PDA

View Full Version : Cl65 interest...

Sochi1990
February 27th, 2017, 01:46
Any input is very appreciated. After a fallen deal on rs6, going to wait for a converted one....attention came to 05 mbz cl65. Did some research and it's a pretty strong machine, weakness being the hydraulic suspension which can be replaced with a coilover kit....thank you

Bigglezworth
February 28th, 2017, 01:08
Any input is very appreciated. After a fallen deal on rs6, going to wait for a converted one....attention came to 05 mbz cl65. Did some research and it's a pretty strong machine, weakness being the hydraulic suspension which can be replaced with a coilover kit....thank you
Might get a better opinion on a used Merc on a dedicated board vs. one dedicated to Audi. There are only a handfull of people that have the Merc on here. It's fast. It's a quality ride. It's expensive.... Your wallet will learn to hate it, and you will learn to great your local tireshop owner by his first name.

Other than that, your comment about "waiting for a converted one" makes entirely no sense in that the Merc is a multitronic style of auto also?

Sochi1990
February 28th, 2017, 01:37
I meant, going to wait for a converted rs6. In meantime checking out the cl65.

CBeau
February 28th, 2017, 02:38
First = I love my RS6, major cool factor, very rare (esp. nice and running), descent performance, true car lovers car - the kind of persnickety car you love to hate and hate to love.... or kinda like my funny TX friend said about his crazy ass dog once "I wouldn't trade him for the world.... but I wouldn't give you two dollars for another one just like him". That said, not much to compare there bw those two cars. First off its old enough (as is C5 RS6) that it is a real car built like a real car. New cars and I don't care what brand unless a true exotic like Ferrari, Lambo etc. (and even then can be kinda iffy at times... buy a Pagani you will have zero junk worries) but very much including AMG, almost all Porsches and on down the line.... are cheap JUNK made of junk materials not engineered to last more than 10 years from the get-go in many ways..... intentional commoditization and droning of the whole industry, don't believe me, just wait and watch what you see in next 10 years, you'll be lucky to be "driving" any car. I'm not even going to digress on that but it has going for it its old enuf to be a real car. It costs twice as much as RS6 did. It is designed as a true luxury executive car from the jump, not a limited production "hey look what we can do with our plain platform" limited production afterthought on steriods. And built on S class chassis = big bad and heavy.... a rolling fortress. Fit, finish and materials its totally not fair to compare a RS6 to it. 65 engine is like no other. There are no other twin turbo V12 production motors, that I know of. I have had a SL65 for several years and drove many 65 engine cars other than mine and you won't find anything like it. Bad ass, fast fast fast, tq tq tq. And parts are super expensive (not just 65 engine but CL / aging benz in general). Some parts worse than others, as you mention the height adjustable shocks can fail but usually due to lack of use, unused AMGs are very expensive ones to keep. Another anecdote, new alternator, try about $1.4kish... the part. Also nowhere near - not even close - to the level of following and enthusiast knowledge that you can find here for RS6. Post any half technical question on a MB forum and prepare for total silence. Also that particular model is a depreciation queen = great buy if your into that kind of car. If you aren't a real hard core and possibly even quirky Audi lover and you drove a CL65 and followed it up by a drive in a RS6 you may very well be, probably would be, more than slightly underwhelmed and disappointed. Unless you feel like you gotta have a RS6 or some other reason like that...buy it!!! You will love it. Very few cars on the road are as fast as that car, and its like driving a luxury bespoke leather theater room down the street. And it will handle, and it will brake very well, but if you get in over your head - which is very easy to do - and lose control of that big pig you may as well speed dial Geico. But the 34 airbags (I made that # up) and unparalleled safety engineering will most likely prevent any bodily injury.

CBeau
February 28th, 2017, 02:50
The only thing close in performance / luxury / comfort combo I'd say would be a Bentley GT. Nothing Audi, BMW, Maserati etc. make are in the class of a CL65 of that generation IMO. You can get a Continental pretty cheap now too and very few of them will be beat unless maybe multiple multiple owners... W12 twin turbo.... and in the VW/Audi family if that does anything for you.

Sochi1990
February 28th, 2017, 14:44
Thank you for the heads up...sounds like it's a luxury out of the box dragster (I am 10min from sonoma raceway :revs: ). Will make a final decision after driving one...thank you again

s8prtotype
February 28th, 2017, 17:17
08 CL65... 30k right now.... was 220k new?? Jesus....

I now need both cars.