PDA

View Full Version : Readiness help; running basic settings for secondary air inj

kruat
November 25th, 2016, 21:48
Gents,

Awhile ago, I accidentally broke a nipple of the N112 valve for the secondary air injection. In the mean time, I capped off the lines and just dealt with the light CEL. I have since replaced the sensor, with a new OEM.

Now I can't get the codes to go away. I'm getting insufficient flow on both bank 1 and bank 2. I clear the code, and within a few days it comes back. Well, time has come to get the car emissions tested, and it fails.

I have searched around and found a few topics on setting readiness, which were basically just go out and drive it. So, I ran auto scan, cleared everything, and then took it on a 130 mile trip. All the readiness set except secondary air and evap systems. I got a code of 0000 1100.

Today, I have been trying to force VagCom to run basic setting for the secondary air injection, thinking that maybe it won't set readiness unless the cpu knows the problem has been fixed. But I can't get basic settings, block 77/78 to run. I'm running the newest version of VagCom, with a licensed cable. (if that makes a difference).

I go into basic settings, block 77, and hit run test. Vagcom will take control of the throttle control, but nothing happens on the screen. Block 4 still shows test off.

I know this was a long winded question, but to sum it up, has anyone every successfully ran basic settings block 77/78 on their RS6?

lswing
November 26th, 2016, 21:43
I'll try and check. I assume you've read the threads about how to loop around the SAI without throwing a CEL?

kruat
November 26th, 2016, 22:02
No, actually i dont think i have. By "looping" do you mean bypassing? Would that reset the cpu to set readiness?

kruat
November 26th, 2016, 22:04
And I can run the output test, and know my air pump works, the new check valve works, and i think my combi valves are fine as well. Prior to me breaking the check vavle, i had no CELs, and all 0 on my readiness.

lswing
November 26th, 2016, 22:14
Use this to search in google..."site:rs6.com loop SAI CEL"...something like that. Here's a link, Bigglez has some better in depth threads on it...

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32331-SAI-Removal-and-coding-out

kruat
November 26th, 2016, 22:33
Okay, thanks for the link. I read through that, and while it makes sense, im not trying to bypass the SAI. I mean, i guess, if it makes me pass readiness, then at this point i dont care.

If i were to have AMD recode my ECU, to delete the SAI, would i be all 0s on my readiness as well? Anyone have experience in that?

SteveKen
November 26th, 2016, 22:42
I probably have a spare N112 if you need one.

PM me.

kruat
November 26th, 2016, 22:50
Thank you, but i do not think i do. Im 90% sure every component, down to even vacuum lines, are working correctly in the SAI system. I just cant seem to get the ecu to recognize that i already fixed the N112.

Back when i worked at audi, everytime i would replace a major component, id have to go into VAS and run basic settings, aka, basically tell the CPU that the broken component was fixed.

That is what seems to be the problem, i cant get VAGCOM to tell the ECU its been fixed, and to recheck readiness.

nubcake
November 27th, 2016, 19:20
Are you running stock ECU software or it's some kind of a tune?
If it's the latter, it might have been done improperly.

Usually just clearing DTCs is enough to "let ECU know that the problem was fixed".

kruat
November 27th, 2016, 20:14
No im on stock tune. But am now thinking about getting a tune, and just coding the sai system out, if I can get some conformation readiness will be all 0s.

nubcake
November 27th, 2016, 22:13
There's more to in than "one" or "zero". Basically, there are 2 flags for each system:
ready/not ready and supported/unsupported. VCDS only shows the "ready" ones. But if the system is set to "unsupported", it will always report it as "ready". But this will not always automatically mean that you'll pass emissions, as some systems just have to be "supported". I didn't discover this on my own (never had any need to dig deep enough), that's what I read at nefmoto forum.

Long story short: setting SAI ready flag in the software is not that hard, but other systems might need more attention.

Aronis
November 27th, 2016, 23:47
When is the RS6 (or any car) old enough to not need to pass emissions inspection? 25 years?

Mike