PDA

View Full Version : AC recharge?

SAF
May 27th, 2017, 17:16
Mine seems to be fading. Never messed with it before.
Can I DIY boost with one of those refill tanks like I've used on the Jetta or is it a different refrigerant?

Aronis
May 27th, 2017, 23:07
It's pretty easy. The kit comes with the correct fitting. There are two different size fittings. One is for draining and one for filling. The kits come with the filling one. You connect with a pressure gauge, start up the car and A/C and open the valve on the replacement tank. Let it fill to proper pressure.

I have the kit to recharge mine but am waiting for some time to swap out the leaking compressor. I have all the parts. The compressor was $300 bucks or so.....

Mike

GreggPDX
May 27th, 2017, 23:41
You can as long as you have at least a little bit refrigerant still in the system. If the system is totally empty and air has entered it, then you need to pull a vacuum first before putting more refrigerant in.

SAF
May 29th, 2017, 16:22
Success! Chillin again.

Aronis
May 30th, 2017, 01:09
yup! Mine is empty....LOL>..leaking compressor....mechanic said "I told you it was leaking." I said "As if I would have said NO to replacing a 300 dollar part with ZERO labor cost" at the time the engine was out.....arrrrrrggggghhhhh

hahnmgh63
June 1st, 2017, 10:49
What Greg said, if the system is empty you need to pull a vacuum on it first. The factory does a vacuum and refills with liquid freon rater by weight rather than gas by pressure so that is how I did a friends but you need an accurate scale for your freon tank.