to see what she'll actually run.

Dyno numbers are great and all, but the proof will actually show in the time slip... If the car is truly producing those figures, then 135-140 mph trap speeds should be possible...

I completely agree that trap numbers don’t lie. I will go back to the s1/4 mike one day but I’m in no hurry at this point since I haven’t had the car for 4 years lol. Want to enjoy it for a while once it’s back.

GreggPDX
April 12th, 2018, 17:16
https://imgur.com/gallery/HTKn6

Those are really nice curves! Those turbos are holding boost to redline really well, and the torque curve looks great! I think this helps settle one of the main questions about the stock manifolds. They are clearly not a hard limit to making power.

Did AMD do any pulls on straight 92 gas? I'm curious how your setup would do on that. E85 is not that plentiful in my neck of the woods.

Also, do you know if AMD is planning to sell a 770 kit for the RS6? If they put together a kit with their inlets and downpipes, I bet they could sell quite a few.

Corbett
April 12th, 2018, 18:02
Those are really nice curves! Those turbos are holding boost to redline really well, and the torque curve looks great! I think this helps settle one of the main questions about the stock manifolds. They are clearly not a hard limit to making power.

Did AMD do any pulls on straight 92 gas? I'm curious how your setup would do on that. E85 is not that plentiful in my neck of the woods.

Also, do you know if AMD is planning to sell a 770 kit for the RS6? If they put together a kit with their inlets and downpipes, I bet they could sell quite a few.

655/577 on straight 91. I believe we were around 700 with 92 +meth. I’ll ask jason about making kits.

Bigglezworth
April 12th, 2018, 18:07
I think this helps settle one of the main questions about the stock manifolds. They are clearly not a hard limit to making power.I don't recall anyone saying the manifolds were a problem. The discussion has always been the OEM compressors are the hard limit along with space. You gain space with the 6MT, to which you can then change turbo compressor, which then leads to changing the outlet mount from the manifold. Manifold remains.

Bigglezworth
April 12th, 2018, 18:08
I haven’t had the car for 4 years lol. Want to enjoy it for a while once it’s back.Has it really been that long?? Holy hell. I guess that's why I feel fortunate to simply flip flop cars so that I always have one to drive while I 'renovate' the other.

GreggPDX
April 12th, 2018, 19:32
I don't recall anyone saying the manifolds were a problem. The discussion has always been the OEM compressors are the hard limit along with space. You gain space with the 6MT, to which you can then change turbo compressor, which then leads to changing the outlet mount from the manifold. Manifold remains.

Agreed, turbine housing has definitely been proven to be a hard limit. I think it's at least been an open question about how limiting the manifold would be, so it's nice to see someone actually pushing the limits.

RS6Goals
April 13th, 2018, 06:54
I don't recall anyone saying the manifolds were a problem. The discussion has always been the OEM compressors are the hard limit along with space. You gain space with the 6MT, to which you can then change turbo compressor, which then leads to changing the outlet mount from the manifold. Manifold remains.

uh... that's not true.

heres a reminder.
This one is more of a recommendation. but still kinda implied.

Stage 3: Bigger turbos (Tial 605/770/880), Garret GT Eliminator, etc... You'll need at least custom piping for the turbo inlet, and probably custom downpipes. If you really want to get the most out of the turbos, get customtubular manifolds as well.

these not so much. I didn't bother to check past 1st page

You basically need to upgrade the headers, turbos, injectors, pump, cooling, tune for $15k, then you will blow the auto trans, then you can do the 6-speed swap, then you sell the car...this is typical pattern

you need custom exhaust manifolds, turbos, fuel

I remembered these since I researched possible options outside of buying an expensive tub. manifold.

You may not have said it but clearly, you and others did not correct or disagree with those statement.

Corbett
April 13th, 2018, 15:07
Posts about the limit of stock manifolds are everywhere. And they are all wrong.

Bigglezworth
April 13th, 2018, 16:02
You may not have said it but clearly, you and others did not correct or disagree with those statement.I guess I didn't feel it was my place to correct everyone. I have been very clear about what you're up against. I've provided ample opinion based upon extensive knowledge about this platform (engine out on three different cars a total of 8 times over a span of a decade plus) and you can decide whether that has any merit as you blow thousands upon thousands on your project.

I think it's time for everyone on this forum to quit giving you any feedback at all and let you go through the throes of things yourself. Judging from what Tim has said with his project, it could take you 4 years.... I well know it will take you the price of another car (or more) to execute - if you in fact successfully do such.

DHall1
April 13th, 2018, 16:41
I put a tune on my little low budget project CL600. Should be easy 11sec 1/4

see ya in 4yrs with your RS6

Corbett
April 13th, 2018, 16:46
Talk about a bunch of Debbie downers lol. God this place is depressing.

DHall1
April 13th, 2018, 16:52
It's the track record. Many have come and all have failed.

Your car is different. You started with a much developed platform and stuck with it. For that you get all the credit.

Everybody else that picks up a 8000 dollar beater and expects to create a 500whp beast with 1000 bucks. Not going to happen.

GreggPDX
April 13th, 2018, 22:00

Not me! I'm really excited about what you've done with your car. I was trying to explain to my wife today about how cool it was that you had built a car like mine, but with so much power! I even talked about how you did it without doing anything too crazy to the car, just big turbos and the right set of supporting mods.

She asked what other cars had that kind of power, and I basically explained that there are no Ferrari, Lambo's, Porsches, etc... that make that kind of power. The only (commonly known) car with more power is the Bugatti Veyron/Chiron.

I've been trying to decide what path to go on my build, and you are inspiring me to do something similar. I'd be really happy to get 600+whp on pump gas, and you've provided a template for doing it. Thank you!

Corbett
April 13th, 2018, 23:13
Not me! I'm really excited about what you've done with your car. I was trying to explain to my wife today about how cool it was that you had built a car like mine, but with so much power! I even talked about how you did it without doing anything too crazy to the car, just big turbos and the right set of supporting mods.

She asked what other cars had that kind of power, and I basically explained that there are no Ferrari, Lambo's, Porsches, etc... that make that kind of power. The only (commonly known) car with more power is the Bugatti Veyron/Chiron.

I've been trying to decide what path to go on my build, and you are inspiring me to do something similar. I'd be really happy to get 600+whp on pump gas, and you've provided a template for doing it. Thank you!

haha that’s awesome and thanks for the kind words. I wasn’t referring to you in my comments I’m just sick of all the negativity regarding our platform. We should be encouraging people to improve he platform and push it forward. This isn’t a financial advice forum. We all know throwing money at cars is not a wise financial decision. I hope we see more people nodding their rs6s. Sam in Ohio has some upgraded turbos on his car and should be dyno tunes any day now. He also has a pretty mega built auto trans on it with some new excess clutches and some wicked torque converter. We need more of this

RS2racer
April 14th, 2018, 00:25

Dude you said it ! sounds like a geriatric ward of old men trying to get some Nurse tail but only in their sleep .

To the OP, all it takes is money and the drive. All the resources are out there, but if I may suggest something. Get in touch with an owner that has a 6spd swapped RS6 with some mods or perhaps better yet, once Corbett finishes his up, ask for a ride in it and make sure that the car is all that and a bag of chips as far as your satisfaction quotient.

Nothing less futile than re-inventing the wheel so to speak, but I truly hope you get it done man. This place can use a good build thread instead of the usual:
"I think my tranny is Toast "
" Is my DRC shot "
" slight whine"
" which chip-which salsa "
" does my RS6 make my thighs look fat " :race:

RS6Goals
April 14th, 2018, 06:22

What brand and size injectors are you running? Stock fuel rails? And what size pump are you running? aftermarket fuel regulators?

