PDA

View Full Version : Not as fast as I thought

paperchase
July 21st, 2016, 00:23
I love my 03 RS6. I love that it's rare. I love the handling and build quality. I love the exhaust note and the list goes on; but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the power. I don't expect it to be as fast as my Mercedes CL600 with an ECU that pushes 650hp, but the way I was dusted from a standstill by a cls550 was painful to experience. My RS6 is stock with almost 80K and has no issues that I know of. I understand that the cls550 does 0-60 in 4.2ish but based on the specs it should have been a closer race. Granted I had a passenger and a trunk full of old LPs I was moving, but still it was no contest whatsoever. My question is whether there is anything that could be contributing to a significant power loss that I might look into. Maybe a blow off/diverter valve or something of that sort. My other question is how profound an increase in power (real world power like 0-60 times) would an ECU bring. The chip in my CL600 completely transformed the car without a doubt to the tune of more than 100 hp although that tranny can handle the load. At the end of the day, I didn't by the RS6 to drag race, but I'm used to being among the faster cars on the road and, in my untrained opinion, the RS6 does not live up to the hype of being superfast. Again, I still love the car and am happy in all other respects aside from off-the-line acceleration.

ttboost
July 21st, 2016, 00:28
Yeah, I was also underwhelmed by the twin turbo V8's lack of oomph. The 56 speed conversion helped, but not enough, so I bailed. A ECU tune makes a huge difference. Your enemy is heat soak as well. Only fix for that is Meth or don't drive it until cooler weather.

makaveli42
July 21st, 2016, 00:29
You're 100% stock? A good tune will change the car like you wouldn't believe. I thought my RS6 was quick...then got a tune.. HUGE difference. I bet a decent tune nets 60-75hp to the wheels.

paperchase
July 21st, 2016, 00:46
ttboost, when you say you bailed, does that mean you sold it?

makaveli42, yes 100% stock.

lswing
July 21st, 2016, 01:13
ttboost, when you say you bailed, does that mean you sold it?

makaveli42, yes 100% stock.

You realize stock is slow as sh!t:) I'm 75hp and 125tq above stock level, and it's decent...well, fairly fast. You need w/m for heat soak, good gas, good temps, and also every leak/hose/detail buttoned up to get full potential.

Almost forgot, add water or snow to the drag race and see how they do...

paperchase
July 21st, 2016, 01:30
Sounds like the stars were aligned when automotive publications were citing 4.2 and 4.3 second 0-60 times for our RS6. Do you think you post those times with the mods listed in your signature line?

By the way, I don't leak any fluids on the ground or burn any oil. I could have the hoses checked, but my mechanic drives the same car and thinks mine is an excellent example. I'm willing to try the 034 chip but with the cost of maintenance, I was expecting more upside than exclusivity. Can't justify a manual conversion given the overall operating costs and relative performance gains. My friend has a stock 2013 A8 and we pull pretty even.

Maybe I'm just overreacting to being walked on by a white cls550 and a middle-aged male driver playing "so you fancy huh". smh

Aronis
July 21st, 2016, 01:37
? my car is stock and is fast! Why all the RS6 bashing?

At 4300 pounds it's heavy.....add some LP's to the trunk??? (get an iPod man, save lots of weight for music) and eject that passenger next time.

:)

I also drove a 2013 A8 4.0 TT for 3 years and I found the RS6 about even with it, despite the better transmission and more Hp in the A8 (listed at 420, but it was more like 460 if not more...)

Mike

paperchase
July 21st, 2016, 01:53
? my car is stock and is fast! Why all the RS6 bashing?

At 4300 pounds it's heavy.....add some LP's to the trunk??? (get an iPod man, save lots of weight for music) and eject that passenger next time.

:)

I also drove a 2013 A8 4.0 TT for 3 years and I found the RS6 about even with it, despite the better transmission and more Hp in the A8 (listed at 420, but it was more like 460 if not more...)

Mike

Don't mean to bash. I'm a recent buyer and I've wanted this car for about 10 years. One by one, I've had the chance to own many of the cars I once coveted but could not afford. At very high speeds the RS6 is very impressive and rock solid -- especially in a straight line. I'm just not believing the low 4 sec 0-60 times I read about that triggered this infantile-wantism.

July 21st, 2016, 02:48
On any given day......CLS 550 or CL600 on a wet day...see ya...bye....ricer with a big turbo....yea, he'll own your CL600.....but if I can only have ONE car....and....I only have the space for ONE car....yea, this is the one I chose....

If it gets heat soaked, yea it's a dog.....it can be REAL slow....it all depends n the mission....

mrdave
July 21st, 2016, 03:12
As mentioned above temperatures make a yuuuge difference with this car. On a cool evening ( < 60' or so) it feels like a different car. When it's cold out ( < 40'), holy balls is it fast. I'm also 100% stock and I haven't driven one with W/M but I suspect that would help a lot when it's warmer. Once I have piles of cash laying around my plan is 6sp + ECU tune + W/M.

DHall1
July 21st, 2016, 03:31
My "beater" RS6 was 12.60/113 in warm temps. 1.90 60ft times

All stock...stage 1 tune

115k miles

I didnt have time to tweek a few things but 12.20s were in the cards easy.

No cls550 on this planet makes a mess of my RS6s.

Co-worker w 2011 Grandsport vette w/mods pushing 470+hp has seen nothing but 13yr old RS6 tail lights at the track. Even the track announcer told him to give up. " you're never going to beat that Audi"

Learn to service your car to ensure its running at proper levels and install the proper stage 1 tune. These are 13yr old cars and old school tech. Understand the platform or pay someone that knows how to service the car to keep it in tune.

Done

DHall1
July 21st, 2016, 06:43
I just looked up 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of the cls550 with the twin turbo.

Its not even in the same zip code.

Get your car running right.....not as fast as you thought does not apply here.

Cmnair
July 21st, 2016, 11:56
I just looked up 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of the cls550 with the twin turbo.

Its not even in the same zip code.

Get your car running right.....not as fast as you thought does not apply here.

How does your 13 550i compare to the RS6? My wife's stock 16 550i xdrive is pretty quick and is faster than a stock RS6.

hahnmgh63
July 21st, 2016, 13:40
Sounds like engine not running quite right or tranny slipping. I'd guess there is a high percentage of cars w/ 50~100K that have trannies slipping plus boost leaks (I'd bet almost every RS6 with over 50K has leaking Intercoolers and that usually doesn't throw a code).

RS Sick
July 21st, 2016, 13:44
What year CLS? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong car here.

