PDA

View Full Version : Rear Main Seal Question...

sempaipaul
July 5th, 2016, 04:05
Good Evening,

Is the only alternative to the rear main seal replacement the $300+ seal with the entire flange assembly? Is that seal glued into the flange? Or --- is there an alternative.

Regards,
Paul

SteveKen
July 5th, 2016, 04:16
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32483-Rear-Main-(Crankshaft)-seal

fyi it's rare for them to leak and is best to leave as is.

a lot of time.it's an issue further up the engine

UrS6
July 5th, 2016, 13:18
Good Evening,

Is the only alternative to the rear main seal replacement the $300+ seal with the entire flange assembly? Is that seal glued into the flange? Or --- is there an alternative.

Regards,
Paul
I've been told that Timkin 716102 fits

Aronis
July 5th, 2016, 14:08

Don't sweat the $300 part dude, its the $10,000 in labor to do it.

The seal can be replaced without replacing the flange, presses in, but also be aware that the joint between the bottom edge of the rear main seal flange and the upper half of the oil pain (flat surface about 3 cm long on each side) can fail and leak mimicking a rear main seal leak.

Mike

sempaipaul
July 15th, 2016, 21:14
I should probably replace the oil pan seal as well.

I'll have my mech pull away the tranny and see if the RMS is really leaking. I am super surprised as it's only got 10K miles on it....

lswing
July 16th, 2016, 17:57
I should probably replace the oil pan seal as well.

I'll have my mech pull away the tranny and see if the RMS is really leaking. I am super surprised as it's only got 10K miles on it....

Wasn't it an upgraded OEM part? Maybe one of the original RMS got put on instead of a new/updated one.

Aronis
July 16th, 2016, 18:35
Wasn't it an upgraded OEM part? Maybe one of the original RMS got put on instead of a new/updated one.
dam, I hope mine was the updated one. Iswing you are killing me.....:) LOL

lswing
July 16th, 2016, 21:22
dam, I hope mine was the updated one. Iswing you are killing me.....:) LOL

That's the plan:) Obviously you don't have enough stress in life!

Actually, I think it's just the rear trans output seal that was updated, Tozo and my mechanic were both in the know on this. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Aronis
July 17th, 2016, 00:26
I thought it was just the Input Seal at the Torque Converter that was updated. That was the cause of the torque converter issues.

lswing
July 17th, 2016, 02:09
I thought it was just the Input Seal at the Torque Converter that was updated. That was the cause of the torque converter issues.

TC was an internal issue, I saw the little round bastard shipped off and returned, all internal. I'm thinking of the output shaft seal out back of the trans for the updated. Sounds like RMS is engine to trans connection area?

kismetcapitan
November 1st, 2016, 15:44
a mechanic that has worked on my car claims he can replace the output shaft seal with 3-4 hours labor. Sounds like bullshit to me. There is a slow leak in that area which is annoying the hell out of me because ATF dripping onto hot exhaust pipes smells like crap.

so the transmission oil pan seal can leak at the output shaft area? Fixing that seems a whole lot easier...doesn't the pan have to come off to replace the transmission fluid filter? I've got the Blauparts transmission fluid kit sitting in a box; will get it done this week or next.

lswing
November 2nd, 2016, 17:46
so the transmission oil pan seal can leak at the output shaft area? Fixing that seems a whole lot easier...doesn't the pan have to come off to replace the transmission fluid filter? I've got the Blauparts transmission fluid kit sitting in a box; will get it done this week or next.

Believe these are separate. Output shaft is a foot or further back from the trans pan? I think. Oil could leak from the trans pan the back down the trans and to the output shaft though...