I'm starting to plan a bit more detailed and my turbo should get here in a week or so for initial fitment.

ttboost
April 14th, 2018, 14:13
haha that’s awesome and thanks for the kind words. I wasn’t referring to you in my comments I’m just sick of all the negativity regarding our platform. We should be encouraging people to improve he platform and push it forward. This isn’t a financial advice forum. We all know throwing money at cars is not a wise financial decision. I hope we see more people nodding their rs6s. Sam in Ohio has some upgraded turbos on his car and should be dyno tunes any day now. He also has a pretty mega built auto trans on it with some new excess clutches and some wicked torque converter. We need more of this

While it may SOUND like I'm (we're) all being negative, you can't deny how many threads, attempting to make "big power mods" there have been. This is the internet, we don't know anybody. When I see a thread like this, my first thought is "Uh oh, we need to save someone...another someone , like me, that saw a TTV8 car and thought, hey big easy power". For all I know, this guy is a 18-20 year old, who can finally afford his own $10-$15k car, and thinks it is a sure shot 1000hp project. My intent is just to let everyone know, that posts these threads, that it's not that easy and keep your expectations low, be prepared to spend a lot of time and money.
And again, to be fair, your car started at a point where most people are striving to get to. You've never stated how much money you have in your car, and it's none of our business, but I'm very sure it's more than I would ever spend, and ultimately, that was my point, and I consider myself in the majority. Absolutely nothing against you, as we've all said, we like what we like. I am totally impressed with your car. Do I still love the RS6? Yup. Would I trade you for my car? Nope.

AND, I'm pretty sure in most of my posts, I DID wish the OP good luck, as CLEARLY he has an understanding now of what's ahead for him. And I truly mean it. I would LOVE to see someone take an average $10k RS6 and make it a true 600+awhp daily driver. There's a few out there, but my GUESS is they are $35k-$45k projects...something I wasn't willing to do with THIS platform. So I'll own up to a little negativity, but only because I was there...and it wasn't MEANT to be negative, only informative.

Aronis
April 14th, 2018, 15:53
This thread is AWSOME!!!!!!!!

Mike

RS6Goals
April 14th, 2018, 17:56
There's a few out there, but my GUESS is they are $35k-$45k projects...something I wasn't willing to do with THIS platform. So I'll own up to a little negativity, but only because I was there...and it wasn't MEANT to be negative, only informative.

Im not going to address the rest of your post since i think it was the same conversation as what was covered.

I do think your price is off on the car. At this point, I would price this is the 4k-10k car. So average 7k car. (in fact there was one that sold for 7 before I bought mine.)
Ive literally seen 3 different conditions sell within 1-hour radius from me. 1 with broken trans(I picked up for 4k), 1 average(with a chip) sold for 7k(I test drove), and 1 in great condition(I picked up for 10k)

I will ask about the money estimation. SINCE majority thinks that there are no options but to OVERPAY for parts.
So ill ask please list out your parts list with $$(and be as detailed as your can-with however much time you want to spend compiling it)

I have a gut feeling that you guys don't do any sort of value engineering.

RS6Goals
April 14th, 2018, 18:20
I guess I didn't feel it was my place to correct everyone. I have been very clear about what you're up against. I've provided ample opinion based upon extensive knowledge about this platform (engine out on three different cars a total of 8 times over a span of a decade plus) and you can decide whether that has any merit as you blow thousands upon thousands on your project.

I think it's time for everyone on this forum to quit giving you any feedback at all and let you go through the throes of things yourself. Judging from what Tim has said with his project, it could take you 4 years.... I well know it will take you the price of another car (or more) to execute - if you in fact successfully do such.

Dont know how I missed this but:
How can you "feel" like it was not your place to correct everyone when they are spreading MISINFORMATION? and talk about turning a blind eye because it favors your argument.

to be blunt. That has no merit. because did you actually attempt to make big power? or did you only go through planning and didnt even bother trying to build? <-- yea if you don't even try that don't count.

not to sure about time and money anymore considering corbett example.(thanks to him its verified that you can make the power with bolt-on parts. Bolt on parts like turbo and IC cuts down fab time tremendously)

If your willing to spend the money in one go yea it will be a big chunk but im sure it can be done in less than a year(heck even in less than a month) I think you are missing the point that project takes years because they are often put on hold, the TOTAL time you actually work on it is very small compare to how long it sits. The other is $$$ its alot easier on the pocketbook to spend 20k on a project over the span of 4 years. because let's get real if we don't care about the cost it wouldn't take very long.

one very good strategy for this is collecting all the parts that you THINK you need BEFORE starting the build. and once you have all the parts that you THINK you need have a few k just in case.
That 4 years will look like 3-3.5 years of collecting parts and 1 to 6 months of actual building(depending on how much time you have after your work and family responsibilities.)

