PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Harness Replacement?

Cmnair
April 21st, 2016, 14:30
My CEL came on with the following codes:

17831 - secondary air injection system Bank 1 P1423 - 002 Insufficient Flow
17819 - secondary air injection system, Bank 2 P1411 - 002 Insufficient Flow

My tech basically told me that the wiring harness is falling apart and probably needs replacing. I asked him if he could run an overlay and see if CEL goes away. Anyone replaced wiring harness in these cars?

SteveKen
April 21st, 2016, 14:49
I'd remove and inspect the SAI pump first. They are notorious for sticking.

Aronis
April 21st, 2016, 15:30
I had to replace the two power wires to that pump. The wire harness insulation was off on a 2 inch segment with exposed the copper wire for about one inch, with a tiny amount of insulation still in place between the two conductors. it did not short out or throw a code, but had to be repaired.

A new wire harness is $2000.00. It can be repaired. Some of the wires are exposed to more heat than others.

Mike

canyon
April 21st, 2016, 16:40
Whatever tech told you that needs to not work on your car again.

Other_Erik
April 21st, 2016, 16:52
I'm not saying you're being lied to or ripped off... but I'd ask to see where the harness is damaged and how badly before going to that kind of expense. These 2 codes and no other codes does not at all point to wiring problem.

As others have said, may be the SAI pump sticking, may be the kombi valves sticking, may be the solenoid is plugged...

I just had my entire SAI system pulled, with a vac line looped on the solenoid, and 034 block off plates on the heads. After driving 75 miles, I reset trouble codes and have not had the codes come back.

Replacing the engine wiring harness is very involved and will cost thousands of dollars in parts and labor. You were right to ask about an overlay if the harness is damaged. Maybe they could even run the overlay through areas that aren't exposed to so much heat that the insulation and wire jackets melt - what a concept!

O_E

Cmnair
April 21st, 2016, 17:13
Thanks guys! Great advice...

Here are some pics...he said he traced it quite a way back...I do have warranty so let's see if they pick it up....If not i will have him pull fuse for now or run overlay.

Aronis
April 21st, 2016, 18:25
Looks very familiar!
Just replace those TWO wires and you are good to go.

lswing
April 22nd, 2016, 00:23
Whatever tech told you that needs to not work on your car again.

Exactly! Damn, what the hell proof does the tech have? Sounds like a basic SAI leak, cost me $100 to fix at the shop.

Cmnair
April 22nd, 2016, 00:58
Exactly! Damn, what the hell proof does the tech have? Sounds like a basic SAI leak, cost me $100 to fix at the shop.

Well he is a Master Tech and I have been going to him for more than 10 years. He said the insulation was gone all the way down the wires, and given the age of the car and potential problems further down the road he thought it would be prudent to replace the harness.

Cmnair
April 22nd, 2016, 01:01
Looks very familiar!
Just replace those TWO wires and you are good to go.

At least yours seems to have more insulation.

DHall1
April 22nd, 2016, 01:23
I may look weird with my hood open all the time

But

My wire harnesses are all mint.

And we live in Death Valley in the summer.

Aronis
April 22nd, 2016, 01:27
At least yours seems to have more insulation.

on inspection the outer insulation was cracked over about 10 to 12 inches.....but the rest of the wire harness was fine. I think that wire is exposed to more heat since it runs over the top of the exhaust manifold on the passenger side.

ttboost
April 22nd, 2016, 02:05
Tune it, code SAI out, carry on...