PDA

View Full Version : Are you running Auxiliary Coolers? Is your car overheating? Where are you located? :)

sempaipaul
September 28th, 2016, 01:51
Hey guys.

Debating on whether or not I should delete my side mounted auxiliary coolers. I have the whole car apart and engine out doing new turbos, all timing belt and accessories, new engine and tranny mounts, Silly Rabbit Motorsports intercoolers, and a few other things.

I am debating now whether or not I should remove my side mount coolers which sit right on the intercoolers.

I know the added benefit of less things to break and leak --however, being in the DC/MD/VA area we do get some summer days that are 100+ degrees. That makes me slightly alarmed. I would, however also conduc

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul

Bigglezworth
September 28th, 2016, 02:13
I deleted mine 7 years ago..... Never once had a problem with overheating. We get 35degC here in the summer and as high as 40'C on holiday's west of here. Still not a problem whatsoever.

nene
September 28th, 2016, 02:31
Mine been out 3+ years. New England. No issues.

mgmarsh39
September 28th, 2016, 02:34
I live in TX and opted to keep mine on when installing the SRM intercoolers. You'll have to "customize" your ducts though to get the bumper to fit.

sempaipaul
October 6th, 2016, 03:31
Understood.

Anyone else, guys?

I really want to get the opinion of as many as possible. The engine will be going back in next week and I need to make a decision on this!

Thanks,
Paul

lswing
October 6th, 2016, 03:34
Pulled mine years ago, never an issue. I have worried that in hot climates the increased coolant temp could add to wear and tear.

lswing
October 6th, 2016, 03:38
Pulled mine years ago, never an issue. I have worried that in hot climates the increased coolant temp could add to wear and tear.

I would leave them in unless you're tuned and going for maximum power by letting the intercoolers breath...but drive easy in the summer.

s8prtotype
October 7th, 2016, 03:37
Deleted with no issues, got the heat off those intercoolers!

fukinavit
October 9th, 2016, 12:59
Deleted with no issues, got the heat off those intercoolers!

This, delete and forget.

midwest1275
October 10th, 2016, 01:05
I just finished a big refresh on mine and decided to keep them in. With the engine/tranny out, it was relatively cheap just to throw 2 new ones in (A little under $500 shipped/new for both radiators). Both were just starting to leak, at 62k. I figure with this car being so prone to overheating and losing power, any help cooling it down is beneficial. Also, I plan on a few track days in the desert (90-100 degrees typically) and Los Angeles has been extremely hot, so I figure the extra cooling would be important. It appears you can delete them and not suffer severe damage, but I am speculating that there is a regular loss of power with more heat soak. Plus, I've got a REVO tune and since they tend to run lean, more engine heat is definitely happening. Just my 2 cents.

DHall1
October 10th, 2016, 03:13
The RS6 is not prone to overheating. The cooling system is just about bulletproof

the RS6 does suffer from heat soak and higher intake air temps. As do many other turbo and supercharged platforms

I just finished a big refresh on mine and decided to keep them in. With the engine/tranny out, it was relatively cheap just to throw 2 new ones in (A little under $500 shipped/new for both radiators). Both were just starting to leak, at 62k. I figure with this car being so prone to overheating and losing power, any help cooling it down is beneficial. Also, I plan on a few track days in the desert (90-100 degrees typically) and Los Angeles has been extremely hot, so I figure the extra cooling would be important. It appears you can delete them and not suffer severe damage, but I am speculating that there is a regular loss of power with more heat soak. Plus, I've got a REVO tune and since they tend to run lean, more engine heat is definitely happening. Just my 2 cents.

sempaipaul
October 10th, 2016, 05:11
The RS6 is not prone to overheating. The cooling system is just about bulletproof

the RS6 does suffer from heat soak and higher intake air temps. As do many other turbo and supercharged platforms

Have you deleted these units on any of your RS6's?

I am looking at the following thread (Post #69 particularly) which identifies the amount of items to be removed. It would be great to get a confirmation from someone on whether these are all items that they removed as well.

Thanks,
Paul

DHall1
October 10th, 2016, 06:18
I bypass 8 months of the year.

The other 4 months are over 100 degrees here

Fastguy
October 11th, 2016, 01:13
Chicago area. Gets plenty warm in the summer. To top it off bumper to bumper traffic. If that doesn't stress the cooling system, I don't know what does. Deleted all the secondary cooler stuff and never had an issue.

lswing
October 11th, 2016, 13:39

If you've got RossTech VCDS and are confident making some changes I've got extra software to fix the Revo fueling...PM if interested.

hahnmgh63
October 11th, 2016, 22:52
midwest1275, definitely hit lswing up for the software to tune your Revo as it is good for the longevity of your motor and with the tune a little richer it will probably put out a little more power (less timing being pulled from the knock sensors).

midwest1275
October 12th, 2016, 00:42
thanks for the offer, i'll reach out tonight.