So like all else im putting this in the offically same category as the rest.

either
$$$$$ and little time.

or

$$ and lots of time.

I did notice that theres no one here that actually does their own fabrication???(if you do and built something for the rs6 please let me know-always looking for ideas) we need more hot rodders here that build their own stuff.

Bigglezworth
April 14th, 2018, 20:42
(thanks to him its verified that you can make the power with bolt-on parts. Bolt on parts like turbo and IC cuts down fab time tremendously)Where exactly are the 'bolt on parts"? 4 year project, fabbed parts, redone internals. That may be bolt together, but certainly not bolt-on that the average owners with wrenches can swap out at will.

nubcake
April 14th, 2018, 21:39
to be blunt

Being aggressive towards people giving you genuine advice has no merit either.
Just something I wanted to point out.

RS6Goals
April 14th, 2018, 22:53
Where exactly are the 'bolt on parts"? 4 year project, fabbed parts, redone internals. That may be bolt together, but certainly not bolt-on that the average owners with wrenches can swap out at will.

The 4 years has nothing to do with it. How long has it been sitting idle for no apparent reason other than he was either to busy or not having enough funds to buy the parts? If you count just the hours actually working on the car is a very small % of that.
as I said before, collect parts before you build and your downtime will be reduced significantly.

You guys have said yourself 600whp is in the realm of the engine capability. He claim stock engine can handle his power level. So built engine is not needed but more of a nice to have, meaning it doesnt count if you can make the power without it.

Bolt on parts are the big time consuming items. IC/piping and turbo mounting/exhaust manifold.

only fab is the downpipe(maybe) and exhaust(maybe-but this you can buy also). Oh and probably the intake(which is also pretty easy)
Either way these two can be fab up pretty easily.

so what other would you say needed "fabing" in his project?(and when I say "need" I mean actually had to not because its nice to have)

average owner? hmm can an average owner not swap a turbo? if the answer is no then yea I guess not lol.

Is your average RS6 owner not as capable as other owner?

I was active in the supra forums, dsm forums, ls1tech and perform truck forums and average owner is swapping cams, intake manifold, exhaust, installing bolt on turbo kits, HG, control arms etc. Shoot you even have people teaching each other how to tune a turbo car because the average owner are now buying tuners and want to learn how to tune things themselves.

RS6Goals
April 14th, 2018, 23:24
Being aggressive towards people giving you genuine advice has no merit either.
Just something I wanted to point out.

I don't expect any, not my intention.

If you sit on the sideline while you let misinformation spread yes I will end up being "aggressive" towards you. Makes me wonder what else that person isn't speaking up about because it doesn't support their case.

Im sure he has tons of knowledge and help and what not. And im sure when the build starts he will offer those insight/input.

But I just cannot see past the fact that the arguments here are all opinionated. and the worse one.

I feel like im reading this all the time.

"You cant do it because so and so couldnt do it. Look at all those people that failed. or because ive tried and couldn't do it." like how do you respond to that? im sorry it didn't work out for you?

Look maybe it wasnt possible before but I mean we live in an age now that a $300 turbo will last as long as your namebrand 1500+ turbo, a $150 IC supporting 800+hp, resources are everywhere. Talk about budget builds.

ttboost
April 15th, 2018, 00:06
Have you had the engine out of your car yet?

RS6Goals
April 15th, 2018, 00:56
Have you had the engine out of your car yet?

No, I have no reason to drop it yet.

ttboost
April 15th, 2018, 00:57
Adding 250hp is a good reason to drop it...get to work...

ttboost
April 15th, 2018, 01:04
Fun starts here...

DHall1
April 15th, 2018, 02:23
There ya go. Just bolt on some 300 dollar Chinese turbos and we're good.

Im busy calling Eurocharge to get my CL flashed. Lmk when you crack 10s and we can run

RS6Goals
April 15th, 2018, 05:11
Fun starts here...

:lovl::lovl::lovl: if you think that's fun, try doing that without a lift. :hey:

Not the same car but my old WS6 also drops the engine under the car. I think I will be fine/I can figure it out.

RS6Goals
April 15th, 2018, 05:20
There ya go. Just bolt on some 300 dollar Chinese turbos and we're good.

