PDA

View Full Version : replaced EGR solenoid, so far so good

Aronis
February 14th, 2017, 13:51
I finally took the time to replace the $50 EGS solenoid in hopes of fixing the insufficient flow for the secondary air pump system. It's been a week now, and still no CEL!

Last thing is to replace my A/C compressor, think DIY or pay.

Question about the serpentine belt for those who have replaced it, can you get at the tension bolt from below without putting the car in service position? I'd like to just swap the a/c compressor from below without a major PITA job.

Mike

P1054
February 14th, 2017, 20:12
If I recall correctly, yes, but you need just the right length socket, there's not a lot of extra room. I did it once and it's a pain getting the serpentine belt routed properly, but if you only remove the AC compressor and don't remove the belt from the rest of the pulleys, it shouldn't be too terrible.

Aronis
February 14th, 2017, 23:30
Thanks!
I'll take a look when the cold weather passes......LOL

hahnmgh63
February 15th, 2017, 00:04
Yes, with a good long box end wrench rather than a socket. Compressor is a DIY as long as you are prepped to do a proper recharge of the system, that is with a vacuum pump first then fill. At the factory they vacuum the system and then liquid fill by weight. I vacuum'd then liquid filled but guessed at the amount so I backed that up by starting the engine and using a pressure gauge and then topped it off from there. I have since bought a nice digital scale for next time.

Aronis
February 15th, 2017, 00:14
Excellent..sounds doable. can you point to the type of vacuum pump to use?

GreggPDX
February 15th, 2017, 02:42
Excellent..sounds doable. can you point to the type of vacuum pump to use?

This is what I use, works great:

https://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-90059-R-Silver-Vacuum-Pump/dp/B000F088S6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487125508&sr=1-1&keywords=mastercool+vacuum+pump

hahnmgh63
February 15th, 2017, 03:35
That one on Amazon looks like a good price. Just make sure it has fitting for the R134A ports, probably does.

Aronis
February 27th, 2017, 23:33
Lasted less than two weeks, CEL back on, did not even scan LOL, I think the secondary air pump is going, is very loud now.....Just ordered a new one from Autohauz, $308. free shipping. Anyone change one of these? Looks pretty easy.

Mike

Bigglezworth
February 28th, 2017, 01:12
Lasted less than two weeks, CEL back on, did not even scan LOL, I think the secondary air pump is going, is very loud now.....Just ordered a new one from Autohauz, $308. free shipping. Anyone change one of these? Looks pretty easy.

Mike

Easy access. Plugs right in and bolts up with a single bracket. 10-15min +/- swap time

Aronis
February 28th, 2017, 02:14
Thanks, Looks pretty straightforward.

Mike