PDA

View Full Version : Anyone local to southern CT to meet up?

Compass Error
May 20th, 2017, 04:27
Im a new owner and would like to compare my OEM suspension to aftermarket. Around 78k miles and probably need to start replacing bushings and arms, maybe shocks as well but I have no concept for how the car is supposed to handle. It's my daily driver now since I put KW V3 on my z4m which is a bit too stiff for the commute. DRC feels like a Cadillac in comparison...

I'm in the new Haven area but willing to travel a bit

ttboost
May 20th, 2017, 21:38
If your DRC is functioning, not leaking and otherwise in good shape, keep it. You won't find anything better for a street car.

Compass Error
May 20th, 2017, 23:17
DRC was replaced under warranty at 30k so about 50k on them now, what's their approximate lifetime? They are very comfortable on the highway and very little body roll around town but not confidence inspiring at higher speeds (70+) especially with "spirited" lane changes. Am I expecting too much?

ttboost
May 20th, 2017, 23:33
Yes. Lower your expectations. It is a 14yr old, 4300 pound car...it is still a technological marvel of it's time, but antiquated by todays standards. If you want a race car...buy a race car...if you want a reasonably fast "affordable" sedan, that will outrun MOST things on the road, that aren't newer performance cars, drive your RS6.

Bigglezworth
May 22nd, 2017, 15:15
Yes. Lower your expectations. It is a 14yr old, 4300 pound car...it is still a technological marvel of it's time, but antiquated by todays standards. If you want a race car...buy a race car...if you want a reasonably fast "affordable" sedan, that will outrun MOST things on the road, that aren't newer performance cars, drive your RS6.

Well stated.

Compass Error
May 22nd, 2017, 15:58
Thanks ttboost, I appreciate your candor. I've only ever driven the one example so just wanted to be sure.

ttboost
May 23rd, 2017, 01:23
As you read through the pages on this forum, you will quickly find out it takes copious amounts of cash and time to keep these cars on the straight and narrow. It takes that same amount of cash to make it "faster", and at the end of the day, you're still not as fast as some of the newer cars right off the lot. Many here like myself have leaned this. But for the money, best bang for the buck...it is the nicest twin turbo, V8, 4 door familymobile under $20k.

Compass Error
May 23rd, 2017, 02:37
Yeah I got that impression (money pit) while researching but came to the same conclusion, "best bang for the buck". Having a backup car helps and I only put about 5k on per year anyway so maintenance will go a long way. I just don't have enough history with this model or Audis in general to know what to expect in terms of upkeep; I've only owned and worked on BMW. I wanted something bigger and more comfortable, with AWD, so I started looking for an S8 (D2 or D3.) I got lucky and saw a couple RS6s locally, went for a test drive and was hooked... I think it's a design that aged very well both exterior and interior, and the engine performs and sounds fantastic.

ttboost
May 23rd, 2017, 02:58
Yep, they're great cars, until they need maintenance. If you keep up with it, it's more forgiving, otherwise it will turn into a financial burden that most aren't ready for. If you can't spin a wrench yourself, be prepared, as the engine comes out for other most work, other than very light maintenance (oil changes etc...).

Turbowned
June 1st, 2017, 03:19
I'm up near Hartford if you want to try a 99k mile car with Koni sport struts and 034Motorsport Density Line control arms. I think the DRC probably rode better, but $700 for four Konis vs replacing one DRC strut at $700/ea, it was a no-brainer.

Compass Error
June 1st, 2017, 16:17
I'm up near Hartford if you want to try a 99k mile car with Koni sport struts and 034Motorsport Density Line control arms. I think the DRC probably rode better, but $700 for four Konis vs replacing one DRC strut at $700/ea, it was a no-brainer.
Yeah I'm still interested, would you be willing to split the distance a bit, say Middletown?

ttboost
June 2nd, 2017, 12:32
LOL...seriously...