PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Replace Oxygen Sensors or Leave well enough alone

Aronis
January 25th, 2016, 02:38
It's time for me to choose! Either leave the functioning, non-error producing Oxygen sensors alone, or replace them all. I have read up on testing them out of the engine, so I guess that would be a reasonable why to pretest the new ones. I am worried that one of the four new ones may be defective out of the box. This is probably very rare but I did have a 1994 BMW 325is which died on the highway with only about 75 miles on it due to a faulty Oxygen Sensor.

Bigglezworth
January 25th, 2016, 04:37
Leave as is. Better for you to remove the SAI clutter on the back of the heads (if local emissions testing doesn't look for it) and then you will have ample room to remove the upper O2's as necessary with engine in situ should the necessity arise.

Aronis
January 25th, 2016, 12:11
That's interesting. You can then reach them. Cool. I'm in NY state so emissions are fully tested.

Bigglezworth
January 25th, 2016, 16:28
Can reach from above down backside of engine ONLY if the combi valves are removed. That of if you have really small and slender hands.... I opted to leave the clips loose that the wiring was held in place from factory assembly in order to support easier removal should the need arise at a later date. The clips were on top of the tranny and difficult to get to with engine in place. Just find looping over top loose and holding in place on the sides of the tranny and up on the firewall in the engine compartment.

Aronis
January 25th, 2016, 17:42
I am doing all four......$800 DAM!

urs6ville
January 25th, 2016, 20:44
That's interesting. You can then reach them. Cool. I'm in NY state so emissions are fully tested.

you should check on that "emissions are fully tested" since I bought an NY car with the O2s coded out, and it got full pass on emissions that way in NY (at least that is what the previous owner told me).. but here in MA, that is not allowed.... so you might have some wiggle room.

s8prtotype
January 25th, 2016, 21:02
You can have the rear 2 coded out, put the money towards a tune from daz

4everRS
January 26th, 2016, 04:16
You can have the rear 2 coded out, put the money towards a tune from daz
What he said

Aronis
January 26th, 2016, 17:27
I spoke with the mechanic and in NY state the emission stuff can't be messed with.

Code out the Rears....that's interesting but does that mess with the car's ability to do the correct air/fuel mix?

So I said the hell with it and am replacing with four OEM sensors. I guess I am a sucker for original equipment parts.....

Oh well.....

Mike