2012 CLS 550 Car and Driver review "The power is down from that of the CL—402 hp versus 429—as is torque, from 516 lb-ft to 443. These are still 20 more hp and 52 more lb-ft than the last-gen CLS550 offered, and the 4.7-liter goes like the clappers. Hitting 60 mph requires 4.2 seconds and the quarter passes in 12.8 at 112 mph."

seems as quick as a stock RS6

paperchase
July 21st, 2016, 15:03

2012 CLS 550 Car and Driver review "The power is down from that of the CL—402 hp versus 429—as is torque, from 516 lb-ft to 443. These are still 20 more hp and 52 more lb-ft than the last-gen CLS550 offered, and the 4.7-liter goes like the clappers. Hitting 60 mph requires 4.2 seconds and the quarter passes in 12.8 at 112 mph."

Yes, that's the one.

nubcake
July 21st, 2016, 16:01
Yes, that's the one.

Stock RS6 should be a tiny bit slower to 60, but faster in the quarter.

paperchase
July 21st, 2016, 16:36
Sounds like engine not running quite right or tranny slipping. I'd guess there is a high percentage of cars w/ 50~100K that have trannies slipping plus boost leaks (I'd bet almost every RS6 with over 50K has leaking Intercoolers and that usually doesn't throw a code).

My tranny does not slip at all. I did get a torque converter stuck position code a few months ago that went away without resetting. Can't comment on boost leaks, but I do know what a 4.2 0-60 feels like. Maybe there's heat soak, leaking intercoolers and a plethora of other small issues that have yet to be identified. It honestly feels like a 5 sec car right now. I'm willing to do an ECU upgrade -- I already run 93 octane without exception in all my cars. I'm willing to try w/m perhaps thereafter. I'm willing to do whatever maintenance is necessary to restore to spec. I'm not willing to heavily modify the car, although I'm impressed with the 6 speed conversions and other mods I've read about in this informative forum. Turn key is important to me and I appreciate the limitation in this platform, this transmission and just by virtue of being all-wheel drive. I signed up for this. I understood the risks. I may have miscalculated the upside; but that is yet to be determined.

This is a dedicated group of enthusiasts here and I'm proud to join the fray. If anyone is in the Philadelphia area don't hesitate to reach out. I have a nagging suspension problem on drivers front where there is ridiculous creaking over bumps and turns after the car is driven or idles for about 20 minutes. That time used to be 35 minutes. I'm assuming control arm but don't know. Wait, I'm hijacking my own thread.

mrdave
July 21st, 2016, 17:07
I have a nagging suspension problem on drivers front where there is ridiculous creaking over bumps and turns after

Almost certainly upper control arms.

lswing
July 21st, 2016, 17:18
Sounds like the stars were aligned when automotive publications were citing 4.2 and 4.3 second 0-60 times for our RS6. Do you think you post those times with the mods listed in your signature line?

~4.4 0-60 with slow takeoff...10 second 0-100. Car just had intercoolers buttoned up...notice it's 50 degrees out though...50 more hp/tq! Heatsoak is a killer...water meth helps a ton.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i6LZyxBtUjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DHall1
July 21st, 2016, 18:02
Its fast for sure. Cant really say over a stock RS6 because none of mine are stock

Its comfortable and fast for my hwy commute. The driving dynamics do not compare to the RS6

I dont want to say its my beater but it is. Lol

Btw....if you keep your RS6 and wish to update the performance....remove that apr chip for a better tune. I wish your car were closer to me. I would be tempted.

How does your 13 550i compare to the RS6? My wife's stock 16 550i xdrive is pretty quick and is faster than a stock RS6.

DHall1
July 21st, 2016, 18:08
I have seen times quoted all over the map for the 12-15 cls550

I doubt the joe blow at the stoplight can hit a 4.2 12.80

Even if he could....13 yr old tail lights is all he would see of my cars.

Cmnair
July 22nd, 2016, 00:03
Btw....if you keep your RS6 and wish to update the performance....remove that apr chip for a better tune. I wish your car were closer to me. I would be tempted.

yeah looks like I am keeping it...car is perfect now and I may as well enjoy it :) I got a set of genuine Euro RS6 wheels (will powder coat Titan Grey) which which go on the car in the winter. What other tune would you suggest? I thought APR was one of the better ones. I really don't have issues with the tune. I just don't want to beat on the car...afraid something will break.

Cmnair
July 22nd, 2016, 00:04

I know you said quick since stock RS6 quarter mile time is supposed to be 12.6 ish so your statement is accurate..however, no stock RS6 is trapping 112 in the quarter :)

RS Sick
July 22nd, 2016, 01:17
OP seemed surprised by the CLS550, but vs. a bone stock RS it's seems like a formidable opponent.

Sorted, tuned, sportec vented, aces iv running RS would walk it in real world conditions.

ZCD2.7T
July 22nd, 2016, 13:53
I guess it depends what your expectations are. Stock RS6s run very high 12 second quarter-mile times in most cases. Stock CLS 550 is at least as quick if not quicker and certainly 5+ mph faster in the quarter mile.

C5 RS6 is also now 13 years old, so its performance isn't as impressive when compared to newer cars.

Urbo
July 22nd, 2016, 19:56
My tranny does not slip at all. I did get a torque converter stuck position code a few months ago that went away without resetting. .

Is this an original torque converter? Don't know what stuck position means, and the torque converter is kinda important on the launch ... and a weak point. Might be worth having a pro check it out.

lswing
July 22nd, 2016, 20:12
Originally Posted by paperchase http://www.rs6.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php?p=283953#post283953) My tranny does not slip at all. I did get a torque converter stuck position code a few months ago that went away without resetting. .

Is this an original torque converter? Don't know what stuck position means, and the torque converter is kinda important on the launch ... and a weak point. Might be worth having a pro check it out.

Honestly, you might not know that trans is slipping until it goes kaboom...along with power transfer issues as stated about the TC...

Related, read an interesting article testing the power of a 15 year old M3, was down about 15% for various reasons.

DHall1
July 23rd, 2016, 08:14
Clearly

That car in the distance is me....that 2011 Grandsport vette getting his hat handed to him is my coworker.

He was not impressed at all.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s532/03RSTT/Mobile%20Uploads/BCCBE8C2-D364-4F77-BE58-E69851299393_zpsf8manuho.png

I guess it depends what your expectations are. Stock RS6s run very high 12 second quarter-mile times in most cases. Stock CLS 550 is at least as quick if not quicker and certainly 5+ mph faster in the quarter mile.

