PDA

View Full Version : Murcielago is gifted with E-Gear for 2004

Klint
February 6th, 2004, 18:55
Interesting!

I never ever thought the Murcielago would ever become an automatic or even a semi-automatic. :eek:

Good job it's an option!! I'll opt out of e-Gear thank you Mr.Audi-Lambo.

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/513/156Murcielago-Shit_e_gear.jpg

Erik
February 6th, 2004, 20:12
That's until you drive it...

The car I had (Gallardo) had the e-Gear and it works really nice.
It's the same system as Ferrari uses by Magnetti Marelli, except Lambo tuned it a lot better.
If you have driven a BMW with SMG you know what it is about.
It works excellent!

krm
February 6th, 2004, 20:39
I can only imagine the aural pleasure orchestrated by the V12 symphony during rapid downshifting (with self rev-matching) in an e-gear equipped Murcielago!

:bunny2: :bow:

Klint
February 6th, 2004, 21:28
Originally posted by krm
I can only imagine the aural pleasure orchestrated by the V12 symphony during rapid downshifting (with self rev-matching) in an e-gear equipped Murcielago!

:bunny2: :bow:

Can't an average driver be capable of doing the same? I know I can without semi-automatic gearboxes. It's also much more satisfying and enjoyable down shifting the traditional way. :incar:

krm
February 7th, 2004, 01:18
Originally posted by Klint
Can't an average driver be capable of doing the same? I know I can without semi-automatic gearboxes. It's also much more satisfying and enjoyable down shifting the traditional way. :incar:

Of course anyone can do it with a manual. It's much easier to do it with the e-gear as the driver does not have a whole lot worry about other than to flick the left index finger to downshift. (tap->tap->tap...)

I once saw a lady probably 60+ years old driving a black modena F1 coming up on right turn up a driveway, when she decelerated and downshifted, there was nothing short of some beautiful music coming from that Ferrari 40 valve V8! Quite impressive for a lady that age driving a Modena, but I also think the F1 transmission made it all the more easier for her to go grocery shopping with it.

:)

remedy
February 7th, 2004, 12:04
Why anyone would buy such a thing over a manual tranny is beyond me... :devil:

krm
February 7th, 2004, 18:03
Originally posted by remedy
Why anyone would buy such a thing over a manual tranny is beyond me... :devil:

I agree, I would pick 6-speed over e-gear if given the choice.

Audihead
February 10th, 2004, 20:10
I love the auto-manual choice for two reasons, especally becuase of the bent valve factor. If you drive a BMW hard on track or off you can understsand what I mean. The second has to do with the clutch, bad resale and worn out parts. Also I forgot, if you live in a high traffic area and still want to remain sane this is a great option. Just some thoughts.

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

CarbonFibre
February 11th, 2004, 04:04
Yeah, I live in Los Angeles and, although I currently drive a stick, the traffic can be annoying sometimes. With a car that expensive and my little experience with manuals, I'd be much more comfortable backing up a steep hill in that thing than with a traditional gearbox.

remedy
February 11th, 2004, 16:02
Well, OK, but put it like this: The Murc is a driver's car. You don't get one of those to idle gridlocked around LA or something like that. Or at least I wouldn't. :) If I were to buy a car like that, I'd get it for the driving experience. And that, in my mind, pretty much excludes an automatic transmission... :incar:

Nordschleife
February 11th, 2004, 16:54
Oh dear, oh dear!
It isn't an automatic, its E-Gear, the same as Ferrari uses and calls F1, just better programmed so its smoother.
It still feels like a manual gearbox, unlike Audi's DSG which feels automatic.
Really its a very very accomplished piece of kit.
Having driven it, yes I would choose it over the manual shift, it really enhances the driving experience. I love those fast racy shifts, it makes the car feel more like a race car, more edgy
And the Blonde reports that it makes it easier for her to drive in high heels!

R+C

remedy
February 11th, 2004, 23:25
Right...

Erik
February 11th, 2004, 23:27
I would also chose it over the manual and try to perfect my driving instead :incar: :revs:

http://www.autocarmag.com/news_article.asp?na_id=206726

Audihead
February 12th, 2004, 18:32
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Erik
[B]I would also chose it over the manual and try to perfect my driving instead :incar: :revs:

Definately! Why not have perfect shifts every time, then just concentrate on being smooth and fast. It's the best of both worlds.

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead