PDA

View Full Version : 18613 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System P2181 - 008 -

Aronis
February 20th, 2017, 20:53
Any idea where to look first? I know it is usually the thermostat, but I doubt it failed so quickly as it is new a few 1000 miles ago.

My fans both run for a while after stopping without running the car aggressively.

Today at Car Wash the battery symbol showed up and the volt meter dropped to low end of scale, I was able to drive off and a few seconds later the light was out and the meter was at plus 13 or so (normal spot) and thing were fine. So instead of going to work I took it home and use the other car.

This afternoon I hooked up with VAGCOM and when I turned the car on the two fans came on, did the scans, and got that error. I cleared the errors, but I could not start the car. Loose wire somewhere! I am going to let it sit (dry out?) and try again later. I suspect something got wet at the car wash.

The fan issue was BEFORE the car wash so that is something different.

Mike

Aronis
February 20th, 2017, 20:56
Well the thermostat was new at 127,000 miles, now 142,000 so perhaps not that New any more.....I guess it could be fubar.

I just replaced the control valve for the EGR and that cleared my issue with the secondary air injection system.

DAM!

Mike

lswing
February 20th, 2017, 21:58
The real lesson in this is you should not be using the car wash! Hope it clears up soon...

Aronis
February 21st, 2017, 17:41
LOL, thanks Iswing....

It started right up this morning, just a weak battery, but no codes, did not want to risk taking it to work, I'll drive it tonight. I think it is a loose wire or two. I am not sure where to start looking....pain in the A&&.

Mike

P1054
February 21st, 2017, 19:43
No specific experience, but I'd start with checking all ground connections.

Aronis
February 21st, 2017, 23:56
yes, I was thinking that, how many are their? I have taken the firewall ground off before and reseated that one when I had the first indication of a cam tensioner problem. Where else are the grounds?

Mike