PDA

View Full Version : Welding diffferentials

RS6 rick
September 9th, 2017, 04:03
Need some accurate info. May have to weld a nut on to center and front diff fill plugs to be able to remove them. My questions is will it harm the trans electronics. No guessing please prefer input from experienced people. No disrespect intended to any member. Thanks once again for any and all help. Be safe.

mdegracia
September 9th, 2017, 18:19
Use an air chisel to brake it free.
Replace them with new plugs after.

fbatwork
September 11th, 2017, 15:33
We weld on equipment with very expensive (million plus), sensitive electronics (generally on a vehicle). Prior to welding we disconnect vehicle batteries and disconnect the instruments. In my 30 years we have never had vehicle electronics fail even though we don't disconnect all of the vehicle ECU's etc. We do disconnect our instruments from power but that is fairly straight forward 1 or 2 plugs.

If I had something that I "had" to weld on my RS6 I would. Make sure that battery is disconnected and ensure you have a very good ground that is close to where you are welding... That said I would not weld unless it was the last resort. Just because I have never seen a problem does not mean that you couldn't have one...

SteveKen
September 19th, 2017, 00:17
Have you tried removing them when super hot? I assume that the hex contact areas are still good? Also consider carefully directing some heat on the bolts.

mdegracia
September 19th, 2017, 00:40
Air chisel in the plane of rotation...same approach as removing a viscous fan clutch.