PDA

View Full Version : Awaiting 01E kit for S6 Avant...

JT
March 30th, 2016, 01:29
This will likely become a 'JT's 01E kit into S6 Avant build thread' in the coming weeks. I'm eagerly awaiting the kit, who I purchased from Phil @audis4parts.com 4.5 weeks ago. I found Phil easy to talk and he kindly answered all my questions. He suggested I go with the OEM B5 RS4 clutch and 034's lightweight, single-mass, billet aluminum flywheel. I planned to go that route until I noticed JHM also sells a clutch/flywheel kit, but with the B7 RS4 clutch, for the same price. The B7 RS4 pressure plate has some merits over the B5, including metal mechanism (rather than plastic). Here's the JHM clutch/FW kit I purchased, which has already arrived:

https://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/jhm-lightweight-flywheel-and-clutch-combo-b7-rs4-pressure-plate-for-27t-p-822.html

I chose Coventry Motorcar, hosts of the famous east coast 'S-Fest', to perform the installation. My friend Scott, whom I've known for years, actually since the days we were both driving around in our B5 1.8T's, is the manager there. He used to have a UrS6 Avant and now drives a RS6, so is genuinely interested in doing the work. I haven't attended S-Fest in a few years but recall meeting a few of you other Audigeeks
the last time I did and I'd certainly try harder to make it this summer, post successful 6-speed conversion. =)

Please feel free to share your thoughts on my clutch/FW combo, or ask any questions, comment, etc.

Phil just provided me an update, letting me know my kit is coming out of a 2003 A6 2.7T with 127K miles and it will likely be shipped in the coming week.

Thanks,

Turbowned
March 30th, 2016, 03:03
Oh wow, those guys are 15min from where my girlfriend lives (and where I might be living in the foreseeable future)! You'll have to let us know how it goes, because if I ever get my finances in order I'll be looking to do a 6MT swap to my RS and I probably won't have the time/space to do it myself.

JT
March 30th, 2016, 03:09
Cool, will do!

SteveKen
March 30th, 2016, 03:10
You will really like the 6MT.

I've always went with the stock 2.7T dual mass flywheel with the stock B5 RS4 clutch and it was smooth as butter.

Did you clarify that the ring gear on the B7 flywheel will work with your stock 4.2 starter since the B7 ring gear is bigger in diameter than the 2.7T ring gear.

Lastly, do not buy anyone's S6 manual tune. Start with the stock one that Audi used in their Euro III zone cars. It's readily available on the Internets and is plug and play once you have the right soft coding for the ecu and abs.

JT
March 30th, 2016, 03:16
SteveKen! Thanks for replying. No, I haven't clarified that the ring gear on the B7 FW will work with my stock 4.2 starter, since the B7 ring gear is larger in diameter than the 2.7T ring gear. I would hope JHM already sorted that out, but perhaps I should give them a call tomorrow?

I can happily report that my plan is to utilize the stock euro S6 tune flash file. Sounds like it's only plug & play after I have the correct ECU & ABS 'soft' coding. I have to look into this. Also, is there anything unique I need to know about reverse (or the reverse lights)?

Thanks Mr. Guru,

JT
March 31st, 2016, 01:15
SteveKen, I called JHM today and they confirmed there is no issue re: ring sizes. Only downside I see to JHM configuration is that if I want a new FW, I'd also have to fork out for a new clutch. Let's hope all goes well. I have high confidence it will.

Thanks,

ttboost
March 31st, 2016, 01:28
Scott has my old 6speed manual gearbox...he'll probably never put it in...

JT
March 31st, 2016, 14:50
Scott has my old 6speed manual gearbox...he'll probably never put it in...

From what car - an 01E?

ttboost
March 31st, 2016, 20:36
Yep, bought it for my swap, but ended up getting a rebuilt one, so sold Scott that one...not sure if he still has it...I thought it was sitting around the shop there a few months ago...

JT
April 1st, 2016, 03:07
I think I recall Scott mentioning this - it's not the full kit, just the gearbox, correct?

ttboost
April 1st, 2016, 11:48
I think I recall Scott mentioning this - it's not the full kit, just the gearbox, correct?

Correct, just a gearbox.

JT
April 2nd, 2016, 01:46
Can you guys confirm these pics are both from a C5 A6? Is one style newer than the other? Which would you prefer? My interior is black (black seats, dark charcoal dash/console). Others may be available too.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll182/Sofi143/blackshiftknobboot_zpssh0va9h5.jpg (http://s288.photobucket.com/user/Sofi143/media/blackshiftknobboot_zpssh0va9h5.jpg.html)
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll182/Sofi143/brownshiftknobboot_zpsrs8xol6x.jpg (http://s288.photobucket.com/user/Sofi143/media/brownshiftknobboot_zpsrs8xol6x.jpg.html)

Thanks,

audisscott
April 7th, 2016, 16:02
Stupidly enough I put it in my urS6 avant then sold it w/the 6-speed swap, wish I still had it for whenever the TC
shits out.

JT
April 20th, 2016, 18:25
I'm happy to report the work commenced today. Progress notes, observations and pics to come.

JT
April 21st, 2016, 03:06

JT
April 21st, 2016, 03:11
The pedal cluster was installed today. I'm trying to upload a few additional pics but they're apparently too large.

ttboost
April 23rd, 2016, 13:02
Not that some of us don't know, but how about an update...

JT
April 24th, 2016, 03:16
Not that some of us don't know, but how about an update...

Yessir!

The car is pretty much back together but Coventry Motor Car is awaiting a few parts from audis4parts. They include a driveshaft center support bearing (one sent was very loose) and crankshaft position sensor spacer (may have been lost by CMC). Additionally, the clutch and brake pedal covers showed more wear than I expected, so Phil agreed to send me a better condition pair once he received mine back, so they were shipped this morning. No complaints thus far. Phil has been very responsive to all my questions and concerns. Of course it helps to have my good ol' pal Scott working @CMC, as I've known him for more than 15 years! He decided the wood shift surround that came with the kit was a bit 'poopy' looking and thus kindly wrapped it in faux carbon. While I really like the look, my plan is to carefully enlarge the Tip cut-out on my stock wood surround to match the size of the manual one. That way the interior will really have that stock look and all wood trip will match. They still have to flash the car with the euro C5 S6 6-speed file too. Expect to have her back by Friday or Sat. We'll see...

JT
May 1st, 2016, 02:26
Hey gang,

Long time no talk. OK, I have picked up the car and it's been transformed! So effin' hot now, as a 6-speed. The only outstanding issue is a slight vibration that's not gear or RPM specific. We believe it's attributable to the cheap aftermarket front L & R axles that were provided. Phil from audis4parts doesn't currently have any OEM axles but he'll likely receive a car that has them in the coming weeks few weeks. Once he does, he's going to install new outer CV joints and send them my way. In the package he's going to include a pre-paid shipping label for me to return the cheap aftermarket set. Only rub is that I have to pay my install shop the labor to install them. They're working with me though and have offered a significantly reduced labor price (wish they made me aware of their reservations about the axles before installing them!). I haven't driven the car much yet, but once I do I will report back with further updates.

Thanks,

JT
May 4th, 2016, 02:07
Walked out to my car after work yesterday and found a note on the window. I thought it was going to be from security, as I've been parking in a closer lot without permission. To my surprise, that's not what it was...

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll182/Sofi143/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswwzvitzp.jpeg