C5 RS6 is also now 13 years old, so its performance isn't as impressive when compared to newer cars.

Cmnair
July 23rd, 2016, 11:09
Dave good work there ......but you beat the driver. Stock LS3 Grandsport traps in the mid teens and you said the car was modified a little?

ZCD2.7T
July 23rd, 2016, 13:16
...That car in the distance is me....

Yep, and if it was me in the other lane in my C7 S6, chances are I'd be leading you...

Look, no offense intended. C5 RS6s are quick, but there are many "lesser" cars these days that are as quick or quicker.

The game has moved on, as it always does.

DHall1
July 23rd, 2016, 16:01
How did you know? LOL

Me with .06 reaction time....every time. + a Grandsport vette with marginal traction = RS6 as you see it miles out on the vette. Yes, he could trap at 115 but I was long gone every time...he could not catch me. Hehe, real world results.

My point to the crowd is this....don't make blanket statements such as these cars are not impressive and or time has moved on. BS

I can push my cars to high 11s if the need would present itself and they perform like a fine swiss watch. There is no CLS550 that would make a joke of my cars from a stoplight.

And the new C7 S6 owner better cut a .00 light or this old C5 might stay out front. LOL

Dave good work there ......but you beat the driver. Stock LS3 Grandsport traps in the mid teens and you said the car was modified a little?

Cmnair
July 23rd, 2016, 16:32
Dave it works the other way too, we may be making blanket statements about "how competitive these cars still are". You are a great driver and your cars are spot on but more often than not the RS6 is going to lose to these newer cars. The RS6 is a great car, maybe even an iconic one but the reality is that the outdated auto tranny and difficulty in launching will hold it back. I see tons of time slips on here with modified RS6s barely matching magazine stock times. Again, you and your cars are an exception but what I am saying is true for the majority of the RS6s on the road today. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, the best part about the car is the way it builds up speed on the highway, but others (even regular cars) have caught up in terms of off the line and quarter mile. Too much new tech now with faster shifting autos, dct and launch control.

DHall1
July 23rd, 2016, 17:27
I generally don't make claims that I raced this that or the other car. But when someone comes on and posts misinformation or their cars lack of performance.....I will clarify what these cars can do if you maintain them properly and mod them to a reasonable degree. Many long term forum members have RS6s running in top form and in top form the car makes no excuses. Even at 13yrs old.

I get the new tech but just having the "new tech" does not guarantee success in a real world situation. ie my good buddy with the Grandsport vette.

Beware of the sneaky old veteran that knows how to get a car down the track.

Aronis
July 24th, 2016, 00:36
The "Marginal Traction" is a great point.

All the latest BMW's with AWD are faster than their RWD stable mates......case in point 340 ix vs non-Ix 4.6 vs 4.8 from BMW's own data.

The RS6 does not fail to put a smile on my face. And with new turbos, etc, I think it's back to new like performance. :)...

As far as the new S6 vs RS6, D'ooh.....same hp numbers, better transmission, I'd expect the newer S6 to win.

Mike

Cmnair
July 24th, 2016, 00:57
I generally don't make claims that I raced this that or the other car. But when someone comes on and posts misinformation or their cars lack of performance.....I will clarify what these cars can do if you maintain them properly and mod them to a reasonable degree. Many long term forum members have RS6s running in top form and in top form the car makes no excuses. Even at 13yrs old.

I get the new tech but just having the "new tech" does not guarantee success in a real world situation. ie my good buddy with the Grandsport vette.

Beware of the sneaky old veteran that knows how to get a car down the track.

I actually don't think the OP posted misinformation. His experience with his stock RS6 is quite realistic.

mgmarsh39
July 24th, 2016, 02:17
The "Marginal Traction" is a great point.

All the latest BMW's with AWD are faster than their RWD stable mates......case in point 340 ix vs non-Ix 4.6 vs 4.8 from BMW's own data.

The RS6 does not fail to put a smile on my face. And with new turbos, etc, I think it's back to new like performance. :)...

As far as the new S6 vs RS6, D'ooh.....same hp numbers, better transmission, I'd expect the newer S6 to win.

Mike

My buddy's 328i AWD is a quick car.

ZCD2.7T
July 24th, 2016, 02:50
I actually don't think the OP posted misinformation. His experience with his stock RS6 is quite realistic.

This, exactly.

ZCD2.7T
July 24th, 2016, 03:06
...As far as the new S6 vs RS6...same hp numbers, better transmission, I'd expect the newer S6 to win...

Not to pick nits, but my 2013 S6 was rated at 420 hp, not 450 like the C5 RS6.

REAL-WORLD results however suggest that the C5 RS6's HP may actually have been slightly over-rated by the factory (which was fairly common in Audis at that time), whereas the C7's 4.0T's 420 hp rating has been shown to be at least 15-20% under its actual output.

The DCT transmission also helps with the C7's ETs in 1/4 mile racing, but it's the ~115 mph trap speed (vs. a stock C5 RS6's typical ~108 mph) that tells the true story of the HP being made.

All that said, my larger point is that the OP shouldn't really be surprised that his RS 6 lost an impromptu drag race against an equally powerful, much newer, more technologically advanced car.

DHall1
July 24th, 2016, 03:16
Quoting lack of performance/ misinformation is mostly subjective and difficult to quantify.

I beleve even a properly sorted stock RS6 will not get killed at the stoplight by a cls550.

that is my final word on the matter. Lol

all you C7 crew are welcome to Phoenix for some 405 night drags anytime.

ZCD2.7T
July 24th, 2016, 03:42
...all you C7 crew are welcome to Phoenix for some 405 night drags anytime.

