PDA

View Full Version : preferred coil overs

RS6 rick
November 4th, 2016, 18:27
Hello to all..........What's the preferred coil over set up and why? Seems to be a number of them. What's involved with the swap. Thanks for any and all help. Be safe.

DHall1
November 4th, 2016, 22:34
Kw V3

best

hahnmgh63
November 4th, 2016, 22:58
KW V3 best but close to the most expensive. Worth it though.

Aronis
November 5th, 2016, 18:33
KW V3....$2800...

The Ohlin Coil overs were $6000 or more if I recall.....

lswing
November 5th, 2016, 19:26
Kw V3

best

Whatever happened to those $1,200 HR's?

OP, to keep it simple many of us have just put in Koni struts with stock springs...height is a bit lower than stock, not as firm as coilovers which is nice.

mgmarsh39
November 5th, 2016, 20:41
I'm using the H&Rs with no issues. Ride is great.

kismetcapitan
November 5th, 2016, 22:43

OP, to keep it simple many of us have just put in Koni struts with stock springs...height is a bit lower than stock, not as firm as coilovers which is nice.

I did the Koni struts and H&R springs; I was in grad school at the time and on a budget. What I went with, plus Hotchkis anti-roll bars, is one hell of a setup - the car doesn't roll at all. It will also knock your teeth fillings out on any kind of bump, railroad tracks will smack the bejeezus out of the car, and it's so low that you have to develop a fear of speedbumps and anything else that isn't flat. It looks cool but I'm glad I hung onto the stock springs; if I keep my car, which is looking more and more likely as I'm not coming across any good substitutes that I'm in love with, I'm switching back to the stock springs. Apparently the drop is 3/4" from stock with the Koni/stock spring setup. the 1.4" drop up front with the H&R springs is too much.

nene
November 5th, 2016, 23:20
Add another vote for KW v3.

hahnmgh63
November 6th, 2016, 06:05
Ohlins were a joke for a street car. I have a friend that paid about $4K for them. Needed to be rebuilt every 2yrs and needed the rebuild, no longer available for the RS6. He replaced them with KW V3's.

mrdave
November 6th, 2016, 14:11

Still around. H&R part# 29482-2. I'm planning on going with those once my DRC decides to fail.

HPO-DK
November 6th, 2016, 14:50
I am using Bilstein B14 and since it's my first coil i dont have any to compare with,there is a B16 also fully adjustible

Aronis
November 6th, 2016, 15:16
Come on the stock DRC is sooooooooo greatttttttt....get the Mark Three setup. Audi has recalled the Mark Two setup and finally got it right. They are replacing the DRC for free with 100,000 warrantee on the new Mark Three setup. It comes with a mechanic to live in your house to make sure it's at spec.

:)

Mike

PS LOL at people who order new RS7 and TTRS with DRC....LOL>.....dumb asses....

fbatwork
November 7th, 2016, 00:52
I have Bilstein PSS9's and like them - Haven't had an opportunity to ride in one with the KW's. Never did do anything with the my DRC's that I pulled out - kept them until I know I was happy with the PSS9 setup. If someone finds themselves in a no warranty situation PM me...

Bigglezworth
November 7th, 2016, 03:04
I did the Koni struts and H&R springs; I was in grad school at the time and on a budget. What I went with, plus Hotchkis anti-roll bars, is one hell of a setup - the car doesn't roll at all. It will also knock your teeth fillings out on any kind of bump, railroad tracks will smack the bejeezus out of the car, and it's so low that you have to develop a fear of speedbumps and anything else that isn't flat. It looks cool but I'm glad I hung onto the stock springs; if I keep my car, which is looking more and more likely as I'm not coming across any good substitutes that I'm in love with, I'm switching back to the stock springs. Apparently the drop is 3/4" from stock with the Koni/stock spring setup. the 1.4" drop up front with the H&R springs is too much.

The H&R springs are GARBAGE! They are not suited to the front end weight on this car. After trying out a set of ST's (KS V1 in disguise) and so disappointed in those, I then tried the exact same set-up you note above and although initially impressed, ended up at the opposite end of the spectrum and ubber disappointed. Springs sagged so much I eventually had to pull them as they toasted a set of PSS's in one season. I put the OEM springs back with the Koni yellow sports on the lowest setting and it's great. My other car has OEM DRC and I still love it. The flexibility of hard and soft.

You can see from this photo on just how low they ended up sagging in the long run. Imagine having the car loaded with friends/family and going over dipps and the like. Not fun...

The reason for the failure is obvious when you compare them side by side. The H&R's have skinnier coils and simply don't hold up well to prolonged comprression/weignt. H&R = 15.65 OEM = 17.10

I have also had a set of PSS9's on the one ride and they were nice. I've ridden in a car with the KW V3's, and they were nice - but not fantastic....

lswing
November 7th, 2016, 12:18
^^^^^Excellent feedback^^^^

RS6 rick
November 8th, 2016, 19:40
Thanks so much to all who replied. Be safe.

kismetcapitan
November 9th, 2016, 05:38
The H&R springs are GARBAGE! They are not suited to the front end weight on this car. After trying out a set of ST's (KS V1 in disguise) and so disappointed in those, I then tried the exact same set-up you note above and although initially impressed, ended up at the opposite end of the spectrum and ubber disappointed. Springs sagged so much I eventually had to pull them as they toasted a set of PSS's in one season. I put the OEM springs back with the Koni yellow sports on the lowest setting and it's great. My other car has OEM DRC and I still love it. The flexibility of hard and soft.

You can see from this photo on just how low they ended up sagging in the long run. Imagine having the car loaded with friends/family and going over dipps and the like. Not fun...

The reason for the failure is obvious when you compare them side by side. The H&R's have skinnier coils and simply don't hold up well to prolonged comprression/weignt. H&R = 15.65 OEM = 17.10

I have also had a set of PSS9's on the one ride and they were nice. I've ridden in a car with the KW V3's, and they were nice - but not fantastic....

My front is drooping even worse. I'm going to put the stock springs back in, no question about it. I don't imagine it'll be plush by any means, what with my Konis set to stiffest rebound and the mammoth Hotchkis bars, but the only time I'm happy with the H&R springs is when I'm parked, standing next to the car. Looks good. Rides like shit.

Bigglezworth
November 10th, 2016, 02:29
My front is drooping even worse. I'm going to put the stock springs back in, no question about it. I don't imagine it'll be plush by any means, what with my Konis set to stiffest rebound and the mammoth Hotchkis bars, but the only time I'm happy with the H&R springs is when I'm parked, standing next to the car. Looks good. Rides like shit.
OEM springs and soft setting rides just fine. You will have pronounced bounce and jar chattering ride if you leave them cranked up to high and OEM springs.