PDA

View Full Version : engine drop..... new turbos, etc...

sempaipaul
June 7th, 2016, 15:21
Alright, guys.

The RS has gone under a knife to rip out the turbos for a rebuild. The car went to my mechanic about 4 months ago for a strange idling issue. My guy tore it apart and found a busted check valve under the intake. We at that time also replaced the spark plugs, coilpacks, valve cover gaskets. He put it back together and there was an awful sound coming from the right turbo upon spool. The car was losing tremendous amounts of power. It was taken back apart, put back together again (as he thought it may have been a line to wastegate or something) but the same symptoms resumed.

He went ahead and dropped the engine. The following discovery was made in the drivers side turbo:

Needless to say appears as something got in there... hoWe've it doesn't seem as it went out the exhaust side:

The hope is that It bounced right on back out the intake tube through which it likely entered. We have looked everywhere... intake tube, manifold, intercoolers, and there is nothing to be found.

In any sense --- the engine is dropped and I am trying to get the most done as possible. The car has 86K miles and so far the list is as follows:
1. Full timing kit via the following --- although it was donr 20k miles ago... but since in there might as well?http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GH21132-1-C
2. Turbo rebuild via Scroll
3. Stern engine mounts
4. Apikol tranny mounts

Another item I wish I could get done is get the intercoolers tested and maybe modified for larger size if anyone is out there providing such service? I don't have the funds for wagners :(

Looking for advice on what else I should do while in there... the control arms and suspension were all done 5 months ago. Also the car already has the Bufkin metal tubes...

Here are some more shots....

Thanks,
Paul

Dmb408
June 7th, 2016, 16:41
Someone else had a similar post recently, where the forum gave our seals and sensor opinions. Generally it was replace every seal (valve, camshaft, etc.) but not necessarily the sensors.

lswing
June 7th, 2016, 17:38
Double check interior lining of exhaust manifolds, they have been known to chip off and do damage. But sounds like something got dropped in during the previous work???

Here's your things to do checklist...http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance. There have been some other threads on this recently too.

EINHORN
June 7th, 2016, 19:29
Chain Tensioners and the guides?

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/Engine/Timing/Chain_Tensioner/

lswing
June 7th, 2016, 20:29

Agreed, at least do pads as many seem to fail in the area of 75-125k. Now the tensioners themselves seem to last a long time...200k miles?

EINHORN
June 7th, 2016, 20:51
Pads are in the Blauparts kit, IIRC

rs6BC
June 8th, 2016, 02:06
Apikol engine mounts?

midwest1275
June 8th, 2016, 07:57
My RS is currently being put back together after insurance covered the TC and trans. I did as much maintenance work as a I could, while the engine was out. The last thing I wanted to do is to drop more $$ on intercoolers but it's a must. I guarantee your intercoolers are leaking and you're out maybe 50ish horsepower due to the leakage. I went for the Wagners as they come w/ proper hoses and delete the front fog lights for better flow. I would bet the majority of RS6's are running around w/leaky intercoolers. Also, your new turbos will be working overtime w/ leaky intercoolers trying to keep up. If I wasn't in a time crunch I probably would have gone with the SRM IC's. But I don't think they come with new hoses tho. I feel that if you're doing the IC's you should do proper hoses just to be sure. Once you add up the hoses and new IC's (SRM or stock) you're getting close to the Wagner price of $1600. I say just throw the Wagner kit on your credit card, you won't regret it.

hahnmgh63
June 8th, 2016, 10:57
Your not going to get anything into the exhaust side from something down the intake that is noticeable, at least 99% of the time. What went down your intake and into your Turbo is either lodged in one of your Intercoolers or it was chewed up so small that it was just small metal shavings like what was shaved off your Aluminum Compressor wheel. Intercoolers need a flush for sure as they do a good job of filtering large stuff, and I've seen this happen before when all else turns out good but the small shavings and metallic powder could have caused Piston and/or ring damage so a Borescope is a must. In one instance I saw a Turbo motor (Porsche) go for almost 20K but the damage caused a piston/ring seizure at high RPM whereas the crank literally pulled the rod apart as the piston froze and the crank continued to spin. Get that borescope/video camera inspection done and flush those Intercoolers, at least the one on the side of that Turbo.

sempaipaul
June 9th, 2016, 00:16

Thanks, Einhorn. I'll pick up the Blauparts kit which comes with the guides. Boy those tensioners are expensive. I wonder if there is any way to test them except for a visual...

Double check interior lining of exhaust manifolds, they have been known to chip off and do damage. But sounds like something got dropped in during the previous work???

Here's your things to do checklist...http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance. There have been some other threads on this recently too.

I'll have them take a look at the manifold lining. I'm pretty sure something was dropped in there. We found lots of shavings and metal chunks in the left intercooler. We took a pretty thorough look in the intake manifold and there doesn't seem any sign of anything having gone in there. Thanks for that link. It's very helpful

sempaipaul
June 9th, 2016, 00:18
Pads are in the Blauparts kit, IIRC

Yep, that's exactly what I am looking at now... The fully loaded one less the coolant which I can get locally.