Great - and we can run "..all stock, stage 1 tune", too, right, like you? Mid 11's at 118-120 mph would be the result, so wouldn't be much of a race, but could still be fun... ��

Cmnair
July 24th, 2016, 12:18
Here is the Eurocharged Stage 1 tune for the 2012 CLS550 ~ 530 hp/606 lb-ft.

http://www.eurocharged.com/products/mercedes-performance-and-tuning/cls-class/cls550/mercedes-biturbo-m278-performance-engine-software.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

There are quite a few of these on the road as per the MB forums :) so if you compare Stage 1 to Stage 1 (equal drivers) the CLS550 will be ahead

fukinavit
July 24th, 2016, 16:44
Here is the Eurocharged Stage 1 tune for the 2012 CLS550 ~ 530 hp/606 lb-ft.

http://www.eurocharged.com/products/mercedes-performance-and-tuning/cls-class/cls550/mercedes-biturbo-m278-performance-engine-software.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

There are quite a few of these on the road as per the MB forums :) so if you compare Stage 1 to Stage 1 (equal drivers) the CLS550 will be ahead

by about a fender length.

our cars still hold their own, but agreed, most sedans now have around 400 hp, and everything has better trans and even awd in some cases.
ours is a classic, the cls isnt, you can make anything go fast, the new audi S cars are nice but srill not an RS, they will fall by the wayside and no one will care, RS cars are special, no matter what model.

hahnmgh63
July 24th, 2016, 16:53
I would caution believing Eurocharged or most tuners claims. I'm sure it adds at least half of what they claim. I added it to my RS6 and a friend to his 997TT and it was marginally better than Revo. The good thing is they (at the time), coded out my SAI system as well as the secondary O2's but it was only marginally better than the Revo.
At least in my case, I like the idea of being able to go to AMD with the same car and same Dyno for an Apples to Apples before and after comparison to really see what I'm getting for my money.

Cmnair
July 24th, 2016, 17:09
by about a fender length.

our cars still hold their own, but agreed, most sedans now have around 400 hp, and everything has better trans and even awd in some cases.
ours is a classic, the cls isnt, you can make anything go fast, the new audi S cars are nice but srill not an RS, they will fall by the wayside and no one will care, RS cars are special, no matter what model.

Agreed it is a special car, that is why we all own and enjoy it. I guess the point was that even regular cars have caught up to the special RS cars

Cmnair
July 24th, 2016, 17:12
I would caution believing Eurocharged or most tuners claims. I'm sure it adds at least half of what they claim. I added it to my RS6 and a friend to his 997TT and it was marginally better than Revo. The good thing is they (at the time), coded out my SAI system as well as the secondary O2's but it was only marginally better than the Revo.
At least in my case, I like the idea of being able to go to AMD with the same car and same Dyno for an Apples to Apples before and after comparison to really see what I'm getting for my money.

lol I just used Eurocharged as an example .. Renntech also has a tune. There are good and bad tuners in the MB world just as we have with Audi. The new twin turbo engines seem to respond really well to tunes.

paperchase
July 28th, 2016, 19:14

I am very impressed with the Eurocharged tune on my 2005 CL600. It transformed an already fast car into what approximates a supercar and I have driven a few. I wanted to park my RS6 and go cruising around the town looking for the cls550 in my cl600 that very night. Technology has not caught up with that engine and tranny. People are running over 1000hp on the stock tranny without incident. I have crushed or pulled even with every foe, including all the high horsepower Mustangs, Dodge's and even a late model 911TT. Admittedly, there are maintenance concerns such as the notorious suspension which make the average cost of ownership fairly high.

Back to the RS6...I love mine. Do I wish it were faster? Yes. Do I love the cool factor of having a 13 year old limited production car? Yes. It fits the exact place in my collection for which it was purchased. I drive it on the highway to work and when I get there and pull into the garage my colleagues' feathers aren't ruffled. It replaced a 1994 Mercedes E500 and it has the benefit of being great in wet weather. It's really a clean well running example; although, maybe I could have a few things buttoned up and I will give the Eurocharged or 034 chip a try since ECU tunes do wonders on turbocharged cars. To be clear, I don't need it to be the fastest car on the road; but, I do want it to be a real sleeper which will require a bit more pep to be fair.

So maybe the experts can provide me with a list of things to do or check so I can get my baby to reach her full potential. Nothing obvious stands out. Tranny seems great except for a hard 2 to 1 downshift only when running in sport mode. Using 3rd gear in the tiptronic from a low RPM at full throttle I get no slippage. My non-expert sensibilities are unable to detect the source of any potential power loss and I'm open to suggestions. A to do list for new purchasers would be a great information tool!

July 31st, 2016, 03:48
Jesus....what a thread....I'll take any challengers from 0-480 (that's knots...about 550 mph) for my "daily driver". Yes, newer cars can be faster.....find me one more capable.....for the same $$....someone....please! Give me a car with AWD.....4 doors....a trailer hitch....0-60 under 4.5......less than 5 years old....for under 30k.....oh, and doesn't look like I'm 16 years old...

That's what I thought........which is why I'll put 3-4k per year into this car until I can find something better....

ZCD2.7T
August 1st, 2016, 13:31
Jesus....what a thread....I'll take any challengers from 0-480 (that's knots...about 550 mph) for my "daily driver". Yes, newer cars can be faster.....find me one more capable.....for the same $$....someone....please! Give me a car with AWD.....4 doors....a trailer hitch....0-60 under 4.5......less than 5 years old....for under 30k.....oh, and doesn't look like I'm 16 years old...

That's what I thought........which is why I'll put 3-4k per year into this car until I can find something better....

A little negotiation, and this could fit your bill:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/674209956/overview/

Or this:

http://https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/668327928/overview/

Add a tune+pulley and you'd still be under your budget, and it would run high 11s reliably for years...

paperchase
August 1st, 2016, 18:46
A little negotiation, and this could fit your bill:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/674209956/overview/

Or this:

http://https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/668327928/overview/

Add a tune+pulley and you'd still be under your budget, and it would run high 11s reliably for years...

The second link didn't work. Curious as to what you suggested. I just ordered my Eurocharged tune which is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. I'll report back with updated impressions.

ZCD2.7T
August 1st, 2016, 22:49
The second link didn't work. Curious as to what you suggested. I just ordered my Eurocharged tune which is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. I'll report back with updated impressions.

It was supposed to link to a 2012 B8 S4 with about 58k miles. Great car...

nistah
August 2nd, 2016, 01:29
Back to the RS6...I love mine. Do I wish it were faster? Yes.

I will give the Eurocharged or 034 chip a try since ECU tunes do wonders on turbocharged cars.

Here are a few data points for you to consider in your analysis....I've previously owned an RS6 that had a Eurocharged tune, dyno'd 424 WHEEL HP and currently own a stock late VIN RS6. Without a doubt a tuned RS6 is a quicker car however you should very carefully consider total cost that extra HP. The Audi RS6 5htp auto trans is comparably well below the Mercedes transmissions with respect to durability and power handling capabilities, in fact the 5 HTP trans in the C5 RS6 are notorious for blowing up the TQ converter's and Trans boxes, this risk is GREATLY enhanced when running a tuned C5 RS6.

