PDA

View Full Version : 'Whooo' Under Throttle

topcat_92
April 5th, 2017, 00:21
AMDRS6 mentioned a 'whooo' under throttle in his 'Beasts' posts. My RS6 started the same noise just recently, so I figured I'd start a thread. I talked to Addict Motorsports and they weren't sure what it is, but knew of a different RS6 with the same noise. They'll check it out the next time I am in.

Anyone have an idea of what this is?

lswing
April 5th, 2017, 06:49
Boost/air leak...

Aronis
April 5th, 2017, 17:05
Boost/air leak...

second that

urs6ville
April 5th, 2017, 19:45
second that

... actually twice (once on each side). Was fine unless I really got on it, then would get really loud whooosh (as expected). Easy to reattach.

Bigglezworth
April 5th, 2017, 22:43
AMDRS6 mentioned a 'whooo' under throttle in his 'Beasts' posts. My RS6 started the same noise just recently, so I figured I'd start a thread. I talked to Addict Motorsports and they weren't sure what it is, but knew of a different RS6 with the same noise. They'll check it out the next time I am in.

Anyone have an idea of what this is?
"Whooo" or "WHOOSH.."

The latter is a significant boost leak that is frequently caused by one of the hoses in the charge line coming loose and is immediately easy to confirm due to loss of engine output power. Otherwise, it's not as easy to diagnose with just the description. The latter has happened to me on all three of my cars and each time was due to a clamped connection letting loose under pressure vs. the hose itself letting loose. Quick and easy to resolve if it's a lower intercooler hose, or even an upper passenger hose. Less quick to resolve if it's driver side, and more time consuming to resolve if it's the smaller hoses next to the engine block.

Aronis
April 6th, 2017, 00:00
Oh, sorry, forgot to ask.

When you get on the Throttle is there a little old man sitting next to you trying to say "Slow Down?"

Mike

ben916
April 6th, 2017, 20:09
When you get on the Throttle is there a Prius next to you trying to say "Slow Down?"

FTFY... Too many green hippies here in Seattle, soon to be filled up with assisted heroin injection sites.

Aronis
April 6th, 2017, 22:28
FTFY... Too many green hippies here in Seattle, soon to be filled up with assisted heroin injection sites.

HEY, you changed my quote! B(^#$(^(&*^! Little Old Man! Not a PRIUS!

Mike

AMDRS6
April 7th, 2017, 18:00
I don't think mine is a whooSH, but a wOOOOO and doesn't happen every time I get on it. I think it's axle/torque related. Still have yet to investigate. The power is definitely there!

nubcake
April 7th, 2017, 20:08
If it sounds like I think it sounds - then it's just a 15 yr old turbo spinning up.
Nothing to be immediately concerned about, it can do that for quite a while before actually failing.

ben916
April 7th, 2017, 21:17
HEY, you changed my quote! B(^#$(^(&*^! Little Old Man! Not a PRIUS!

Mike

Why yes, yes I did :)

AMDRS6
April 7th, 2017, 21:43
Turbos aren't very old

Aronis
April 7th, 2017, 22:57
Why yes, yes I did :)

LMAO! made my day Buddy!

Mike

AMDRS6
May 13th, 2017, 18:45
Leaning toward this now, just have to find time to investigate. It's gotten louder and the meth is going into failsafe. No codes so it's probably a hose leaking under boost. Will let you all know what I find.

Thanks

"Whooo" or "WHOOSH.."

The latter is a significant boost leak that is frequently caused by one of the hoses in the charge line coming loose and is immediately easy to confirm due to loss of engine output power. Otherwise, it's not as easy to diagnose with just the description. The latter has happened to me on all three of my cars and each time was due to a clamped connection letting loose under pressure vs. the hose itself letting loose. Quick and easy to resolve if it's a lower intercooler hose, or even an upper passenger hose. Less quick to resolve if it's driver side, and more time consuming to resolve if it's the smaller hoses next to the engine block.

ttboost
May 14th, 2017, 14:23
Almost always the hoses under the hood on the top of the IC's...that you can get to easy...you better hope it's not the lower ones...

AMDRS6
May 15th, 2017, 04:24
It was indeed an axle. Ordering Raxles tomorrow.

No boost leaks but having meth issues. Car is still fast without the meth. Love this beast.

mrdave
May 15th, 2017, 15:28

The whistles go Whoooooo!

marklar182
May 19th, 2017, 17:08
Diverter valves can also cause the whoooo noise FYI,

AMDRS6
May 19th, 2017, 17:15
Thanks I'll check those. Probably swap out just to be safe and potentially have extras. Just got a new axle hub last night, hoping to install it soon. Will report.

Diverter valves can also cause the whoooo noise FYI,

AMDRS6
May 20th, 2017, 08:04
It's definitely a boost leak. I swapped in a new axle knuckle and that didn't fix it (boot was torn anyway)

So next is inspecting/replacing DV's and after that not sure, just poke around for a good ol' boost leak! I already checked IC hoses and turbo hoses. I hope it's the DV's, it sure messes with the meth system and makes the car feel like it's gonna blow. Been running with it off mostly. It needs a few other things so will probably drop it off at AMD and let them figure it out.