PDA

View Full Version : New RS6 owner! Need air filter recommendations

VAG
January 24th, 2016, 06:36
I would like an ITG filter but can't seem to find where to get one, and know k&n's can damage MAF's. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!!!

ttboost
January 24th, 2016, 12:45
Maintain your stock filters. They filter the best and you'll NEVER see or feel a difference with any other filter.

Bigglezworth
January 24th, 2016, 16:02
As Mike says above, there is NOTHING wrong with the OEM paper units. Any and ALL revisions to a different filter are for ego purposes and potentially rob you in the end. You aren't driving through the desert as part of the Baja race trying to keep rocks and sand out of the engine are you??

lswing
January 24th, 2016, 16:12
^^^All this...so how about some info on the car?

VAG
January 24th, 2016, 16:47
No, not planning on doing any Baja racing Bigglezworth haha. Just looking for some performance gains. Any who the car is 03 Avus Silver, Black interior, 100k on the odo and bone stock other than Hotchkis swaybars. I plan on getting a REVO chip soon, lowering the car and getting some wheels....more to come!

lswing
January 24th, 2016, 17:06
Sounds nice. Do not get REVO, one of the poorer tunes, and it's a flash not chip replacement. TCU is chip replacement. Look into 034 Motorsports, they do both. Just remember your trans is at greater risk when tuned, $8k risk, so get the TCU chip when you get your ECU tuned. HR coils seem to be a favorite, good ride, price, height.

Bigglezworth
January 24th, 2016, 17:39
Just looking for some performance gains.Swapping out OEM for aftermarket in an attempt to "gain more power" is a common myth - especially on this ride. None to be had. Keep your money in your wallet as it will guaranteed be required elsewhere.... IF you really wanted to have a performance advantage over the next RS6 owner, you should have started with a Mugello Blue exterior. lol

ttboost
January 24th, 2016, 17:48
IF you really wanted to have a performance advantage over the next RS6 owner, you should have started with a Mugello Blue exterior. lol

Tim is right..as usual...

hahnmgh63
January 24th, 2016, 18:35
What everyone else said. With that said, by OEM they mean a Mann or Mahle brand filter. Don't go with a cheap paper then you may be loosing some filtering. As lswing said, don't go with Revo, good price and Ok tune but not good, a touch lean. 034 is good for sure but read some posts of late on here you may have some new choices. A lot of smart coding guys are jumping from the B5 S4 Chassis and into the C5 RS6 and doing some good work, probably save some money too.

Cmnair
January 24th, 2016, 22:24
Stick with stock air filters...and keep the car stock :)

VAG
January 25th, 2016, 00:06
Thanks for all the good info guys! Only reason I was leaning towards REVO tune (stage2) is because you can adjust boost and timing. I'd like to do Meth injection and being able to adjust timing/boost will be necessary. Are there any other adjustable tunes out there?

lswing
January 25th, 2016, 00:08
Thanks for all the good info guys! Only reason I was leaning towards REVO tune (stage2) is because you can adjust boost and timing. I'd like to do Meth injection and being able to adjust timing/boost will be necessary. Are there any other adjustable tunes out there?

REVO does not allow fueling which screws you. I had to piggyback some Unitronic software on for fuel, but it's a pain. Most of the companies will adjust your tune when needed.

hahnmgh63
January 25th, 2016, 00:16
What lswing said. I had the Revo and also had to use the Unitronic software to adjust the fueling slightly as the Revo would allow a little Boost and Timing change but without adding extra fuel you can ruin a Turbo engine quickly.

VAG
January 25th, 2016, 01:49
So it sounds like the Unitronic chip is the most tunable?

lswing
January 25th, 2016, 02:19
So it sounds like the Unitronic chip is the most tunable?

1, it's a tune/flash, no replacement of the chip.

2, no on Unitronic. Myself and others found a workaround to use the software on an already flashed car, but it's fuel only. Only reason to use it.

So...Eurocharged has a hand programmer, you could use them. Both Daz and Marc are Indy tuners, you need to dig for their contact or wait, someone will chime in.

APR is too spendy, not worth it. Viper seems good but is in UK. AMD up near Seattle is a good bet too.

Use Google to search this forum by using the term "site:rs6.com whatYouWantToFind"

And MAKE SURE to get the TCU chipped for better shifting.

Turbowned
January 26th, 2016, 01:07
I've been sitting on a Eurocharged programmer for nearly a year now; you'd think I'd have gotten a tune by now. Now that I have a Porsche I might try to get a deal on tuning both, so I'll have to report back with that once it's done.

VAG
January 26th, 2016, 06:09
Well I ended up getting the REVO flash with SPS. The car feels faster and definitely more torquey. Sounds like a TCU chip is next. Also I'll be data logging to make sure I'm not running lean as I've read this could happen.

LaserSVT
January 26th, 2016, 15:12
Swapping out OEM for aftermarket in an attempt to "gain more power" is a common myth - especially on this ride. None to be had. Keep your money in your wallet as it will guaranteed be required elsewhere.... IF you really wanted to have a performance advantage over the next RS6 owner, you should have started with a Mugello Blue exterior. lol

LMFAO!!!!! Nice.

lswing
January 26th, 2016, 16:14
Well I ended up getting the REVO flash with SPS. The car feels faster and definitely more torquey. Sounds like a TCU chip is next. Also I'll be data logging to make sure I'm not running lean as I've read this could happen.

With any luck your version runs a bit better. Still no fuel adjust with SPS, the tool says you can but it's basically a lie. Symptoms of running lean include feeling of timing being pulled, my car would have little "bumps" under WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear. Added fuel in and all is good. Plus adding the water meth kit helped down the road. But yes, log your car with ross-tech vcds, 3 timing, 31 lambda/O2, and 115 boost. 112 EGT is also a good indicator, if it's hot you're lean, above 800C I think. Timing and lambda also give you a good idea.

Get the TCU from 034 or AMD I think, it's tough to find an MTM one these days. Be careful soldering it in or you can fry the whole TCU.

G2
January 26th, 2016, 22:03
Little late to the discussion, per usual.

Yes, K/N filters help. Especially on a tuned car. I was somewhat surprised. Not a first choice, mind you. It's clearly apparent VAG engineers were cramped on space with the intake plenum design. I'd bet they are relying on the intake suction/vacuum under boost to help Pull air in. My motorbike has a bigger air filter and makes 1/3 the HP per cyl. bank of a mildly tuned RS6. RS6 must have the smallest filter area/volume of any such car at said displacement and power. Egads.

Revo is a serious compromise "tune". Don't care for the power delivery, but at least it doesn't lean out on my car. Thanks to LSWING who helped tweak a few things when I first got the car. Made it livable and didn't genuinely worry about the trans as much (reduced torque surge; smoother mid range and something left at the top end). No luck with trying several times in contacting REVO a couple years ago. I just couldn't see bringing that product line in. (Maybe if I was a trans shop, however)

Have since driven Eurocharged and Viper tunes which are eons better in terms of power delivery (smooth and progressive).

The transmission won't last long w/o a tune and a full maintenance service. Classic chain of events that often catches people off-guard.

Good luck, have fun and be especially nice in getting to know your new "Autobahn Brawler".

ttboost
January 27th, 2016, 00:37
The transmission won't last long w/o a tune and a full maintenance service. Classic chain of events that often catches people off-guard.

Good luck, have fun and be especially nice in getting to know your new "Autobahn Brawler".

Yes, start saving your pennies for a new transmissiomn..it cometh soon. Put a date in your calendar of when you tune it. We want to know EXACTLY how many days a RS6 transmission lasts with a tune.:lovl:

lswing
January 27th, 2016, 01:33
Yes, start saving your pennies for a new transmissiomn..it cometh soon. Put a date in your calendar of when you tune it. We want to know EXACTLY how many days a RS6 transmission lasts with a tune.:lovl:

I'll put my money on 167 shifts at WOT...

ttboost
January 27th, 2016, 01:48
I'll put my money on 167 shifts at WOT...

11 launches from a dig...

Turbowned
January 27th, 2016, 03:41
And this is why I want to have all the parts lined up for a 6MT conversion before tuning the ECU :hihi:

VAG
January 27th, 2016, 04:10
I've been trying to contact AMD phone and e-mail for a TCU quote but no response. I have purchased a lot of things for my URS4 from 034 and know they sell good products... So I'm sending the TCU to 034 on Monday. Plus that will give me a few days to finally detail the car :R8kiss:

Avus-RS6
January 27th, 2016, 17:51
Regarding air filter, I've been TOLD that our filter area is way too small for a tuned RS6. Stock power levels it's barely adequate but you ramp the boost up then the filter area is way under sized. No good solutions at this time. I use stock Mahle paper filters even with much higher power levels than stock, and would LOVE more filter area but don't want to shell a couple g's to have someone develop a real solution.

Bigglezworth
January 27th, 2016, 17:57
Regarding air filter, I've been TOLD that our filter area is way too small for a tuned RS6. Stock power levels it's barely adequate but you ramp the boost up then the filter area is way under sized. No good solutions at this time. I use stock Mahle paper filters even with much higher power levels than stock, and would LOVE more filter area but don't want to shell a couple g's to have someone develop a real solution.A few have been saying this yes, but neither confirmed power levels nor real world times suggest such.

Avus-RS6
January 27th, 2016, 18:08
A few, like people who own and tune high HP Audi's... I believe them but don't want to be the one to (pay to) develop a real solution. Our filters are tiny, I would put money on 25+hp gain with a real solution. Probably wouldn't feel it at over 500 wheel though, so who really cares.

G2
January 27th, 2016, 22:15
Our filters are tiny, I would put money on 25+hp gain with a real solution. Probably wouldn't feel it at over 500 wheel though, so who really cares.

I'd tend to agree on the potential increase....but:

Less restriction helps at all RPM and loads; including throttle response. In my case the filters were old and dirty from the prior owner (as most are from what I've seen so far), so the "increase" may have been twofold.

hahnmgh63
January 27th, 2016, 23:43
There was that Dyno video posted on here years back that showed the whole filter housing being sucked down, kind of concave under a strong Dyno pull. What about starting with opening the two front grill slots where the intakes go, do a nice job with a Dremel so it looks factory would probably be a great start.

Avus-RS6
January 28th, 2016, 17:44
Hood scoop and ram air is the only real solution. ;-)

VAG
January 28th, 2016, 19:28
Most definitely! I know JC Whitney has a great selection!!

nubcake
January 28th, 2016, 22:52
Hood scoop and ram air is the only real solution. ;-)

PO of my current car had a very radical solution. :hihi: