PDA

View Full Version : How to change EGT sensors....

makaveli42
March 21st, 2017, 20:45
I googled and used the search on this forum. Can't find any info on what's involved to change the EGT sensors. On one Audi forum I found an older thread that someone with an S6 thought you had to drop the engine....I feel like that's a little much lol. Any link or info would be appreciated! Thanks!

UrS6
March 22nd, 2017, 15:28
Not sure but I just changed the printed circuit boards on mine and it fixed the problem. Much cheaper and easier if it solves the problem.

lswing
March 22nd, 2017, 17:08
There's info on my website about the quick repair, not doing the whole change. Did you use "site:rs6.com egt sensors" for your search? Been discussed many times, but yes you will need some engine movement at least service position I believe. Just keep clearing the code until you really need to move the engine:)

makaveli42
March 22nd, 2017, 20:29
There's info on my website about the quick repair, not doing the whole change. Did you use "site:rs6.com egt sensors" for your search? Been discussed many times, but yes you will need some engine movement at least service position I believe. Just keep clearing the code until you really need to move the engine:)

Your website was was the first site google showed! Didn't see a full "how to" tho.

I screenshotted how to search using the "site:rs6" thing. Keep forgetting how to do it. Thanks

s8prtotype
March 23rd, 2017, 13:41
If the fix don't work just use the money to tune them out. :)

Aronis
March 25th, 2017, 17:26
The re-solder trick worked for me. If the actual part gives up the ghost it is unlikely to be the wire that goes into the exhaust but the circuit board. You can buy new ones (they are not cheap) and just cut off the large wire and attach OUTSIDE the box and that way avoid damaging the circuit inside. There are just two conductors. The probe in the exhaust is unlikely to ever actually fail.

Mike

UrS6
March 25th, 2017, 21:34
My two EGT boards were under $80 shipped. Fixed my problem and took 30 minutes to do both.

Aronis
March 25th, 2017, 22:06
My two EGT boards were under $80 shipped. Fixed my problem and took 30 minutes to do both.

that's much better, can you give part numbers and source? I thought they were 300 or so each when I looked.

Aronis
March 25th, 2017, 22:17
This is what I based my recollections on! LOL $570 for pair. My plan was to buy this and just splice it in leaving the sensor lead in place. It's just two conducts, nothing special, thermal conductor thermometer. Either solder directly to the board or just splice outside the box should be fine. But I like your Circuit board price better:)

Mike

UrS6
March 25th, 2017, 22:40
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=4302.0

Here's a link. They're not OE but I did one of mine a couple years ago and another one more recently. For the money and the ease I'm more than happy.

P1054
March 26th, 2017, 09:03
So that thread appears to reference non-RS6 EGTs, which to the best of my knowledge are different. Does the same guy make RS6 PCB boards as well? If so, I'll be ordering a pair for good measure.

hahnmgh63
March 26th, 2017, 15:49
I've heard the B5 S4 sensors are the same, just that the RS6 cables are a little longer. I've seen them side by side and other than the length they look identical.

nubcake
March 26th, 2017, 18:04
I've heard the B5 S4 sensors are the same, just that the RS6 cables are a little longer. I've seen them side by side and other than the length they look identical.

No.
RS6 are wideband, 2.7T are narrowband.
Not a direct replacement unless you change the ECU code.

hahnmgh63
March 27th, 2017, 03:35
So that would leave us to believe the boards are different?

nubcake
March 27th, 2017, 11:22
So that would leave us to believe the boards are different?

I believe so - since the board is responsible for sensor range.

P1054
March 27th, 2017, 18:21
Urs6, did you order the boards from that link, and install them in your RS6? If so, can you confirm they now work properly? Did you specifically request RS6 EGT boards? Or..?

UrS6
March 27th, 2017, 18:25
Urs6, did you order the boards from that link, and install them in your RS6? If so, can you confirm they now work properly? Did you specifically request RS6 EGT boards? Or..?
I emailed him. He had specific ones for the RS6 that were not listed on his website. I put them in months ago and they work perfectly.