PDA

View Full Version : TB maintenance, what else to do?

lswing
March 2nd, 2018, 17:22
Alright, finally doing my timing belt service, using the Blauparts enhanced kit with extra items below. Just what other sensors or parts should be replaced while we can?

https://www.blauparts.com/audi-rs6-timing-belt-kit-42l-enh.html

1 Graf Water Pump w/ Metal Impeller and Gasket
1 Flennor / Gates Serpentine Belt
1 Mahle Original Thermostat w/ O-Ring
1 Viton Front Crank Seal
2 Viton Camshaft Seals

Already done on the car are IC hoses, Bufkin pipe, cam adjust/tensioner pads. Will be changing oil/filter also. Will probably do plugs as it's been forever, not sure about coils, never and issue but they are old. N75 diverter valve? Transmission?:)

Any other input would be great, thanks all.

GreggPDX
March 2nd, 2018, 18:25
Are you planning to do the crank seal? It's a fairly serious PITA, so I wouldn't touch it unless you can see evidence of leaking.

lswing
March 2nd, 2018, 18:48
Are you planning to do the crank seal? It's a fairly serious PITA, so I wouldn't touch it unless you can see evidence of leaking.

Referring to the front? I know rear crank seal was done when trans was replaced a few years back. No oil drips that I have seen. Amazingly enough I have never seen oil drips under the car for 7 years, now there's been plenty of steering and coolant fluid before! Always seem to get a small amount of oil dripping on the headers and smoking, no matter how often the valve cover gasket is changed, another issue though...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/front-crank-seal/077115147a/

DHall1
March 2nd, 2018, 21:30
Have you already purchased Blau stuff?

lswing
March 2nd, 2018, 21:55
Have you already purchased Blau stuff?

Nope. Thought it was one of the more solid complete kits...

Bigglezworth
March 2nd, 2018, 23:02
There's not a lot of items on the front. I did both the idler and tensioner for the accessory belt, but that's mileage related.

lswing
March 2nd, 2018, 23:23
There's not a lot of items on the front. I did both the idler and tensioner for the accessory belt, but that's mileage related.

Thanks, sounds about right. We've updated most anything possible when the engine was out a few years back, just trying to get anything preventative while the front is opened up.

DHall1
March 3rd, 2018, 03:14
I dont know know where I noticed it but

they were slamming blau

it was az or qw

Nope. Thought it was one of the more solid complete kits...

lswing
March 3rd, 2018, 16:55
I dont know know where I noticed it but

they were slamming blau

it was az or qw

Will use The Google for some searching, thanks for the heads up.

lswing
March 3rd, 2018, 19:04
Aha, I knew I made myself a list somewhere...

http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

G2
March 4th, 2018, 21:39
The cam sprocket bolts are supposed to be replaced with the cam seals.

Usually need new WP bolts. The WP gaskets are low grade. Get the aftermarket Victor. I'm experimenting with other upgraded gaskets.

Will need the main crank nose bolt if removed. It's TTY. The crank lock pin is required to hold the crank. I estimated the torque at 350 lb/ft with a huge breaker bar. My 1400 lb impact gun can only torque the bolt about 1/3 the way to spec. Of course this does not make sense but it how it works, every time I do these cars. Be sure to use a breaker bar, base torque plus angle, plus angle ( I can never do it in a single 180* sweep)

Not a bad idea to replace the front seal bearing. Sometimes can flip it around. I stock new ones just in case.

The t-stat- housing rubber elbow hose is a good idea to replace. Typical replacement item for me.

Might as well put in a new ECT while the coolant is drained. I usually put in new radiator drain plugs also.

I have been putting in lower temp OE t-stats, for a few C* cooler.

Normally replace the T-body gasket O-ring for the pre plenum intake wing.

Other do-dads not coming to mind for now....have bins with all sorts of OEM bits often needed in addition to TB kits and parts.

lswing
March 5th, 2018, 15:57
G2, great, thanks! I was thinking there were some of these intangibles with bolts, seals, gaskets that don't make the typical list. Trying to get every detail possible while in there, keep things running good as new.