PDA

View Full Version : Engine Air Filters

agent5150
January 16th, 2017, 20:36
Is there a DIY how to doc on replacing engine air filters?

DHall1
January 16th, 2017, 21:03
Pull engine
Go inside the house get a colt 45
go down to the bank and rob it
come home and start dumping cash in the engine bay

done

or

get a t25 and remove 15 screws

mrdave
January 16th, 2017, 21:22
It's easy. Remove the carbon fiber cover on top of the engine - like DHall1 said, 15 screws. Replace 2 air filters. Replace carbon fiber cover.

agent5150
January 16th, 2017, 21:59
I just finished pouring cash (on the TC replacement :rs6kiss:) :) thanks for the help. What brand filters you would recommend. I was thinking of K&N.

hahnmgh63
January 16th, 2017, 22:45
Stay away from K&N, they're false hype. Go with Mahle or Mann OEM filters. K&N or any other oiled filters were fine years ago but with newer cars with Mass flow heated wire sensors the microscopic oil particles can prematurely degrade the sensors over time. Also, don't be careful to not over tighten the Torx screws when re-installing.

agent5150
January 17th, 2017, 01:45
Stay away from K&N, they're false hype. Go with Mahle or Mann OEM filters. K&N or any other oiled filters were fine years ago but with newer cars with Mass flow heated wire sensors the microscopic oil particles can prematurely degrade the sensors over time. Also, don't be careful to not over tighten the Torx screws when re-installing.

Thanks. Ordered Mann.

Turbowned
January 19th, 2017, 03:08
It's only 15 screws? I'd swear it was like 45 when I'm trying to do them all and not lose track of all the fuzzy washers... PITA but you only need to do it once in a great while so whatever