Im busy calling Eurocharge to get my CL flashed. Lmk when you crack 10s and we can run

Since when does a flashed CL600 runs 10? last I check that car is in the 4400lbs and 500hp. Just a guess but you'll probably need 700-800whp+ to run 10's

lol you make it sound like its such a bad thing.
300 dollar "Chinese" turbo is now supporting 1000whp+ so I think I will be fine.
Pretty common now in the LS1tech, you might want to get out of that bubble.

:) Are you in California? because these "we can run" comments are so amusing. I mean sure ill run you after you come to Cali.

DHall1
April 15th, 2018, 08:49
All in good fun dude. I'm an old drag racer and don't knock you for any of your goals. More the power to you.

I was running low 11s on my street car 35 years ago. Long before stand alone tuning and fuel injection became the norm. All Motor for me without nos. so I have been there and done that. I don't really care to rip into my platforms just to cobble them up and proclaim this Dyno number or 1/4 mile time. Will I track my cars a couple times? Yep and they all run well without beating on them too hard.

One of my fixer upper RS6s ran 12.50s and I was happy with it. My daily E63 put down a 12 flat @ 120 on my first pass bone stock and I was happy with it. Let's see what I get from my CL.....I have a way of getting all I can get from a car.

As I have said my cars have a clear build plan and then done. If I like them then I keep them.

ttboost
April 15th, 2018, 18:31
:lovl::lovl::lovl: if you think that's fun, try doing that without a lift. :hey:

Not the same car but my old WS6 also drops the engine under the car. I think I will be fine/I can figure it out.

Like Dave...too old for that crap...would never even consider it...that would suck all the fun out of it for me...my "laying on concrete floor" days are over...

RS6Goals
April 15th, 2018, 18:55
Like Dave...too old for that crap...would never even consider it...that would suck all the fun out of it for me...my "laying on concrete floor" days are over...

To each their own, Ive never had a lift so I work with what I have. All I see is my end goal so I find ways to get it done.
This was actually not as hard as I thought it would be, took just as long as pulling an engine out the regular way(on my supra).

How old are you guys? You make it sound like you guys are so old.

RS6Goals
April 15th, 2018, 19:10
All in good fun dude. I'm an old drag racer and don't knock you for any of your goals. More the power to you.

I was running low 11s on my street car 35 years ago. Long before stand alone tuning and fuel injection became the norm. All Motor for me without nos. so I have been there and done that. I don't really care to rip into my platforms just to cobble them up and proclaim this Dyno number or 1/4 mile time. Will I take my cars a couple times? Yep and they all run well without beating on them too hard.

One of my fixer upper RS6s ran 12.50s and I was happy with it. My daily E63 put down a 12 flat @ 120 on my first pass bone stock and I was happy with it. Let's see what I get from my CL.....I have a way of getting all I can get from a car.

As I have said my cars have a clear build plan and then done. If I like them then I keep them.

I'm the complete opposite. I have ZERO issues consuming the platform and doing whatever I feel I want to do to it(I dont care for 1/4, but I do care for HP to a point that I'm satisfied when I drive it-and this just seems to keep climbing). If it doesn't perform to my expectation I just toss it up for an experience.
and at times I get too carried away (like my datsun swap :rotflmao:) but it was worth the "journey" :lovl:

Aronis
April 15th, 2018, 21:06
Come on, bring on the photos.....start already.....

:)

RS6Goals you can do it.....

Mike

RS6Goals
April 15th, 2018, 21:29
Come on, bring on the photos.....start already.....
:)
RS6Goals you can do it.....
Mike

Your too much, Didnt you read up there it will take me 4 years so whats the rush. Im only a month in.

I barely ordered the turbo a few days ago to see which route I will go.

DHall1
April 16th, 2018, 04:04
Fast home brew project cars. I have no problem with them. That was me 40yrs ago

I get far too busy making money in my old age to mess around with such projects. But good luck. My RS6s are done to my liking and all I do is enjoy them and maintain them at this point.

Working on importing a B5 RS4 and RS6 Avant right now. You see, things that actually make me money.

