PDA

View Full Version : How to get turbo to throw code??

makaveli42
November 9th, 2016, 19:43
Okay, so it's been over a month since my passanger turbo locked up. Shop confirmed it's the turbo...called the warranty company. Ur long story short.....they won't pay for anything or send someone out to look at it without it throwing a code?!?!? They've tried everything and can't get a turbo code to throw? Any ideas? They said to drive until the turbo starts smoking lol. Don't really feel comfortable doing that. They've tried removing boost pipes but those only throw boost leak codes. Even though the shop can see and verify the passenger turbo won't spin! Please help? There's gotta be someway to get a turbo code....I don't even know what code I'm looking for?

mrdave
November 9th, 2016, 20:10
It's still driveable? Can you get a code showing actual MAP not equal to requested MAP? Or something along those lines? That would at least point to a defective turbo.

edit: something like this: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16683/P0299/000665

makaveli42
November 9th, 2016, 20:16
It's still driveable? Can you get a code showing actual MAP not equal to requested MAP? Or something along those lines? That would at least point to a defective turbo.

edit: something like this: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16683/P0299/000665

Yes it's drivable. The shop says as long as it doesn't like turbo doesn't break apart I should be fine driving it until it either smokes or throws a code. Just really annoying...never had an issue with the warranty company before until now. Guess it's because it's an engine pull lol

Aronis
November 9th, 2016, 23:21
Interesting! If it is no longer spinning then I doubt parts would break off. Does it ideal rough?

Mike

makaveli42
November 10th, 2016, 01:00
Interesting! If it is no longer spinning then I doubt parts would break off. Does it ideal rough?

Mike
Ideals fine...drives fine just extremely underpowered and the exhaust note sounds like crap. I'm straight piped and usually sound like a turbo diesel because all you hear throughout all RPMs is the turbos spool....not I just sound like an old farm truck with no mufflers lol

Bigglezworth
November 10th, 2016, 02:11
Are you not throwing an EGT code? I experienced a spike in EGT's which was initially attributed to a bad sensor (because we have had experience that the solder joints fail), and instead it was a sign of impending loom for the turbo... After it's seized through, you will not get a code as there is still air moving through it and even through there are two MAF's, it all eventually leads up to a common collection point prior to passing through the throttle body.

makaveli42
November 10th, 2016, 13:43
Are you not throwing an EGT code? I experienced a spike in EGT's which was initially attributed to a bad sensor (because we have had experience that the solder joints fail), and instead it was a sign of impending loom for the turbo... After it's seized through, you will not get a code as there is still air moving through it and even through there are two MAF's, it all eventually leads up to a common collection point prior to passing through the throttle body.

Good point about the it moving still...i go to pick it up from the shop Monday. I will be asking what exact code they are looking for and show them this thread to see if it will help.

nubcake
November 10th, 2016, 19:58
There's no "turbo dead" code.
You can get "boost deviation" at best, but even that is unlikely. They're bullshitting you.
If they absolutely want some kind of DTC - I can make you a binary that will rain them with DTCs. Just find out what exactly they want.

Aronis
November 10th, 2016, 20:20
FYI, if your ac compressor leaks, there is no code!

If your DRC fails, there is no code.

If your control arms fail, there is no code.

If your power steering rack leaks/fails, there is no code.

If you radiator leaks, no code. Power Window motor, no code. Switch on door lock that tells the car the door is open breaks, no code. Windshield wiper motor fails, no code. etc etc etc Feel free to add to the list of covered items that don't throw a code!

Tell your insurance adjuster to get his head out of his .......

Mike

makaveli42
November 11th, 2016, 02:02
They replaced the alternator no questions asked when it went out.....oil pan leak no problem. The shop quoted them $8000 for new turbos and installation and all. I'm assuming the price scared them or something. I might call the warranty company myself after I get the car back and talk to the shop. It's annoying driving a 1994 Ibtegra without power steering or heat lol. Really want the Audi fixed and running strong again....98hp Acura just doesn't cut it lol

Bigglezworth
November 11th, 2016, 03:20
It's annoying driving a 1994 Ibtegra without power steering or heat lol. Really want the Audi fixed and running strong again....98hp Acura just doesn't cut it lolTime to consider purchasing a second one so that you can swap back and forth while you perform repairs.... lol

Aronis
November 11th, 2016, 14:06
The shop quoted them $8000 for new turbos and installation and all.

That is *W$)(&%(*W&*$&R bull()*&($)*&(*%$, these MF dealers take the very low ball money from the Insurance, but if you were paying they'd F)(*&&() you ever which way from Sunday, and it would $20,000. My insurance paid $3500 for a new torque converter several years ago, involved an engine pull, etc. The same shop quoted me $4500 TO START on the engine pull to find the oil leak. Then the sky's the limit after that.

Mike