PDA

View Full Version : Shakedown runs in ol #4

DHall1
April 10th, 2016, 03:44
Had a chance to hit the drags last nite in ol #4.

13.06 @ 110

Heavy air and mid 70s

All 4 cats

Easy launch 2.1 60ft

Need to delete cats and aux rads. Add water meth and should be easy 12.70.

DHall1
April 10th, 2016, 03:46
Good baseline for the old girl. I didnt push first or launch hard

13 yr old tank still going strong

Aronis
April 10th, 2016, 12:57
Nice indeed!

s8prtotype
April 11th, 2016, 03:26
Stock tune?

DHall1
April 15th, 2016, 07:29
Stage 1 flash

One shot tomorrow nite

12.89 is the target. Ran some logs and have a plan of attack tomorrow. She is running veddy good

Cats are all in for now and no water meth.

DHall1
April 30th, 2016, 08:03
Weather gave the green light tonite.

No changes in the car. All 4 cats still in place

12.73 @ 110
12.74 @ 110

1.9 60ft times

That is my baseline. Now to play with a couple things

Stage 1 flash

One shot tomorrow nite

12.89 is the target. Ran some logs and have a plan of attack tomorrow. She is running veddy good

Cats are all in for now and no water meth.

MaxRS6
April 30th, 2016, 12:28
Very nice- I look forward to the play updates!!

Throw the dogs a video bone...

makaveli42
April 30th, 2016, 12:30
Soooooo you tune it yourself?? 12.7 is amazing for that! My fastest is 12.6 and a 1.9 60' with straight piped exhaust, tune, and meth kit: aid radiators just recently removed too.... Not sure if that actually helps tho?What's the DA at your track?

DHall1
April 30th, 2016, 23:00
It was low 70s last nite. Middle of the Arizona desert.

Its 3200ft DA right now

I have several tunes to choose from. This particular ecu is the 10sec base tune with slight changes. Its a good drag day base tune

Its a real pain keeping out the heat soak even if you let the car cool off. I need to remove all the aux rads, add W/M and hack those cats!!!

Soooooo you tune it yourself?? 12.7 is amazing for that! My fastest is 12.6 and a 1.9 60' with straight piped exhaust, tune, and meth kit: aid radiators just recently removed too.... Not sure if that actually helps tho?What's the DA at your track?

Cmnair
April 30th, 2016, 23:36
Dave, is it difficult to get good runs in this car? Those runs are impressive for a 13 year old car but aren't they close to stock numbers? Not familiar with how well tuned RS6s run.

DHall1
May 1st, 2016, 06:55
It seems to be the case. As others have noted

There is a bit more time on the launch but I kept things easy.

This car is the project test mule w/114k and I just wanted to set baseline easy runs to ensure all is running well.

I will upload the vid but here is the teaser. LS3 Grand Sport vette with 440hp. Lol and that would be a coworker. Hehe

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s532/03RSTT/Mobile%20Uploads/BCCBE8C2-D364-4F77-BE58-E69851299393_zpsf8manuho.png

Dave, is it difficult to get good runs in this car? Those runs are impressive for a 13 year old car but aren't they close to stock numbers? Not familiar with how well tuned RS6s run.

Cmnair
May 1st, 2016, 14:04
Tried to PM but your inbox is full

RS Sick
May 1st, 2016, 15:19
Congrats, seems super healthy. 1.9 is a solid 60'; any tips on a solid launch without too much TC stress?

Bigglezworth
May 1st, 2016, 17:18
Car should crack in to high 11's running Marc's tune (altitude corrected). Pump gas?

DHall1
May 1st, 2016, 17:43
Need to gut the cats and bypass aux radiators.

Also need to stress the trans with 1.7 60ft times.

Will give it a try this fall As our cool evenings are gone.

HPO-DK
May 1st, 2016, 20:44
[QUOTE=DHall1;282337]Stage 1 flash

Stage 1 does that give around 500HP ?

DHall1
May 2nd, 2016, 05:58
Well this crazy weather down here. I have one more crack at a good baseline time.

Next friday looks like one more green light weather day

12.50@112 is my new target with all the cats in place. I still got a couple things to try

GreggPDX
May 2nd, 2016, 16:51
I'm thinking about hitting the strip before my 6-speed swap gets going. I'd like to set a baseline for the car when it's completely stock. That said, how would you launch if you didn't care about the transmission?

P1054
May 2nd, 2016, 17:15
I'm thinking about hitting the strip before my 6-speed swap gets going. I'd like to set a baseline for the car when it's completely stock. That said, how would you launch if you didn't care about the transmission?
Not to get too far off subject, but let me know if/when you go!

lswing
May 2nd, 2016, 19:41
That said, how would you launch if you didn't care about the transmission?

Duck foot rat technique...something close to below.

Hold brake pedal with left foot. With right foot, rev engine to a comfortable point ~3k. Quickly do this a second time. You should notice/hear boost starting to spool. Quickly do this a third time, and when your revs are up, foot off the brake. All power/revs/boost should hit your driveline nice and hard.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23198-In-the-interest-of-science-the-duck-foot-rat-lives

GreggPDX
May 4th, 2016, 16:59
Got it, I'll have to practice that technique a bit.

I'll post when I'm heading to the strip if anyone wants to join me. I'm planning to do the Late Night drags at Portland International Raceway. I've done those in the past and they are fun because they are less formal and get a wide variety of cars. It also helps from a temperature perspective to be doing runs at 11pm! My new SA2015 helmet shows up today, so should be soon.

makaveli42
May 5th, 2016, 02:48
I've tried that dang duck rat foot thing for three years now and never figured it out lol. Went with a tune with launch control. But trying to get a new tune anyways. Will try the duck ray foot thing again I guess...