Apikol engine mounts?

I don't see them having an engine mount? Their website only shows a transmission mount along with several other ones but no engine. They do seem to sell the Stern engine mounts, however. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Paul

sempaipaul
June 9th, 2016, 00:30
My RS is currently being put back together after insurance covered the TC and trans. I did as much maintenance work as a I could, while the engine was out. The last thing I wanted to do is to drop more $$ on intercoolers but it's a must. I guarantee your intercoolers are leaking and you're out maybe 50ish horsepower due to the leakage. I went for the Wagners as they come w/ proper hoses and delete the front fog lights for better flow. I would bet the majority of RS6's are running around w/leaky intercoolers. Also, your new turbos will be working overtime w/ leaky intercoolers trying to keep up. If I wasn't in a time crunch I probably would have gone with the SRM IC's. But I don't think they come with new hoses tho. I feel that if you're doing the IC's you should do proper hoses just to be sure. Once you add up the hoses and new IC's (SRM or stock) you're getting close to the Wagner price of $1600. I say just throw the Wagner kit on your credit card, you won't regret it.

Well interestingly enough my guy tested the intercoolers and they're not leaking anywhere. However, the left one has metal shavings in it as we found shavings and even little chunks of whatever got chopped up in the turbo in that intercooler. Appears as the intercooler did a good job filtering all the junk from my intake manifold.... How dense is the "packing" in the intercoolers? I wonder if it's safe for me to wash this intercooler out or maybe get it sonic cleaned to ensure that no shavings remain in it.

I did look at the SRM intercoolers. They seem to be the most conservatively priced at $990.00 which I may be able to do. I also looked at their RS6 hybrid turbos as they're a bit more then the rebuild would be for these (if this one that got damaged can even be rebuilt). I tried calling SRM but, haven't gotten a hold of anyone. I'm curious to find out what is the platform that these RS6 hybrids are built on? do they do a core type of exchange? are the housings/equipment genuine? Also, my intercoolers already have upgraded silicone hoses all around.

Your not going to get anything into the exhaust side from something down the intake that is noticeable, at least 99% of the time. What went down your intake and into your Turbo is either lodged in one of your Intercoolers or it was chewed up so small that it was just small metal shavings like what was shaved off your Aluminum Compressor wheel. Intercoolers need a flush for sure as they do a good job of filtering large stuff, and I've seen this happen before when all else turns out good but the small shavings and metallic powder could have caused Piston and/or ring damage so a Borescope is a must. In one instance I saw a Turbo motor (Porsche) go for almost 20K but the damage caused a piston/ring seizure at high RPM whereas the crank literally pulled the rod apart as the piston froze and the crank continued to spin. Get that borescope/video camera inspection done and flush those Intercoolers, at least the one on the side of that Turbo.

That sounds horrible... we looked inside the intake manifold and didn't see anything. Appears as the intercooler did a good job filtering everything. How dense is the "material" in the intercooler? Do you think a flush or even sonic cleaning would be enough?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Paul

sempaipaul
June 9th, 2016, 00:38
As far as engine mounts... would these work?

https://store.034motorsport.com/motor-mount-density-line-b6-b7-audi-s4-rs4-v8.html

I feel like I heard somewhere that they wouldn't....?

mgmarsh39
June 9th, 2016, 01:04
If you go with SRM intercoolers, you're using my cores ;). Just had mine installed a couple weeks ago. So far so good. I didn't delete the aux rads, and no they do not come with silicon hoses. You also have to do some mods on the ducting for bumper fitment due to the larger size.

Also, the turn around time was like 2 days!

sempaipaul
June 9th, 2016, 02:21
If you go with SRM intercoolers, you're using my cores ;). Just had mine installed a couple weeks ago. So far so good. I didn't delete the aux rads, and no they do not come with silicon hoses. You also have to do some mods on the ducting for bumper fitment due to the larger size.

Also, the turn around time was like 2 days!

Hm. Ok. Any notices in performance enhancement?

Thanks,
Paul

mgmarsh39
June 9th, 2016, 03:22
Not sure on any gains vs stock. I'm not running a tune, so it's really hard to tell. I will say, it is much better compared to running the leaky, shot stockers.

The way I understand it is, the larger sized intercooler will cause a bit more turbo lag so the gains would be higher in the revs. This is just an uneducated spout, so don't quote me.

midwest1275
June 9th, 2016, 07:24
Amazing to hear your IC's are not leaking. Try emailing SRM, they are slow to getting back that may be the best way. Check your junk mail, as their return email to me ended up there. Make sure your IC hoses aren't leaking. I heard of another RS having the same issue with an object blowing through the turbos and causing a mess. They had a solid Platinum warranty and it took 17k of work to get it back on the road.

hahnmgh63
June 9th, 2016, 15:17
Yes the Intercoolers can do a pretty good job of filtering the sizeable stuff and a good solvent flushing will clean them but you still should have a Video inspection of all 8 cylinders done. Each cylinder can be dropped to BDC and the walls can be inspected and with a good video camera you can look back up at the valves.