PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Modify RS6 Stock Exhaust?

GmbH1
April 28th, 2017, 21:34
I'm thinking about modifying my stock exhaust instead of doing a full non resonated system from Milltek and wondering if any of you have done this? I brought my car into a local custom exhaust shop and told me I could just leave the back section as the stock one appears to be free flowing and just delete secondary cat and mid resonator so straight pipe from the downpipe all the way to the back section. I just want it to breath a little better and hope to get the deep sound that I had on my last non res Milltek. Any thoughts or other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ttboost
April 29th, 2017, 00:03
I just did completely catless downpipes, leave everything else...don't really need anything more than that from a flow perspective....I bought some stock downpipes that were cut off at the precats. So I gutted the precats and welded new stainless straight pipe on to meet the stock exhaust...

AMDRS6
April 29th, 2017, 01:34
This is what mine has and it's great. I think anything after this you're just changing the exhaust note. I love how mine sounds. Not too loud but roars when I get on his. Turbos hiss too. :)

I just did completely catless downpipes, leave everything else...don't really need anything more than that from a flow perspective....I bought some stock downpipes that were cut off at the precats. So I gutted the precats and welded new stainless straight pipe on to meet the stock exhaust...

fukinavit
April 29th, 2017, 05:29

i modded my SE exhaust with an electric cut out, $60 off ebay with controller and a hard wired switch, i tend to leave it open most of the time as it sounds soooo much better now. i have the switch currently mounted in the trunk but plan on switching it to open when i select sport mode.

rah
April 29th, 2017, 11:09
This is what mine has and it's great. I think anything after this you're just changing the exhaust note. I love how mine sounds. Not too loud but roars when I get on his. Turbos hiss too. :)

I would love to hear it sometimes if you are still in the Seattle area! Mine has the SE set up but i would love to hear how yours sounds for sure. If i remember correctly, you just purchased it not long ago, congrats!

GmbH1
April 29th, 2017, 14:44
Did the exhaust note change much with just doing the downpipes and any difference performance wise?

GmbH1
April 29th, 2017, 14:46
Did the exhaust note change much with just doing the downpipes and any difference performance wise?

GmbH1
April 29th, 2017, 14:48
Fukinavit, I like this idea as well and haven't seen anybody do this before. Nice work!

GreggPDX
May 1st, 2017, 17:07
I'm planning to modify my stock SE system by just removing the muffler cans at the back. My understanding (based on very little actual expertise) is that the mufflers primarily reduce volume, and the resonators reduce the higher-pitch "raspy" sounds. This is why I plan to leave the resonators in place. I just want the car louder while avoiding some of the rasp.

I don't expect any of this stuff to improve performance, I'm just doing it for sound!

GmbH1
May 1st, 2017, 18:19
GreggPDX , I'm no expert by any means either but when I did the Milltek non resonated exhaust on my last RS6 it deleted the resonators it but definitely did it a higher pitch raspy sound and if anything else it made it a much deeper sound.

I'm planning to modify my stock SE system by just removing the muffler cans at the back. My understanding (based on very little actual expertise) is that the mufflers primarily reduce volume, and the resonators reduce the higher-pitch "raspy" sounds. This is why I plan to leave the resonators in place. I just want the car louder while avoiding some of the rasp.

I don't expect any of this stuff to improve performance, I'm just doing it for sound!

GreggPDX
May 1st, 2017, 19:04
GreggPDX , I'm no expert by any means either but when I did the Milltek non resonated exhaust on my last RS6 it deleted the resonators it but definitely did it a higher pitch raspy sound and if anything else it made it a much deeper sound.

Interesting, sounds like Milltek was able to tune the sound exactly right, that's the nice thing about going with their setup.

This article gives a nice overview of muffler versus resonator: http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-mufflers-and-resonators-whats-the-difference.html

The challenge is figuring out exactly what frequency the factory resonators are designed to tune out. It's very possible they are targeting the "drone" rather than the "rasp".