It seems like the majority of the folks who've run a tune on the C5 RS6 have experienced some form of premature tq conv or total transmission failure as a direct result of increasing the boost via running a tune, my self included. Of course downtime and cost are two unpleasant aspects that accompany dreaded trans issues in the beast. Naturally the impact of the cost burden may be offset should you have quality extended warranty coverage at your disposal. Generally the cost$ to replace/rebuild an RS6 trans are well above average, pushing your total cost of ownership closer to that of a newer performance car.

By no means am I tying to scare you away from getting a tune, however I thought you may want to consider typical potential outcomes before you move forward. My personal experience has been that the Stock RS6 has been a much more enjoyable ownership experience vs. tuned, just my .02.
Whatever you decide I wish you luck & hope you enjoy the journey:RS5fan:

DHall1
August 2nd, 2016, 01:54
Op trans is already blown

not a great plan to buy a tune before you have a well sorted base

not a great plan to tune before owning the vag com and learning how to use it

b8 S4 may be a better choice for the op

lswing
August 2nd, 2016, 02:33
Yea, gonna have to echo this...putting the tune on may be the end of this trans. As stated by the OP, TC issue popped up, went away...also known as intermittent...meaning ready to fail.

To clarify, I've never heard of a TC failing due to any level of power, only the early TC's failed that had factory issues. I've failed two trans on my current TC:)

Don't worry, it's only about $6-10k per trans refresh...good for a few hundred WOT runs.

lswing
August 2nd, 2016, 02:35
It was supposed to link to a 2012 B8 S4 with about 58k miles. Great car...

I always forget, do you own an RS6...or just bash on them? Many other reasons for owning this car than comparing to new S6 time slips...

paperchase
August 2nd, 2016, 03:30
Op trans is already blown

not a great plan to buy a tune before you have a well sorted base

not a great plan to tune before owning the vag com and learning how to use it

b8 S4 may be a better choice for the op

I see you've logged a number of posts and are a dedicated owner, but your know-it-all attitude is rather unwelcomed and unwelcoming. How do you know my trans is blown? Just because you've blown a few, perhaps, doesn't mean mine is blown. How do you know my RS6 is not well-sorted? Have you inspected my vehicle personally? How do you know I don't own a vag com and, setting aside this, why must I learn how to use it? Consider that some enthusiasts have great relationships with their mechanics and as a value proposition prefer to devote more energy towards creating net worth sufficient to enable them to enjoy their toys without belaboring the costs of ownership. If my torque converter fails, I can fix it. If my tranny blows I can replace it. If I decide this isn't the car for me, I can buy something else. I didn't choose this car because it was inexpensive; and, I didn't pool all my resources to make the purchase possible without regard to what it would cost to maintain. Frankly, I was about to replace the torque converter a month ago but half the people on this board said don't bother just wait until the tranny blows -- the other half reported that changing the converter or fluid gave them several years of problem-free driving. In the end, I didn't know what to do so I figured push the platform with a chip, let the weak points break and fix it up better than before. As with everything, mileage may vary but the vocal majority seem to be jaded owners whom have experienced RS6 financial hardship and, seemingly, wish the same fate for their fellow owners. That vibe sucks and is really ruining part of the camaraderie I had hoped to find here. I came on here to learn, not to be bashed. Constructive criticism is cool, but the tone of your response is not constructive. There's no technical information being provided such as can be found in other posters' responses for example. What gives?

hahnmgh63
August 2nd, 2016, 03:31
B8S4 is a great little car, yes smaller but not much lighter though. You can bump the flywheel HP up from 333 to over 400 fairly easily, that is flywheel HP. Although the car isn't much lighter than the RS6 it does have a little better balance (less front weight). You can go with the 6sp manual (but for $ you can do that with the RS6) or you can go with the S-tronic which is more reliable in the S4 but not bullet proof. Their have been a fair amount of S-tronic failures in the S4 and the trannies are around $8K from Audi and I don't think their are any aftermarket rebuilders, yet... I know a little bit as I do have a 2012 S4, a 2011~2012+ S4 will be better than a '09~'10 due to some tranny software & hardware improvements.

ZCD2.7T
August 2nd, 2016, 04:59
I always forget, do you own an RS6...or just bash on them? Many other reasons for owning this car than comparing to new S6 time slips...

I don't own an RS 6. I thought about purchasing one but decided not to based on a friend's experiences with his, plus reading about others' experiences with theirs on this and other sites.

I also don't bash on them, regardless of what you might think. I am however, realistic about them and that's why I didn't buy one - it wouldn't have fit my needs. The truth is that I really like the C5 RS6, and would have liked to have owned one. However, times have changed and though its performance was exceptional when it was introduced, it is no longer as impressive in the context of newer options.

I wwill also point out that this is the RS 6, S6, RS7, S7 and S8 forum, NOT just the C5 RS 6 forum, so despite the fact that you and some others here are totally C5 RS 6-centric, the forum is open to many other models and owners.

Back on topic the OP's sentiment was that his C5 RS 6 isn't as fast as he expected it to be. That's because he ran up against a newer, (though "lesser") Mercedes that ate his lunch. That will be a regular occurrence for C5 RS 6 owners who decide to challenge newer, faster cars in contests of straight-line speed.

I appreciate the C5 RS 6 for what it is: a great-looking, unique and pretty fast, though also often fragile and flawed, machine.

4everRS
August 2nd, 2016, 05:33
I don't own an RS 6. I thought about purchasing one but decided not to based on a friend's experiences with his, plus reading about others' experiences with theirs on this and other sites.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/039297CE-7536-4FA5-AE05-7781351E9C40.png (http://s864.photobucket.com/user/crocodile64/media/039297CE-7536-4FA5-AE05-7781351E9C40.png.html)

DHall1
August 2nd, 2016, 05:47
Dude,

I get it we will never be buds.

But stop making blanket statements about a car you know nothing about.

No cls550 eats my lunch. Period

I also don't bash on them, regardless of what you might think. I am however, realistic about them and that's why I didn't buy one -

Back on topic the OP's sentiment was that his C5 RS 6 isn't as fast as he expected it to be. That's because he ran up against a newer, (though "lesser") Mercedes that ate his lunch. That will be a regular occurrence for C5 RS 6 owners who decide to challenge newer, faster cars in contests of straight-line speed.

I appreciate the C5 RS 6 for what it is: a great-looking, unique and pretty fast, though also often fragile and flawed, machine.

DHall1
August 2nd, 2016, 05:52
So wait, let me get this straight.

Im the jaded RS6 owner that has experienced financial hardship and wish it upon others?

Seriously?

Dude, get a life.

You come on here and ask for help. When a simple opinion does not meet your plan...you resort to this?

Cheers

I see you've logged a number of posts and are a dedicated owner, but your know-it-all attitude is rather unwelcomed and unwelcoming. How do you know my trans is blown? Just because you've blown a few, perhaps, doesn't mean mine is blown. How do you know my RS6 is not well-sorted? Have you inspected my vehicle personally? How do you know I don't own a vag com and, setting aside this, why must I learn how to use it? Consider that some enthusiasts have great relationships with their mechanics and as a value proposition prefer to devote more energy towards creating net worth sufficient to enable them to enjoy their toys without belaboring the costs of ownership. If my torque converter fails, I can fix it. If my tranny blows I can replace it. If I decide this isn't the car for me, I can buy something else. I didn't choose this car because it was inexpensive; and, I didn't pool all my resources to make the purchase possible without regard to what it would cost to maintain. Frankly, I was about to replace the torque converter a month ago but half the people on this board said don't bother just wait until the tranny blows -- the other half reported that changing the converter or fluid gave them several years of problem-free driving. In the end, I didn't know what to do so I figured push the platform with a chip, let the weak points break and fix it up better than before. As with everything, mileage may vary but the vocal majority seem to be jaded owners whom have experienced RS6 financial hardship and, seemingly, wish the same fate for their fellow owners. That vibe sucks and is really ruining part of the camaraderie I had hoped to find here. I came on here to learn, not to be bashed. Constructive criticism is cool, but the tone of your response is not constructive. There's no technical information being provided such as can be found in other posters' responses for example. What gives?

ZCD2.7T
August 2nd, 2016, 14:13

...stop making blanket statements about a car you know nothing about...

Right, because 13 years of watching this space, plus seeing the experiences of 4 friends first-hand, all of whom are local to me, taught me nothing about the car or its foibles...

/sarcasm

From wonky DRC systems and Audi's ridiculously late addressing of them, to bad N75 valves to transmissions that don't hold up, to leaky intercoolers, to needing to remove the engine to replace turbos, to RNS-E conversions, to having personally owned 3 C5s, I know plenty about the cars.

Your assumptions otherwise are plain false.

paperchase
August 2nd, 2016, 15:40
So wait, let me get this straight.

Im the jaded RS6 owner that has experienced financial hardship and wish it upon others?

Seriously?

Dude, get a life.

You come on here and ask for help. When a simple opinion does not meet your plan...you resort to this?

Cheers

Since I've begun posting here, OP has been good for requesting the last 6 of my VIN and asking for ownership history. OP's simple opinions to date have been that the rates I was quoted for repairs were too low, my tranny is blown and my RS6 is not well-sorted because I lost a street race to a cls550.

I have a life. It's rather rewarding. I didn't mean to challenge OP's RS6 message board prowess. His social order remains intact.

Thanks to posters like lswing, makaveli42 and 4everRS for your respective contributions. I hope OP takes notes.

Bigglezworth
August 3rd, 2016, 00:45
OP's simple opinions to date have been that the rates I was quoted for repairs were too low, my tranny is blown and my RS6 is not well-sorted because I lost a street race to a cls550.I can express similar concerns for what it's worth for rates, tranny, and the 550. That aside, do what you need to about feeling comfortable with your ride. There are many rides on this forum with some stock and some not so stock. They run differently from day to day and person to person. Expect a full 2 or more seconds of difference in 1/4 mile performance between OEM and modified. A decade can indeed make a difference with total car performance, but there are only a handful that eek a good condition RS and the 550 isn't one of them. One that is is the newer RS6/7 and because NA doesn't have the 6, I have run a new RS7 on a trio of occassions and held with it each time. I am certain the 7 was OEM while I'm not, but still equal. Modifieid I wouldn't be able to keep with it as the gearing makes a sizeable difference.

Cmnair
August 3rd, 2016, 01:11
Expect a full 2 or more seconds of difference in 1/4 mile performance between OEM and modified. A decade can indeed make a difference with total car performance, but there are only a handful that eek a good condition RS and the 550 isn't one of them. One that is is the newer RS6/7 and because NA doesn't have the 6, I have run a new RS7 on a trio of occassions and held with it each time. I am certain the 7 was OEM while I'm not, but still equal. Modifieid I wouldn't be able to keep with it as the gearing makes a sizeable difference.

Are you saying that a modified RS6 can run the quarter in 10.6 seconds??? And you were door to door with an RS7 in your modified RS6? You have a 120 plus mph trap speed car then. :)

DHall1
August 3rd, 2016, 01:25
I got ya bud. Good luck with your ride.....gonna need it.

I don't resort to name calling or attacking other owners and their perceived financial standing in the world. But clearly, you have such a temper.

Ass umptions are just that.

Many of us are indeed very busy and don't have time to rehash old topics over and over again. You could search as these items have been covered.

As with everything, mileage may vary but the vocal majority seem to be jaded owners whom have experienced RS6 financial hardship and, seemingly, wish the same fate for their fellow owners. That vibe sucks and is really ruining part of the camaraderie I had hoped to find here. I came on here to learn, not to be bashed. Constructive criticism is cool, but the tone of your response is not constructive. There's no technical information being provided such as can be found in other posters' responses for example. What gives?

Bigglezworth
August 3rd, 2016, 01:30
Are you saying that a modified RS6 can run the quarter in 10.6 seconds??? And you were door to door with an RS7 in your modified RS6? You have a 120 plus mph trap speed car then. :)An OEM RS7 doesn't run 10.6. A modded one does. I did state that I am certain each time the 7 was OEM. The one time was a highway run with the 7 out front doing a pass of two cars at once with me on it's heels. We hit 150 and I was on his ass. As for the 6 here - yes it traps 120 at 11.7 (albeit altitude corrected, but that's straight math that is tried tested and proven). Set-up is similar to what my one other ride was at that ran 11.9 @ 118 (have video if you want to see), except with gutted DP's, weight diet, and a few other odds and sods to eek out another cuple of tenths. There are a host of tunes out there and they are not all the same... IMO, it comes down entirely to the tranny being the specific difference that is responsible for a full second from the C5. The power levels are very similar in my experience.

Cmnair
August 3rd, 2016, 01:37
That is a fast RS6 you have there then.

I was referring to your comment about a 2 sec quarter mile difference between OEM and modified (not sure whether you were talking about an RS6 though). In the case of a modified RS6 that is a quarter mile in 10.6 secs (assuming you are comparing to OEM time of 12.6) unless you were referring to something else?

Bigglezworth
August 3rd, 2016, 04:37
That is a fast RS6 you have there then.

I was referring to your comment about a 2 sec quarter mile difference between OEM and modified (not sure whether you were talking about an RS6 though). In the case of a modified RS6 that is a quarter mile in 10.6 secs (assuming you are comparing to OEM time of 12.6) unless you were referring to something else?

Sorry, I had it in my head that a 'stock' off the showroom floor RS6 was 13.4-13.6'ish and a few of the quicker ones running 11.5-11.7 which is why I was referring to 2 seconds from base to modified. In following this forum for a few years, I have frequently seen members unhappy with runs in the 13's. I don't recall the car being baseline mid 12's. I guess I need a refresher on the basics....

I am aware that the new RS7 with an agressive tune can run in the mid 10's which I personally attribute to the improvements made in the transmission vs that of the engine.

Again, just my observations based upon real world experiences. It would be nice if there was a yearly event that we could gather at and show/run our rides for fun with others (like what is done with Buicks in Bowling Green).

hahnmgh63
August 3rd, 2016, 05:04
I don't run mine in the 1/4 mile but there are the videos out there of Marc, 10seconds4 running a couple of back to back 11.8's with only a tune and gutted pre-cats. There are a few things an owner will learn over the years to keep his running in top shape and yes, Vagcom is an important part. It would take a pretty knowledgable indy to keep up with all of the nuances an RS6 can throw at you, and some of the issues won't throw codes but have to be learned from experience, data logging, and from others on the list. I would bet I could spend an hour with 50% of the RS6's out there and find something degrading performance, like was said, it is a 13yr old car.

ZCD2.7T
August 3rd, 2016, 14:13
...I guess I need a refresher on the basics....

...which I personally attribute to the improvements made in the transmission vs that of the engine...

Yes, it appears that you DO need a refresher on the basics.

For instance, the bulk of the test results that appeared when the C5 RS 6 was introduced put its 1/4 mile time between 12.8 and 13.1 seconds, at 107-108 MPH.

Here's a representative example:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2003-audi-rs-6-page-5

(note that the E55AMG was quicker/faster yet...)

Also, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that it's primarily transmission improvements that are responsible for newer cars' better performance. While things like launch control can help with ET and time to distance (such as 60' or 1/4 mile) they have little effect on trap speed. Higher trap speed requires power, so when a stock RS7 or E63AMG hits 120-124 mph in the 1/4 mile, that shows that those cars are making WAY more power than the C5 RS6. Like 150-200hp more. Here's an estimator that can be used to look at various scenarios:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

This suggests that the RS7 makes right at 200 hp more than the RS 6, given its 4450 lb. weight and 122 mph trap speed.

lswing
August 3rd, 2016, 16:47
Now you're just being silly^^^...

Many modded cars are in the ballpark or above at 515hp/550tq similar to mine. A new stock 2013 RS7 is 516hp/560tq.

All numbers variable of course, but amazingly close for 13 years...and some mods:)

Now the RS7 has an amazing trans among other things, so it better be faster.

Paper, you should log some data, might give insight on any issues, boost leak maybe. Anyhow, most of the time these are amazing machines. My brother drives an E60 M5, he was pissed that I was faster to 100 with all my torque. The V10 M5 pulled like mad after that though.

Edit; RS7 probably puts down better percent to the wheels with its new drivetrain.

ZCD2.7T
August 3rd, 2016, 17:45
Now you're just being silly^^^....

Silly is comparing a modified engine's output to a stock engine.

Modded RS7 4.0TTs put out about 700 hp, or still 150-200 hp more than a modded 4.2TT.

Also, the stock 2014 RS7 (first year offered in the US) was rated at 560 hp, not 513 hp:

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/rs-7/2014/used/?tab-id=specs-tab

Aronis
August 3rd, 2016, 17:47
Enough...you all need to go right now and order an S8 Plus or an RS7 Performance and dump the old cars. :)

lswing
August 3rd, 2016, 18:13
Silly is comparing a modified engine's output to a stock engine.

Modded RS7 4.0TTs put out about 700 hp, or still 150-200 hp more than a modded 4.2TT.

Also, the stock 2014 RS7 (first year offered in the US) was rated at 560 hp, not 513 hp:

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/rs-7/2014/used/?tab-id=specs-tab

I should have clarified, my point being a light-medium modded RS6 can hang close to a stock RS7...13 years old, amazing really.

The trans is really the only big $$$ weak point. Other than that seems standard repairs for a performance car. You just need to be able to do the work, have a friendly mech, or you'll pay $$$ for sure.

HPO-DK
August 3rd, 2016, 19:22
Its not the fastest car around but still fairly quick even for a 14 year old one,not many exspekt it to that fast for a Family car,mine is a avant and a big surprise

for most on the road,there are no signs on it so only a few that know the type will spot it.

17580 Nice and clean

Did you ever get the 5.0 V10 in the US

ZCD2.7T
August 3rd, 2016, 19:28
...The trans is really the only big $$$ weak point. Other than that seems standard repairs for a performance car. You just need to be able to do the work, have a friendly mech, or you'll pay $$$ for sure.

Now this we can agree on, as long as we leave DRC repairs out of the equation...��

ZCD2.7T
August 3rd, 2016, 19:31
...for most on the road,there are no signs on it so only a few that know the type will spot it.

Did you ever get the 5.0 V10 in the US

Truth.

Nice Avant, BTW! Sadly, never got the C5 RS 6 Avant or the C6 RS6 of any kind in the US...��

paperchase
August 3rd, 2016, 22:20
I got ya bud. Good luck with your ride.....gonna need it.

I don't resort to name calling or attacking other owners and their perceived financial standing in the world. But clearly, you have such a temper.

Ass umptions are just that.

Many of us are indeed very busy and don't have time to rehash old topics over and over again. You could search as these items have been covered.

I meant to say "vocal minority" to distinguish the you from the majority of seemingly well-intentioned posters on here whose contributions I appreciate. Humility is the ultimate wisdom.

I post on various internet forums and have never had a fallout with a fellow member. I don't have a temper per se but do lack tolerance for internet bullies who motive hunt of a motiveless malignity and then cry victim like an exposed grandiose narcissist. So spare me the "dude", "bud" or whatever other joe-familiar terms of quasi-endearment you condescendingly include in your flippant remarks while attacking my car, my suitability as an owner and even my character -- three things of which you purport expertise but know very little.

Now we could try this again, but you know what they say about first impressions.

DIXI

paperchase
August 4th, 2016, 14:55
Now you're just being silly^^^...

Many modded cars are in the ballpark or above at 515hp/550tq similar to mine. A new stock 2013 RS7 is 516hp/560tq.

