PDA

View Full Version : Some play/movement developing in driver's seat.

dwarfboy
May 15th, 2016, 23:36
After 13 years I've developed some slight play in the driver's seat. I've got what feels like a quarter inch of movement in my seat on braking or acceleration. Very annoying and I suspect likely to keep worsening if I don't get it tightened back up.
When I use the seat controls to put the seat at one of the extremes(all the way forward/back or up/down) the seat has trouble catching the mechanism that moves the seat. If the seat is all the way back and all the way down I have to put my weight on the front of the seat to get it to catch the mechanism and move forward again. If I don't put my weight down I hear clicking like the mechanism is trying to catch but can't quite reach.

I have no idea where to look, or what to look for. I've reached under the seat and felt around the best I could but I can't feel anything loose or identify where the movement might be coming from.

Anybody had the same/similar problem with their seat? Anybody have any suggestions on what to look/feel for? How hard is it to remove the front seat to investigate? What absurd price is audi charging for a new rs6 seat?

lswing
May 16th, 2016, 00:04
Yep, plastic gears underneath, thanks Audi. I wedged layered tinfoil into the gears, much better, just can't move the seat after that:) A lower height setting helps too...

Turbowned
May 16th, 2016, 00:08
Is it a pretty standard 4 bolts and a couple wiring connectors to unbolt the seat and inspect it? I've been meaning to tackle this problem for a while now...

Aronis
May 16th, 2016, 01:58
The mechanism should be a run of the mill A6 base.....we have four A6's at my local junk yard/salvage, I think I'll swing by and get a seat LOL..

Mike

mgmarsh39
May 16th, 2016, 13:54
http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/137981.phtml

Try this

EINHORN
May 16th, 2016, 21:11
yeah there's a kit for this I'm not sure the answer above has all of the parts. I have two sets at home. I'll get the numbers off them and post it up.

midwest1275
May 17th, 2016, 01:54
I've got the seat rock in my RS and it is pretty annoying. Only really happens under hard acceleration and hard corners. Local indyshop looked at a diagram of the seat and it is rebuildable (get a new base), but way more trouble and $ than it's worth. I've thought about making a block to wedge under the seat, I rarely move it.

dwarfboy
May 19th, 2016, 02:23
yeah there's a kit for this I'm not sure the answer above has all of the parts. I have two sets at home. I'll get the numbers off them and post it up.

I'd certainly be interested in trying to make these repairs. Please let me/us know if you have correct part numbers for an RS6. At least I have something to go on, I'll stop by the parts department at the dealer soon and see if we can figure out what I need. I'm hoping I don't have to resort to wedging things under the seat, I did that for years with an old jeep.

EINHORN
May 19th, 2016, 03:19
Part numbers 4B0 399 898 X 2 should have three pieces in bag Front Seat Guide Piece Kit
893 881 203A X 2 Seat Slide
iJ0 882 270 B 1 Roller

I think these are all of them, been awhile since I got them. I'm not sure about the seat slide, but the Kit is right as are the rollers.

Sorry about the delay

dwarfboy
May 20th, 2016, 23:26
Part numbers 4B0 399 898 X 2 should have three pieces in bag Front Seat Guide Piece Kit
893 881 203A X 2 Seat Slide
iJ0 882 270 B 1 Roller

I think these are all of them, been awhile since I got them. I'm not sure about the seat slide, but the Kit is right as are the rollers.

Sorry about the delay

Went to local dealer today and ordered these parts. They confirmed they looked correct for RS6.
Note: You transposed some numbers on first part. 4B0 898 399 is correct.

Thanks for your help.

EINHORN
May 21st, 2016, 00:49
you're right. looking at bag. should have told you where to get them I think it was europarts.

lswing
May 21st, 2016, 03:40
Hmmm, for me it's clearly the gear teeth within the seat height adjust motor/module that are causing the problem. They are old white plastic, and a few are chewed up...a bit of aluminum foil layered and worked in did the trick!

Specifically put the seat at full low, hold foil with extended pliers, wedge foil into gears, then move seat into desired position. It's a pain but works great.

rs6BC
May 27th, 2016, 02:45
So the gears cause the rocking? Mine also does this, along with a hideous high pitched squeal everytime I open my door