PDA

View Full Version : No wonder they were leaking

bethridg
June 25th, 2017, 05:14
Front cam seals. Left is new (Victor Reinz), right is old (Meyle). Both banks were leaking. Not enough to warrant an immediate tear down but enough to cause a mess.

The Meyle seals were included in the "Valve Cover Cam Chain Tensioner Gasket Kit" from Blauparts. Sometimes packaged deals end up costing more in the long run. Important lesson, especially for some of you folks that depend on shop labor to keep your Beast on the road.

http://i.imgur.com/0mqL0rEl.jpg

Aronis
June 25th, 2017, 22:25
Dam, I used that kit.....better not leak...dam it....

Mike

mrdave
June 26th, 2017, 00:38
I used the V.R. cam seals when I did the timing belt on my S6 and the drivers side leaked immediately. It was my impression that the seal was very slightly too small of a diameter - it didn't seem snug enough to me. I had to take it apart and add RTV and it hasn't leaked since. Not saying they're junk or anything, just sharing my experience.

AndyRS6
June 26th, 2017, 04:11
I bought three sets over few years and all of them used Victor Reinz seals. And even now they used V.R. in description.

Andriy

bethridg
June 26th, 2017, 16:06
I used the V.R. cam seals when I did the timing belt on my S6 and the drivers side leaked immediately. It was my impression that the seal was very slightly too small of a diameter - it didn't seem snug enough to me. I had to take it apart and add RTV and it hasn't leaked since. Not saying they're junk or anything, just sharing my experience.

Fingers crossed. The new seals were nice and tight when tapped into place. Hoping the additional grooves do the trick.

I've got bigger problems now though. Somehow I managed to poke a small hole in the molded rubber coolant line that feeds the turbos. You'know the one that disappears into the abyss under the MAF housing....yeaaah might be dropping the motor again. Hooray.

I bought three sets over few years and all of them used Victor Reinz seals. And even now they used V.R. in description.

Andriy

I must be missing it because I don't see any reference to Reinz in their descriptions outside the individual seal caps.

AndyRS6
June 26th, 2017, 19:00
Yes, you are right ( but my enhanced gasket kit comes with V.R 4 cam seals and 2 end caps, individually packed)
After 4000m no oil leak.