All numbers variable of course, but amazingly close for 13 years...and some mods:)

Now the RS7 has an amazing trans among other things, so it better be faster.

Paper, you should log some data, might give insight on any issues, boost leak maybe. Anyhow, most of the time these are amazing machines. My brother drives an E60 M5, he was pissed that I was faster to 100 with all my torque. The V10 M5 pulled like mad after that though.

Edit; RS7 probably puts down better percent to the wheels with its new drivetrain.

I will definitely find someone to check for boost leaks. That's a good suggestion and would makes sense to the extent it's something I wouldn't be able to easily discern. I also thought about replacing the diverter/blow off valve as I once heard the sound of geese upon hard acceleration. I recall hearing that sound in an old Dinan 750iL Twin Turbo of mine (it scared me to death) and once I replace the bosch blow off valve the car pulled stronger than ever. I would ask for a how to tutorial, but I'll search the forum first. Thanks.

P.S. -- Shifting issues aside, that E60 M5 is a beast. I really wanted to like that car -- I mean really, and just never could. I had an 88 M5 and and E34. My E32 750TT was my last BMW. It did an honest 0-60 in 4.3 with a top end of 192. Think electric supercar...high speed torque converter, like no turbo lag...all you heard were the intercoolers. Sounded like Darth Vader.

ZCD2.7T
August 4th, 2016, 15:58

http://i.imgur.com/3evmiae.png

SteveKen
August 4th, 2016, 21:25
. . . heard the sound of geese upon hard acceleration. . .

I've never heard this on any of my RS6's so this might be your problem, but I can't speculate on waht the issue might be.

I've had a hose pop off of the diverter valve and had boost hoses leak too and don't recall ever hearing geese.

ben916
August 11th, 2016, 00:54
I've never heard this on any of my RS6's so this might be your problem, but I can't speculate on waht the issue might be.

I've had a hose pop off of the diverter valveS and had boost hoses leak too and don't recall ever hearing geese.

This^^^ and well documented

MaxRS6
August 11th, 2016, 14:34
Sounds like an APR goose chase...

CBeau
August 11th, 2016, 20:27
Now this forum is finally starting to feel like the rest of the worthless kids slinging mud escapades that I'm used to, and which have mostly died an accelerated death and migrated to that great gov't data collecting and surveillance scheme known as facebook. Funny how even the best intentioned people can quickly sink to their lowest common denominator.

I can say - as a several yr. owner and owner of many other "fast" cars - anyone who bought, buys or might by a C5 RS6 thinking it is a remarkably fast OR reliable car is buying the wrong car (actually mine hasn't been unreliable except normal expected rubber/plastic parts wear like vacuum hoses, cam tensioner pads AND the DRC which had been warranty replaced AND the trans/TC imploding on schedule... small detail). If you aren't a real "car person" you will have very little use or appreciation for one of these. That said, I love mine and appreciate it for what it is, was and will be.... a unique, low production, reasonably fast luxury sedan that you better love and maintain and tolerate or sooner or later you will dump and/or hate it. Personally I've never messed with mine power-wise, bc I knew what it was and what it wasn't and it is documented as noteworthy and historically as the dead sea scrolls that the trans were junk as a mate for the engine. And sure enough, no power upgrades needed, mine failed anyway about 95k mi.s but I knew that was a probability.

I will also say that once I went and test drove one for sale, long after I had mine, and the seller seemingly honestly thought nothing was amiss with it, but it didn't drive like my bone stock one... at all. I don't know if it was boost leak or what and I didn't bother to investigate but I can very unscientifically and numberlessly say it was a total yawn inspiring dog.

I will also say I've driven a friend's RS7 a good bit and just feel, and feel alone, I think speed and acceleration wise it seems just slightly above C5 RS6 but that the smoothness and refinement of the trans etc. almost make the RS7 less exciting and inspiring. I love the trans and interior of the RS7 and the overall ride, but honestly open the hood and it looks like most current powerplants, a bunch of plastic molded faux junk engineered to be a 10 years tops lifed asset... I know blame gov't CAFE standards for need for light cheap plastic but I don't care, I'd rather pay the guzzler tax or whatever. In that regard - and I know a lot of people could give a shit less - that RS7 will never be what a handbuilt C5 RS6 engine is. Audi RSs used to be a real rarity, I thought I had heard or read only one model once every four years historically?? Obviously no more. RSs are certainly rarer than Ms and AMGs but they're a commodity staple now across most of the line-up. Are they still even all built by Quattro GmBH? Flay me or calling myself a "car person" and not knowing.

C5 RS6 Fast? Tuned or not?? Ehhh... maybe, all relative. Cool to real car people? For sure. You don't like it.... get rid of it. You want super fast or car... get something else. And you don't need new car to be super fast. I'll put my 9 year old (and they have much older) simply tuned w/ OEM viscous full on auto trans SL65 up against pretty much any car mentioned in this thread, any place 1/4 mi., autobahn I don't care except a real road course and I'll smoke it with my top down and a/c on full blast. I didn't buy my RS6 for that (I didn't really buy that SL65 for that either but it just comes with the territory), I bought it to be a unique handbuilt icon with very respectable performance past or present, and it never disappoints me.... even with blown trans and my replacement sitting next to it in my shop for the past 5 months.... that's all on me.

Other_Erik
August 12th, 2016, 11:31

Well said

lswing
August 12th, 2016, 14:13
P.S. -- Shifting issues aside, that E60 M5 is a beast. I really wanted to like that car -- I mean really, and just never could. I had an 88 M5 and and E34. My E32 750TT was my last BMW. It did an honest 0-60 in 4.3 with a top end of 192. Think electric supercar...high speed torque converter, like no turbo lag...all you heard were the intercoolers. Sounded like Darth Vader.

We added the $10k ESS SUPERCHARGER kit and water meth, estimated 650hp at that point, wheels kept slipping on the dyno. At that point it BLEW the doors off my RS6, assuming it was bone dry out. Yes, that trans is a clunky mess!

http://esstuning.com/s85-vt2-650-supercharger-system/

Good luck sorting the RS6 tune, sucks it wasn't a clean flash. First I've heard of Eurocharged having that issue.

Cmnair
August 13th, 2016, 00:04
Well said

Agreed except for the part where he says the RS7 is just slightly above the C5 RS6 speed and acceleration wise. I would say that a car that traps at least 10 mph faster stock to stock is much faster than "slightly above".

bethridg
August 15th, 2016, 22:29
http://i.imgur.com/XujHL.gif