PDA

View Full Version : ECU Tunes and Knock sensor ?

eurovintage
March 17th, 2017, 22:46
As a lot of the Tunes seem to require 93 octane or more,
just wondering if the stock knock sensor is still active
and intervenes in case of lower grade fuel ?
Do not think one should be driving with lower grade fuel in this case
anyway, only in emergencies.
Which tunes MTM, APR >>
Thanks
Ivan

nubcake
March 18th, 2017, 00:11
Some tuners mess with knock detection threshold and/or with amount/time of ignition retard due to knocking.
I personally consider that a bad practice, unless it's a specifically build race car and the owner completely understands possible consequences.

But to answer your question - yes, generally knock sensors will still be active and react on bad fuel, but only as a "post-action", meaning that the engine will knock and then ECU will pull timing.
The proper way to deal with that (if you want both options - performance with higher octane fuel, but still being able to use lower grade) - is to get a custom tune with switchable maps.

eurovintage
March 18th, 2017, 00:32
Thanks,
Whose Tune with variable maps would You recommend, assuming stock ECU ?

nubcake
March 18th, 2017, 11:12
Thanks,
Whose Tune with variable maps would You recommend, assuming stock ECU ?

As I'm a tuner myself, I'll obviously recommend mine. :)
You can PM me for more info if interested.

But any reputable ME7 tuner should be able to do this, it's quite well-researched field by now.

Bigglezworth
March 18th, 2017, 15:44
As a lot of the Tunes seem to require 93 octane or more,
just wondering if the stock knock sensor is still active
and intervenes in case of lower grade fuel ?
Do not think one should be driving with lower grade fuel in this case
anyway, only in emergencies.
Which tunes MTM, APR >>
Thanks
Ivan

I have never heard of any of the 'common' tunes available for this car requiring 93 or higher. The car in base trim is specified to use premium fuel and that wouldn't change even with a tune. Your tunes will be able to eek out some additional power with higher octane level fuels (I know mine does), but they will not hinder using base premium. As for using a dual/multi map set-up, I well believe you're wasting your time. As I stated in another thread, even though you can track this car, it's really not suitable for regular use as such. That leaves it to tearing up the streets and highways at which point, you will be driving normal a good portion of that time and not want to fuss with flip-flopping just to get that sporatic thrill.

eurovintage
March 19th, 2017, 07:42
Actually MTM Tune requires 93. The idea on my end was to save money going to 91 or even possibly lower with special tunes,
like AP has 91 or 92 or 100 Octane tunes.

lswing
March 19th, 2017, 20:02
You're generally fine on good gas, best octane possible. Unless you have a custom tune that is really pressing the limits...just add water methanol!