RS6Goals
April 16th, 2018, 05:04
Fast home brew project cars. I have no problem with them. That was me 40yrs ago

I get far too busy making money in my old age to mess around with such projects. But good luck. My RS6s are done to my liking and all I do is enjoy them and maintain them at this point.

Working on importing a B5 RS4 and RS6 Avant right now. You see, things that actually make me money.

Surprise that someone that's in their "old age" is still talking about money the way you do. You make it sound like you revolve everything you do on money. Like all the purchase you do has to make you profit, shoot even your hobby has to make you profit. Here I was thinking the older you get the less you care about that. But hey whatever floats your boat as long as your enjoying what your doing then good for you.

Ill stick to my career income and keep things separated.

ttboost
April 16th, 2018, 13:43
Surprise that someone that's in their "old age" is still talking about money the way you do. You make it sound like you revolve everything you do on money. Like all the purchase you do has to make you profit, shoot even your hobby has to make you profit. Here I was thinking the older you get the less you care about that. But hey whatever floats your boat as long as your enjoying what your doing then good for you.

Ill stick to my career income and keep things separated.

Yep, for some reason, my whole attitude changed when I hit 50...You suddenly have an epiphany, and sit down and see where you are financially...with "retirement" "right around the corner", you start spending less "foolishly" (for lack of a better term), and start thinking about how you can enjoy life and not spend all your money, because whatever you have, needs to last another 10, 15, 20 years? That is when you want your money to make you money...
So, projects like the RS6, despite how much we all love them,. and we do, we just want more bang for our buck, so to speak.

AND, being the internet, you don't know who is who, and you feel compelled to share your experiences, just in case that "someone" is just like you...AGAIN, I had the same vision as you, and when I moved forward with my manual swap, and had the engine out for the 3rd time or so, I started looking at what it would take to get to my goal (same as yours), I said screw it, I thought it would be too much work and time, and I found a different "project". I truly wish you good luck, as clearly it CAN be done. I don't have the patience anymore...

Aronis
April 16th, 2018, 18:15
Your too much, Didnt you read up there it will take me 4 years so whats the rush. Im only a month in.

4 years????????

Your Airbags will be expired by then and you'll never get it registered!

Start TODAY!!!!!

Mike

JK

RS6Goals
April 16th, 2018, 18:27
Yep, for some reason, my whole attitude changed when I hit 50...You suddenly have an epiphany, and sit down and see where you are financially...with "retirement" "right around the corner", you start spending less "foolishly" (for lack of a better term), and start thinking about how you can enjoy life and not spend all your money, because whatever you have, needs to last another 10, 15, 20 years? That is when you want your money to make you money...
So, projects like the RS6, despite how much we all love them,. and we do, we just want more bang for our buck, so to speak.

AND, being the internet, you don't know who is who, and you feel compelled to share your experiences, just in case that "someone" is just like you...AGAIN, I had the same vision as you, and when I moved forward with my manual swap, and had the engine out for the 3rd time or so, I started looking at what it would take to get to my goal (same as yours), I said screw it, I thought it would be too much work and time, and I found a different "project". I truly wish you good luck, as clearly it CAN be done. I don't have the patience anymore...

Interesting insight thanks for sharing. Ill be sure to keep that in mind.
And yea I actually 100% agree with it being "foolish spending." Its a hobby that I even stop for almost two years(just to see)... couldn't do it, I like diving in and messing with things.

Time and money seems to be the main issues for us all.For me as long as it doesn't constrict my life I'm ok with it. I mean it may seem like I spend a lot of money and time but last year we went 6+ trips, 1 of which is across the world(Norway), Pretty sure were in the 15+ trips in the past 3 years :jlol:.

ttboost
April 16th, 2018, 18:56
It's all good...just wanted to give you some insight into some of "our" opinions, and why they are what they are...we actually wish you well...we just didn't want you to make the same "err in judgement" some of us almost made, without the benefit of someone else's experience.

jibberjive
December 6th, 2018, 13:42
Wow, 90% of this thread is repeating the same thing, trying to dissuade someone who acknowledged all of the issues raised the first time that they were raised. This tone makes people less inclined to post on this forum outside of a tune/exhaust/IC's.

You say 'turbo' in singular. Are you going single turbo? Any updates?

