PDA

View Full Version : Battery Replacement Tips?

CornersWell
May 26th, 2016, 18:28
For the techs and DIYers,

This seems silly, I know, but I did a search and didn't find anything on point.

Time to replace the battery in the RS6. Any particulars I need to be aware of?

I'm told I need to have my radio code handy, because if I don't do it correctly, I'll have to re-enter the code. I think I can handle that, but do I need to know anything else?

I've replaced batteries before, but I just read that the '06 A6 requires VAG-com to enter in the new battery's 10-digit s/n. A s/n on a battery? Um, okay. But, that's a newer model year, so maybe inapplicable.

Before I go pulling the battery connections and causing myself a headache, any advice?

Thanks,

CW

ben916
May 26th, 2016, 18:46
Yes on the radio code but it "should" be on the top of the radio (assuming you have the 4 keys to remove it).
Never heard of the 10 digit code for vag-com...

Are you staying with OEM style battery or an aftermarket gel or odyssey or ????

If you change battery to non-OEM and want to use the same breadbox in the trunk, be aware of the OEM mounting strap might not fit a non-OEM battery.

Without searching, there are several on here that have if you have time/$$$:
1. Installed two 925 Odyssey battery in the two side areas where the air compressor/bose sub woofer is (right side) and the text based nav is (left side). I think Mark (haghmg63) did this option.

OR

2. As the Non-USA does: scrap the fold-a-flat and use the spare tire well as a battery tray (tray from EU/UK/DE/etc).

lswing
May 26th, 2016, 19:40
Pretty sure my mechanic didn't have the radio code, or had to mess with anything else than the swap. Plus with the 4/5? engine pulls it seemed to just be disconnect, then connect it all back.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries/pc925t.htm

Going on 3+ years with this little battery. Low cranking after about a week of sitting, will die after two weeks, so it's trickle charger and not leaving the car at the airport for too long.

CornersWell
May 26th, 2016, 19:49
Thanks, guys.

I will replace with OEM battery. No reason to mess with that. So, I won't relocate to the spare tire compartment or use a Gel or other replacement. Should be simple enough. I do have the keys for the radio, because I have installed an RNS-E, and I do have the code. Somewhere. Just have to find it, and I ought to do that in advance.

I've also read that if I keep power to the system (through a plug-in in the cigarette lighter, for example), I can bypass the problems that I might experience. Maybe that's the best way to deal with potential issues. But, it also sounds like maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

CW