Once I do the muffler-delete on mine, I'll definitely provide some sound-samples and feedback.

04rs6cdn
May 9th, 2017, 22:16
I just cut out my rear mufflers just after the brace cross bar with straight pipes and even reattached the stock tips to keep the stock look and it sounds amazing!!! Nice at idle and a nice deep sound at acceleration, no drone!! cost me 200 at a local muffler shop!! Totally recommended this cheap mod!

GreggPDX
May 10th, 2017, 22:22
I just cut out my rear mufflers just after the brace cross bar with straight pipes and even reattached the stock tips to keep the stock look and it sounds amazing!!! Nice at idle and a nice deep sound at acceleration, no drone!! cost me 200 at a local muffler shop!! Totally recommended this cheap mod!

That's exactly what I want to do!

Do you happen to have any pics?

bakes
May 11th, 2017, 03:30
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/gregbaker/thumb_20160928_184253_1024_zpsabx1n2ng.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/gregbaker/media/thumb_20160928_184253_1024_zpsabx1n2ng.jpg.html)

I did the same but since my lower rear bumper is custom i went with dual stainless steel tips. I've kept the factory tips on the factory mufflers in case I want to swap them back in.

bakes
May 11th, 2017, 03:32
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/gregbaker/1a9d472b-c951-4948-9034-a90eb28812ab_zpse5a2bvrg.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/gregbaker/media/1a9d472b-c951-4948-9034-a90eb28812ab_zpse5a2bvrg.jpg.html)

bakes
May 11th, 2017, 03:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-noga6y4QP8

SAFE4NOW
March 10th, 2021, 23:44
https://youtu.be/lbq2p52Un3Q

This was my Imola Yellow " Fast Taxi " doing a run on the AWD Dyno.

3" straight pipe from downpipes back.

The higher pitched whine is the dyno rollers....

Turbo whistle can be heard at idle, nothing but grunt under load!

Steve

Muggy
March 11th, 2021, 23:38
Love the Imola! At first, I thought WTF about the "launch" on the dyno, but then noticed the drag lights and the simulator...I've personally never seen one of those "indoor" drag strips...:incar:

tkrtape1
May 7th, 2021, 18:49
Love the Imola! At first, I thought WTF about the "launch" on the dyno, but then noticed the drag lights and the simulator...I've personally never seen one of those "indoor" drag strips...:incar:

I've been really having a tough time finding down pipes or a shop that c an create some proper....any tips would be appreciated.

Peter

SAFE4NOW
May 8th, 2021, 07:43
I've been really having a tough time finding down pipes or a shop that c an create some proper....any tips would be appreciated.

Peter

Depending on your budget:

Ken’s Muffler off NW Hwy and Marsh directly across from Bachman Lake
Can do straight pipes for you.

If you want front to back custom stainless and don’t mind paying for perfection
Look up Dallas Performance , they will get you done!

Steve

tkrtape1
May 8th, 2021, 17:54
Thanks!
I had the exhaust done , but have been looking for down pipes. I just haven’t
found any for sale or a shop that can do the mandrel bends?

Are you local ? I haven’t seen Any RS6’s the local Audi group has been doing a couple events
trying to get out more now that things are re opening.

Thanks,

Depending on your budget:

Ken’s Muffler off NW Hwy and Marsh directly across from Bachman Lake
Can do straight pipes for you.

If you want front to back custom stainless and don’t mind paying for perfection
Look up Dallas Performance , they will get you done!

Steve

SAFE4NOW
May 8th, 2021, 21:59
Dallas Performance can take care of what you need.
Call them, tell them Steve from Ferrari referred you.

I am in N.Dallas

I used to be super involved in the DFW Audi scene, not sure what’s happening anymore.

Steve

tkrtape1
May 9th, 2021, 00:33
Steve....Big Thanks ! I’ll call on Monday.

Peter
I’m in the Keller/Southlake area I’m also in the Porsche group.