PDA

View Full Version : serpentine belt replacement

RS6 rick
February 6th, 2017, 01:25
Just s note members. Had to replace the serpentine belt on my RS6 at 27k mi. Conti belt done at time of TB change. The belt was cracked and aged. Just keep a little closer eye on these. It would not have gone 40k I don't think. Be safe.

mrdave
February 6th, 2017, 03:46
Yeah I recently noticed the serp belt on my S6 had some cracking after less than 20k miles after replacement, while the TB still looked brand new. Both Contis.

Aronis
February 6th, 2017, 15:17
comes down to when the belts were actually manufactured and how they were stored. Time is time, either on the shelf or in your car.

Mike

Bigglezworth
February 7th, 2017, 03:50
Just s note members. Had to replace the serpentine belt on my RS6 at 27k mi. Conti belt done at time of TB change. The belt was cracked and aged. Just keep a little closer eye on these. It would not have gone 40k I don't think. Be safe.
It will go 40K easily on a car that is driven regularly. At 27K, you are less than 25% the total of reasonable average mileage. Your belt has lasted as long as anyone elses - just didn't go as far. This is true for all rubber based products. Your seals will be meet the same fate. Not driving a car like this is a travesty IMO. Get some distance on things.

RS6 rick
February 8th, 2017, 22:32
It will go 40K easily on a car that is driven regularly. At 27K, you are less than 25% the total of reasonable average mileage. Your belt has lasted as long as anyone elses - just didn't go as far. This is true for all rubber based products. Your seals will be meet the same fate. Not driving a car like this is a travesty IMO. Get some distance on things.

I was not clear. The car has been driven regularly, it's 22k since it went in with the t belt. This is not acceptable. It's entirely possible it should have been replaced at 15k mi. of use.

lswing
February 9th, 2017, 18:00
I was not clear. The car has been driven regularly, it's 22k since it went in with the t belt. This is not acceptable. It's entirely possible it should have been replaced at 15k mi. of use.

As mentioned above, sounds like someone sold you an old belt, probably been on the shelf since 2003:lovl:

Glad you caught it though!!!