DHall1
May 7th, 2016, 07:57
12.63 @ 112mph
1.9 60ft

Baseline done. All stock just flash

Cmnair
May 7th, 2016, 14:24
12.63 @ 112mph
1.9 60ft

very nice...was with #4 on a different tune?

DHall1
May 7th, 2016, 15:48
Yes #4

Same stage 1 tune

It could use more timing but I'm happy with the results. All cats in place and all stock.

LS3 Grand Sport vette came with exhaust and a new tune. He went home with crow and tail between his legs. He managed a 12.72 once but struggled with traction.

It didnt hurt...that I had consistant .06 reaction times. Lol

makaveli42
May 7th, 2016, 22:24
Yes #4Same stage 1 tune It could use more timing but I'm happy with the results. All cats in place and all stock.LS3 Grand Sport vette came with exhaust and a new tune. He went home with crow and tail between his legs. He managed a 12.72 once but struggled with traction.It didnt hurt...that I had consistant .06 reaction times. LolSooooooo I can ship you my ECU and you can flash it right? Lol. Was in contact with Marc and then he went MIA like mid text....been over a week and still silence

Aronis
May 8th, 2016, 02:04
NICE, If I try that my transmission will fly out the back.....:) once my RS is back on the road, it's going to be driving miss daisy....

12.63 @ 112mph
1.9 60ft

GreggPDX
May 13th, 2016, 18:27
Not to get too far off subject, but let me know if/when you go!

I'm thinking I'll head down to PIR tonight for the Late Night Drags. I will probably shoot for around 8pm, which should give me enough time to get multiple runs, and the temp will have cooled down a bit.

Is anyone spraying the intercoolers with water between runs? I'm debating if I want to bring a water bottle spray setup with me.

DHall1
May 13th, 2016, 18:49
Yes

i use ice water from a 30oz insulated bike water bottles. Keep a cooler back at the pits full of ice.

Makes a a big difference esp when you have aux coolers intact. I need to pull mine

P1054
May 13th, 2016, 19:11
Well you might see me there, if the rain holds off anyway.

lswing
May 13th, 2016, 22:40
Yes

i use ice water from a 30oz insulated bike water bottles. Keep a cooler back at the pits full of ice.

Makes a a big difference esp when you have aux coolers intact. I need to pull mine

Get them pesky heat soaking sumbich's outta there! That said, I would leave them in a warm weather daily driver...and that said, I noticed instant gains once removing mine.

You all need to just setup a CO2 sprayer system for the IC's, tank mount in trunk, toggle on dash. I was about to, then started breaking transmissions and figured I had enough power.

Aronis
May 14th, 2016, 01:15
You all need to just setup a CO2 sprayer system for the IC's, tank mount in trunk, toggle on dash. I was about to, then started breaking transmissions and figured I had enough power.

LOL! GO! :)

Mike

DHall1
May 14th, 2016, 01:28
You don't live in Mexizona. The blast furnace is about to go in the red

i know the aux rads need to go.

Get them pesky heat soaking sumbich's outta there! That said, I would leave them in a warm weather daily driver...and that said, I noticed instant gains once removing mine.

GreggPDX
May 16th, 2016, 17:39
Hi Guys, just wanted to update my results from Friday. Best run was 13.54 at 104.6. My 60' were consistently 2.1, I tried a couple different launch techniques, but none of them made much difference. I only got 6 passes in, so I really did not have much opportunity to practice. I've never really practiced on the street either, so certainly some room for improvement there.

For reference, my car is bone stock, stock tune, full weight, including spare, all accessories and a factory behemoth battery. The only thing not original is the BBS 19" wheels. They should be a bit lighter than stock, which might have bought me a tenth.

I think the biggest factor slowing me down was heat. My dash temp was showing 84 on my first pass, and never got below 79, even close to 10pm when the track shut down. It was also a bit more humid than normal (for Oregon) because a rain front was heading in that night. There was a very clear correlation between cool-down time and performance. My best run was after letting the car sit with the hood open for about 30 minutes. The few passes I made where I "hot lapped", and went right back into the staging line, cost me several 10th's each time. My worst run was a 14.0 at 102.6.

All things considered, the car did OK, probably in-line with where it should be with poor air and an average driver. This was my baseline, the car goes down for the 6-speed swap in two weeks. I'm not planning any performance mods during the swap, just maintenance stuff, but I do plan to pull the aux radiators. I'm actually planning to run the car after the swap, but before the re-tune to see how it runs. Then I'll get the Stage 1 tune and see how she does.

Then I start saving for the big-turbo/intercooler/meth upgrade!

DHall1
May 16th, 2016, 20:25
I'm pretty happy with my 12.63 @ 112. Pretty much stock and running in AZ with temps getting up a bit.

This is is on my 113k mile project fixer. It's well sorted and dang fast.

Let me tell you 12.63 is on another planet from 13.54. There is a ton of performance on the table.

GreggPDX
May 16th, 2016, 21:02
I'm pretty happy with my 12.63 @ 112. Pretty much stock and running in AZ with temps getting up a bit.

This is is on my 113k mile project fixer. It's well sorted and dang fast.

Let me tell you 12.63 is on another planet from 13.54. There is a ton of performance on the table.

Yeah, trapping 7+mph more, so you're definitely putting down significantly more power. Mine could be losing boost through leaks too, but hard to tell without some data logging. When I have it apart, I plan to test/reseal the intercoolers, and I'll certain do some logging when it's all back together.