PDA

View Full Version : The vin list

Carolinacat
February 26th, 2016, 04:40
So I'm new on here and I notice that everone shares there vin to someone who is collecting them. I understand it to be if there was certain issues that arise related to vin and to keep track of the cars. Are the color and interiors recorded as well. What else is recorded? Is the list accessible by me myself and I? I'm curious as to what colors are most popular. We're there just 2 interior options black and white? Carbon or wood? Any other weird options.

Other_Erik
February 26th, 2016, 12:33
So I'm new on here and I notice that everone shares there vin to someone who is collecting them. I understand it to be if there was certain issues that arise related to vin and to keep track of the cars. Are the color and interiors recorded as well. What else is recorded? Is the list accessible by me myself and I? I'm curious as to what colors are most popular. We're there just 2 interior options black and white? Carbon or wood? Any other weird options.

Typically, we try to gather as much info on an RS6 when we see one for sale to be tracked. The giant thread stickied here contains info on ~500 of the 847 RS6's that were delivered to the US, and maybe 30 of the 90ish that were delivered to Canada.
What we try to collect:
VIN ((build date?)), Exterior color, Interior color, Trim, modifications, ((if forsale: how much and where)), and any known major faults/fixes. To give an example-
x905530 build date 10/10/03, Black, Black, Carbon, KWV3 RNS-E, last sold from Portland Oregon to Alexandria Virginia for $18500, Engine turbos trans and tc replaced at 97k miles under previous owners extended warranty (fault not listed).

By gathering this info, we've determined the following generalizations:
DRC failures were extremely common, especially within the first 60k miles, with some having warranty work replacing every 10k miles. The Torque Converter seal issue that led to grenading transmission was probably fixed somewhere in August of 2003, with x905500 being the rough cutoff number for old seal vs new seal. With the number of listings for salvage/total loss sales noted via Shokan and public salvage auctions, we're guessing there are at most 690 RS6's left on US roads. Also, there are roughly 10 RS6 Avants on the road, whether they were paid-in-full (think an extra $30k+) importation with modification to meet US standards (see: too much money), or S6 Avant chassis and rear clip mated to RS6 Sedan components (see: SteveKen)

As far as I'm aware, the list isn't accessible, and I'm certainly not going to take the time to crawl the thread to recreate it. I put in enough time adding maybe 30-50 new VINs to it just from crawling searchtempest, autotrader, cars.com, etc... Not that I haven't asked for the list, it's just not available as of this moment. For the colors, I posted up a summary gleaned from many different sources. There were 2 options available for interior (Ebony Black or Platinum Sabre), and trim (Woodgrain or Carbon Fiber), unless you did an Audi Exclusive build (of which I'm only aware of 15ish?). There were a few "options" available on the RS6 at build time - Navigation system, Sound Enhancing Exhaust, Warm weather package, Integrated phone. Pretty sure that covers everything.

Oh - on colors, check out this thread: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32311-Alternative-touchup-paint-for-Mugello-Blue
The "most popular" (highest number delivered) was Avus Silver, and the "least popular" were the Audi Exclusive colors - 1 each of Papaya Orange, Black Cherry Pearl, 2 Ibis White, 5 Sprint Blue, 5 Tornado Red. The least popular non-Exclusive were Imola Yellow (14), Polar White (45ish), and Goodwood Green ((unknown quantity, but based on years of searching and only seeing 3 forsale, I'd say it was pretty low, maybe less than the Polar White))

Welcome!
O_E

PCMacDr
February 26th, 2016, 21:32
Great info Erik

thank you

nistah
February 27th, 2016, 02:02
Great info Erik

thank you

Good info, thanks!

Carolinacat
February 27th, 2016, 02:03
Thanks for the info. Now to find 1 of the 5 sprint blue ones.

Any idea on how many misano red our out there. Thinking about buy one but I think there a tough sell.

ben916
February 29th, 2016, 17:47
I used to maintain the list; sold off 905355 to someone here in WA; turned the list over to Dave.
IIRC:
1 Black Cherry
1 or 2 Polar White

Other_Erik
February 29th, 2016, 19:17
I used to maintain the list; sold off 905355 to someone here in WA; turned the list over to Dave.
IIRC:
1 Black Cherry
1 or 2 Polar White

Aye, most polar white and most Audi Exclusive orders were Canadian 2004 MY's - lots of conspiracy theory reasons behind this, mostly being Audi quietly discontinuing NAR RS6's when they found they couldn't bring 2004 MY's into the US market, and not delivering many/any dealer-lot Canadian issue in 2004.

I've seen pictures of the Black Cherry, and it is freakin' gorgeous! Wish it had been for sale and in my price range when I was shopping, would've been an easy choice. Last I heard it was forsale for $37k, which is a bit over double what I paid for my beast.

O_E

nistah
March 1st, 2016, 06:23
IIRC:
1 Black Cherry
1 or 2 Polar White

Did you instruct Dave not to release the list to the forum for whatever reason?

Several have expressed interest to view the list including myself yet it remains elusive for whatever reason, my position is it should be released & shared with fellow enthusiasts. This would be a nice gesture, which speaks to what this forum is all about....to return the favor to those who have helped provide data.

I've seen pictures of the Black Cherry, and it is freakin' gorgeous! Wish it had been for sale and in my price range when I was shopping, would've been an easy choice. Last I heard it was forsale for $37k, which is a bit over double what I paid for my beast.

O_E

The black cherry is a nasty beast, it belonged to M5 Eater he & I became friendly after meeting at an RS6 dyno event. IIRC he bought black cherry from a wealthy dentist and found it came preloaded w/ an APR tune from the dentist. He had a level 10 trans installed along with a lot of maintenance during his couse of ownership and ended up selling it for around 28 or 30 IIRC to make the move into 2013/2014 S6

Other_Erik
March 1st, 2016, 11:02
The black cherry is a nasty beast, it belonged to M5 Eater he & I became friendly after meeting at an RS6 dyno event. IIRC he bought black cherry from a wealthy dentist and found it came preloaded w/ an APR tune from the dentist. He had a level 10 trans installed along with a lot of maintenance during his couse of ownership and ended up selling it for around 28 or 30 IIRC to make the move into 2013/2014 S6

Ya I was very much wanting to buy it from him, just wasn't in the cards. Was hard enough convincing the then-girlfriend now-wife that my black beast really needed $4k worth of regular maintenance, much less that I wanted to trade it on a much more expensive version of the same thing. Too bad whoever he sold it to isn't a regular here, I know at some point down the road I'm going to want to buy it from them.

O_E