PDA

View Full Version : Eurocharged Tune

paperchase
August 5th, 2016, 07:20
I just downloaded the Eurocharged Tune for my 2003 RS6. Will write a more comprehensive review later, but I have a few questions. The tune came by email which stated: "Tune attached!

If you could send in the ECU at some point, I could do more. This SW version is very old and needs to be updated on the bench." What do folks make of this? My second question is whether anyone has experienced the ESP triangle/circle light coming on after a tune at triple digit speeds under hard acceleration? I went for a late night highway drive and this happened twice. I've never seen this light appear on my dash in my first few months of ownership. Thanks!

nubcake
August 5th, 2016, 14:04
ME7.1.1 ECU (the one in RS6) can be flashed with whatever file you wish over the OBD. I see absolutely no reason for sending it to be flashed on the bench.
ESP light - could be your trans slipping and ECU erroneously picking that up as wheel spin.

paperchase
August 5th, 2016, 14:27
ME7.1.1 ECU (the one in RS6) can be flashed with whatever file you wish over the OBD. I see absolutely no reason for sending it to be flashed on the bench.
ESP light - could be your trans slipping and ECU erroneously picking that up as wheel spin.

Thanks. That is useful information. With respect to ECU bench flashing, could it be that the MYGenius software that interfaces with the handheld is old and does not provide as much detail as could be extracted by having the ECU in hand?

As for results -- strictly based on test drive, no dyno or any other objective criteria to support -- the car is noticeable quicker to 90ish but seems less powerful, or rather picks up speed slower, thereafter. On kickdown, RPMs will push into redline 6500-7000rpm before switching gears. Overall, not too earth shattering, but as some have suggested I may have some innocuous areas of power loss preventing me from taking full advantage of a tune.

One thing about my car, and I say my car because I really don't have a reference point -- is that it doesn't seem to launch particularly well. The throttle is fairly touchy when being feathered like in a garage at less than 10mph, but when fully depressed from a standstill the takeoff seems delayed. Certainly there's not enough power being placed on the ground to ever get tire spin. All of the foregoing is fairly consistent with my sentiments expressed in a separate thread "Not as fast as I thought."

If anyone in the Philly area has a well-sorted tuned RS6, I'd love to meet up for comparison. My local mechanic drives one but is in the middle of replacing the auto trans which is odd considering he's not a fan of mods. I'm also interested in references for Audi mechanics in the area. The guy who has repaired all my cars over the last 20 years is in Maryland and since moving I'll only make that trip is there's enough work to warrant it. He favors Audi's over all other makes so it's a pleasure talking shop and paying for repairs when dealing with a true enthusiast and friend. In fact, if you are in the DC/MD area, check out Road & Track Motorsports. Ask for Sunny.

nubcake
August 5th, 2016, 14:45
Thanks. That is useful information. With respect to ECU bench flashing, could it be that the MYGenius software that interfaces with the handheld is old and does not provide as much detail as could be extracted by having the ECU in hand?

Could be the case, yes. Still, it's way easier to get a proper flashing tool for ME7 than ship ECU back & forth.
There are at least two "easy to get/easy to use" options: first one is a knockoff MPPS cable (can be bought for ~10 bucks on ebay).
Second one is a generic FTDI cable (or VCDS if you own one already) with Nefmoto software, more info here: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6537.0

B727
August 5th, 2016, 21:31
You get the flashing ESP light when (among other things) MAF readings are above the expected range. It's common to have to change the error-tripping table, KFMLDMX if I recall. (I had to change this table with my 2.7T to get rid of the flashing ESP light when I went to Frankenturbos.)

lswing
August 6th, 2016, 02:29

I agree on the trans slip. Both of mine that failed had similar symptoms, I knew the wheels were not spinning, figured it was trans slip causing improper input output readings, another thing that's good to log. Could be other things too...

paperchase
August 7th, 2016, 06:53
I just downloaded the Eurocharged Tune for my 2003 RS6. Will write a more comprehensive review later, but I have a few questions. The tune came by email which stated: "Tune attached!

If you could send in the ECU at some point, I could do more. This SW version is very old and needs to be updated on the bench." What do folks make of this? My second question is whether anyone has experienced the ESP triangle/circle light coming on after a tune at triple digit speeds under hard acceleration? I went for a late night highway drive and this happened twice. I've never seen this light appear on my dash in my first few months of ownership. Thanks!

Appreciate the input so far. So, I asked the folks at Eurocharged what more could they do with me sending my ECU to them. The response, in relevant part, was:

"We would update the ECU with OEM Audi software. There would be no need to roll it back as it is Audi approved."

I'm confused. Can anyone shed light on this?

nubcake
August 7th, 2016, 10:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pj5E7ReIp8

...or at least that's what the quoted part looks like to me. :)
Roll back from what? "Approved" how? Are they talking about restoring it to stock or what? Makes totally no sense.

MORS6
August 8th, 2016, 03:43
My second question is whether anyone has experienced the ESP triangle/circle light coming on

I experienced the ESP triangle/circle light coming on. You found your squealing geese and your lack of performance. You have a boost leak somewhere. Finally blew the hose completely apart which made it easy to locate.
All I had was the eurocharged stage one tune and MTM transmission tune. My mechanic disabled the traction control and abs along with the warning lights - quite by accident - but I didn't mind. It had no problem putting itself sideways with a trail of rubber on launch.

SteveKen
August 8th, 2016, 14:36
Appreciate the input so far. So, I asked the folks at Eurocharged what more could they do with me sending my ECU to them. The response, in relevant part, was:

"We would update the ECU with OEM Audi software. There would be no need to roll it back as it is Audi approved."

I'm confused. Can anyone shed light on this?

This all depends on how and what is being written VIA whatever method you are using to upload the tune. I'm not at all familiar with MYGenius or what cable it uses, as I've only used Galetto and KWP2K hardware/cables to mostly bench flash.

Some tunes only write portions of the ECU and leave the remaining ones.

Later revisions of the RS6 ECU have 'tuner protection' that will throw the car into limp mode after a certain period of time or miles if the boost maps have been altered.

The only guess I can make is that Eurocharged thinks that your ECU isn't exact revision to the one that was used to write their code and the entire EEPROM needs to be re-written and not just a portion of it.

nubcake
August 8th, 2016, 16:09
[snip]Eurocharged thinks that your ECU isn't exact revision to the one that was used to write their code and the entire EEPROM needs to be re-written and not just a portion of it.

Even if that's the case, there are easier methods (see above) to re-write the flash, than sending the ECU back and forth.