PDA

View Full Version : Anti freeze fluid leaking on passenger side

vas160s
May 26th, 2016, 00:14
And overheating light came on. Towed it over to my guys and waiting for word back. 2 years of nothing major so I guess I am due for something lol. Water pump? Radiator?

Aronis
May 26th, 2016, 00:36
radiator hose would be a good guess....weakest link?

lswing
May 26th, 2016, 01:08
Auxiliary radiator behind intercooler, they tend to corrode over time.

vas160s
May 26th, 2016, 03:17
Auxiliary radiator behind intercooler, they tend to corrode over time.

i hope its just a loose hose lol. Come to find out I let my wife drive the beast to work a few times last week and she just now confessed that she hit a bump kinda "hard" one of those days..wtf!!! Back to the Tahoe she goes. She said she always hits the same bump in her Tahoe and does not even feel it. Ugh. Anyways...so the hose could be it.

DHall1
May 26th, 2016, 04:50
Details

Mileage

Bufkin

Aux rad

midwest1275
May 26th, 2016, 07:49
After pulling the intercoolers, the shops saw that the auxiliary radiators were super corroded and beginning to leak. I imagine this is the case for many RS6's, corroded/leaky IC's and aux radiators. If they aren't completely leaking, they are on their way.

lswing
May 26th, 2016, 13:25
i hope its just a loose hose lol. Come to find out I let my wife drive the beast to work a few times last week and she just now confessed that she hit a bump kinda "hard" one of those days..wtf!!! Back to the Tahoe she goes. She said she always hits the same bump in her Tahoe and does not even feel it. Ugh. Anyways...so the hose could be it.

At first read I thought you were sending her back to Tahoe...although that might be nice. I wouldn't risk blaming her too much, something will break when you're driving and she'll have your ass:doh:

As Dave mentioned, Bufkin pipe, this could be your culprit. It's a plastic pipe in the oil/coolant interchange, passenger side of engine. Gets replaced usually when engine is out, metal pipe made by James Bufkin for $25.

vas160s
May 26th, 2016, 16:08
At first read I thought you were sending her back to Tahoe...although that might be nice. I wouldn't risk blaming her too much, something will break when you're driving and she'll have your ass:doh:

As Dave mentioned, Bufkin pipe, this could be your culprit. It's a plastic pipe in the oil/coolant interchange, passenger side of engine. Gets replaced usually when engine is out, metal pipe made by James Bufkin for $25.

The shop is saying that it's the main radiator. Any reliable place I cools source that from? They are saying $1000 for one. Is that accurate??

DHall1
May 26th, 2016, 16:16
Have it repaired

bethridg
May 26th, 2016, 16:23
The shop is saying that it's the main radiator. Any reliable place I cools source that from? They are saying $1000 for one. Is that accurate??

The radiator is specific to the RS6. I got lucky finding a good used one from Shokan for a few hundred. $1k is accurate for a new factory unit. Just make sure they don't try to put an S6 radiator in. Dimensions are the same but it lacks the additional opening on the drivers side.

lswing
May 26th, 2016, 17:14
Funny, I have the same issue. Have it repaired, yep new one is $900.

I've been researching this for a few weeks, and our radiator is very high quality all metal that could last 20-30 years.

I'm going to have them weld, or JB Weld, the small crack at the bottom of mine, where one of the hoses connects.

ben916
May 26th, 2016, 18:35

This was my initial thought along with the bufkin.

My rad and OEM plastic non-bufkin sacrificed themselves at the same time...

Bigglezworth
May 27th, 2016, 00:39
Have two pairs of Aux rads if you need a replacement set. They are all sound with no leaks.

fukinavit
May 27th, 2016, 04:00
i have a set too, although best to bypass as they are not needed and just another area to leak.

vas160s
June 8th, 2016, 23:46
Well 2 weeks and $1400 later the beast is back with a new radiator lol. Hope she holds up for atleast a year without any major repairs lol