DHall1
December 6th, 2018, 15:36
Raises hand!

I now have one of the full MTM package cars in my garage. And some very special bits to build a killer engine package.

The MTM car is legit and the fastest RS6 I have ever sat in. Good lord they should have come from the factory this way....will it run 10s no but high 11s easy and maybe mid.

lswing
December 6th, 2018, 18:57
Wow, 90% of this thread is repeating the same thing, trying to dissuade someone who acknowledged all of the issues raised the first time that they were raised. This tone makes people less inclined to post on this forum outside of a tune/exhaust/IC's.

The reason is 90% of the people who have these intentions don't follow through and tend to not know the complexity involved. Has been the case for roughly the last 10 years...it's not so much dissuade, I think it's more buyer beware type of warning. It's awesome when someone pulls off the big build though!

Corbett
December 7th, 2018, 03:14
The reason is 90% of the people who have these intentions don't follow through and tend to not know the complexity involved. Has been the case for roughly the last 10 years...it's not so much dissuade, I think it's more buyer beware type of warning. It's awesome when someone pulls off the big build though!

wait what? I just made 898whp on a heart breaker mustang dyno back in April!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SdLSSoKYeQ

lswing
December 7th, 2018, 04:37

You get a pass, one of the few. What's been the total $$ from AMD and everything else? Must be a beast now, time to snap some axles!

jibberjive
December 8th, 2018, 12:02
You may not have the intention to dissuade, but it is having that effect. The more interesting builds are going to go places like facebook, instead of here with a nice archivable format, if they don't feel like they can post without people repetitively saying that what they are trying to do is pointless. I understand the inclination to try to help save someone from themselves, or from their ignorance (I do it all of the time in the B5 world), but maybe 1, 2, or 3 pages would suffice. 12 pages though...

nubcake
December 9th, 2018, 02:15
I disagree.
If anything, all the "dissuading" posts should actually motivate people to post their builds once they're completed. "Prove em all wrong", you know.
Likely just most of "the builds" are never finished.

ben916
December 11th, 2018, 16:44

Certainly like seeing your gains on performance!!!!

Not discounting your car but yours is a unicorn and a chapter of a ponzi scheme with endless cash.
Dropping that level of cash, prior to you owning the RS600, isn't for everyone.

It certainly can be done.
But there are some that will... try.

Proof of that is the Gumpert Apollo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumpert_Apollo)

Corbett
December 13th, 2018, 02:26
Certainly like seeing your gains on performance!!!!

Not discounting your car but yours is a unicorn and a chapter of a ponzi scheme with endless cash.
Dropping that level of cash, prior to you owning the RS600, isn't for everyone.

It certainly can be done.
But there are some that will... try.

Proof of that is the Gumpert Apollo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumpert_Apollo)

My car was basically completely redone. Not much sportec anything left to it and much faster now. Not nearly as expensive as it was back then. Bolt some 770s up to a stock motor and a 6 speed swap and switch to e85. Car would be a beast

DHall1
December 13th, 2018, 03:09
This

And this

https://store.034motorsport.com/tial-s605-and-770r-turbo-kits-2-7t.html

Corbett
December 13th, 2018, 03:20
This

And this

https://store.034motorsport.com/tial-s605-and-770r-turbo-kits-2-7t.html

Manifolds are unnecessary

GreggPDX
December 13th, 2018, 18:35
My car was basically completely redone. Not much sportec anything left to it and much faster now. Not nearly as expensive as it was back then. Bolt some 770s up to a stock motor and a 6 speed swap and switch to e85. Car would be a beast

Do you know if AMD is planning to sell the 770's as a kit for the RS6? I assume the turbo inlets have to be custom, as well as the downpipes and maybe some of the other plumbing (oil and water). Now that they did the R&D on your car, it would be cool if they could put something together to sell.

Corbett
December 15th, 2018, 20:00
Do you know if AMD is planning to sell the 770's as a kit for the RS6? I assume the turbo inlets have to be custom, as well as the downpipes and maybe some of the other plumbing (oil and water). Now that they did the R&D on your car, it would be cool if they could put something together to sell.

I think he said if enough people wanted to do a group buy he would do it