PDA

View Full Version : Service Position Question

cruzanrs6
September 8th, 2016, 18:28
So the time has come for me to tackle R&R the power steering pump. I've read up on the Bentley's manual as well as some Youtube's of the Bentleys' (for the standard C5 - A6). Is there anything to note on the RS6 that is not covered ? I think I'm going to want to remove the entire front end - radiator/fans, pumper support, cover etc to be bale to get full access to the pump and hoses.

TIA

mdegracia
September 8th, 2016, 19:24
When tightening the large banjo bolt, be sure to NOT rotate the fitting and cause the hose to touch the exhaust manifold.

Aronis
September 8th, 2016, 19:57
When tightening the large banjo bolt, be sure to NOT rotate the fitting and cause the hose to touch the exhaust manifold.

you sound like you may have experienced this nice complication! LOL....

bethridg
September 8th, 2016, 21:02
Removing the entire front core support is optimum for access but service position will give you enough room without having to evac the a/c, disconnect lower coolant crossover pipe, disconnect in-tank & front mount trans cooler lines and disconnect power steering cooler. And a bunch of other things that I probably forgot. All of which have to be refilled afterwards.

Remove bumper:

Raise and support front-end
Remove front wheels
Drop lower belly pan
Remove inner fender liners
Remove 3x nuts on each side holding bumper to fender
Gently pop lower bumper skin from fender bracket
Remove 2x bumper bolts accessed through intercooler duct
Support bumper and disconnect right/left horns, right/left fog lights and headlight sprayer supply line
Remove bumper cover and set aside

Service position:

unplug 3x large fan wire harness connectors next to power steering reservoir
disconnect radiator (possibly upper hose only)
disconnect right & left hoses from upper coolant crossover pipe
remove core support bolts (top and sides) and rest on floor jack or similar
remove bumper support brackets
disconnect hood release cable
lean core support as far forward as possible and secure it with wire or twine.

Refer to this thread for some pictures

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31975-Timing-Belt-DIY

Power steering pump:

Disconnect diverter valve hoses from intake y-pipe
Disconnect upper intercooler hoses from intake y-pipe or intercoolers themselves
Disconnect connector at top of intake y-pipe
Remove 2x allen bolts holding intake y-pipe to throttle body and 2x 10mm nuts under each side of y-pipe
Remove accessory serpentine belt
Remove power steering pump pulley
Disconnect power steering line banjo bolts from pump
Drain power steering pump reservoir
Remove 2x bolts securing the pump to the bracket

I remember dropping the a/c compressor for some reason but believe that was completely unnecessary.

Reverse to install.

Fill reservoir then turn wheel lock to lock a few times while running to purge air from system, refill reservoir as necessary.

I run Pentosin 8403107 CHF 202 Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid, 1 Liter. Think I ordered 2 liters but only ended up using one and keep the other on the shelf just in case.

Good luck!

mdegracia
September 8th, 2016, 21:22
Yup! I was not happy.

Bigglezworth
September 8th, 2016, 23:33
I have personally been able to R&R the pump without having to disconnect any of the lines for the front clip.

cruzanrs6
September 9th, 2016, 01:00
But you did have to place it into service position and lean the "core" forward as detailed above - right ?

Bigglezworth
September 9th, 2016, 05:35
But you did have to place it into service position and lean the "core" forward as detailed above - right ?Correct. Service position doesn't require removal of all the oil/coolant lines/hoses. Only the disconnection of the radiator hoses.

Aronis
September 9th, 2016, 17:18
I could not upload as a pdf for some reason.