PDA

View Full Version : Front camshaft seal replacement and tranny oil cooler line...

makaveli42
January 19th, 2016, 03:12
Took the car in for its normal oil change... Had them check out some leaks that I was concerned about.

It's the front camshaft seal and the tranny oil cooler line.

anyone ever replace those or have them replaced? Price isn't too bad, but they are quoting 7.2hours to replace the front camshaft seal. What all is involved in that?? is there any other things I should be while a that's being replaced? Ex: timing belt

three hours to install the tranny oil cooler line as well. I don't know where it's located or how hard it is to install it either. I'm no mechanic but I can handle my own on most things. If the quote looks decent and you guys says its a PITA to fix by myself then I'll have the shop do it.

PS: aftermarket warrant won't cover seals. The shops calling back in the morning to try and get them to cover the tranny oil cooler line and install of it.

quote is as followed:

$9.49 for the front camshaft seal
$24.50 for G13 coolant
$720 (7.2hrs) labor to install seal
$15.95 for tyranny fluid
$275 for tranny cooler line
$300 (3hrs) for tranny line install

mrdave
January 19th, 2016, 04:30
Editing my original post since I realized after sleeping on it that it's not 100% accurate.

Any idea exactly which front cam seal? There are 3 seals that definitely require removing and reinstalling the timing belt so it would probably make sense to do the belt also. These are either of the exhaust/lower cams that have the toothed timing gear attached.

There is one seal (more of a plug) by the driver's side intake cam that would require removal of the valve cover AND timing belt, so you might want to do valve cover seals in addition to the belt if it's this one. It's unlikely to be this seal since there are no moving parts here.

And there is one "easy" seal on the passenger side intake cam that shouldn't require removal of much, besides the timing belt cover and crank position sensor.

If they're quoting 7hrs, I'm guessing it's one of the exhaust cam seals. Or maybe they are guessing? At any rate, I'd verify which seal they plan to replace.

This picture is from a regular 4.2L but here's the "easy" one I'm referring to (on the passenger side). Note that the timing belt is still in place:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/silverd22/Chaintensioner1.jpg

SteveKen
January 19th, 2016, 15:54
^^^^ Ditto this.

Or just deal with the leak until the next timing belt service is due.

lswing
January 19th, 2016, 16:57
I tend to go with the "how bad is it leaking?" practice.

Am I loosing noticeable fluid levels...is there smoke coming from under the hood daily? If not than proceed until a more major repair is needed, then get the little things all cleared up.

You could also consider when the TB needs to be done. If it's soon, then get it all taken care of. Also if you're high mileage, above 90k, take a look at those plastic cam tensioners; that was the last thing that cost me 20 hours of labor, and the cam seals were all done at this time.

That trans fluid pipe would concern me if it's really leaking as you don't have an easy way to check trans fluid levels like you do engine oil.

makaveli42
January 19th, 2016, 19:35
Not sure which cam seal it it? I'll have to ask. But I've had to keep filling the radiator fluid because the low fluid light comes on. The tranny fluid is very very noticeable when I park in the garage or outside in the snow. They said it'd be $499.99 for the ECS Tuning TB kit which included TB water pump and some other things I believe. I'm at 122k and never had it done. I have receipts from the previous owner and all history from Chicago Audi but nothing says "timing belt" in any of the paperwork.

SteveKen
January 19th, 2016, 20:04
Not sure which cam seal it it? I'll have to ask. But I've had to keep filling the radiator fluid because the low fluid light comes on. The tranny fluid is very very noticeable when I park in the garage or outside in the snow. They said it'd be $499.99 for the ECS Tuning TB kit which included TB water pump and some other things I believe. I'm at 122k and never had it done. I have receipts from the previous owner and all history from Chicago Audi but nothing says "timing belt" in any of the paperwork.

Sounds like a good time to get bent over and get it all done at once.

Do you need the name of an indy in Indy?

lswing
January 19th, 2016, 21:03

Ticking time bomb without knowledge of the TB service, get it done before you lose your engine. There's a list of parts and random things to upgrade, like Gates belt, on my website, "Maintenance" section.

So you've got a coolant leak also. And your trans may be out of fluid. Yikes!

mrdave
January 19th, 2016, 21:34
Ummm... yeah... you're going to want to go ahead and get all of that taken care of ASAP. Mmmkay?

http://www.artwithimpact.org/sites/default/files/lumberg.jpg

makaveli42
January 19th, 2016, 21:42
Sounds like a good time to get bent over and get it all done at once.

Do you need the name of an indy in Indy?

Britton at Diverse?? He installed my meth and new tune. Not a fan of the tune (it's smoother than my viper and has launch control, but no where near what I was told since having the meth kit. Just think I need more timing added for the meth)

i use EPWerks which are an Indy shop because they are the only ones I trust with a RS6 on big stuff. Diverse is cool and Britton and his bro are amazing. Just only have worked on one ther RS6. I might sent him that quote and see what he can do tho. I saw he ordered one of your 6spd kits tho!

Bigglezworth
January 21st, 2016, 07:43

Leave the cam seals until you do a timing belt. Can't be leaking THAT bad.... Additional time to swap out seals when the belt is being done is less than 30 mins for a qualified mechanic. I literally just purchased a Continental timing belt kit plus separate T-stat and Waterpump from Audi Autohaus AZ for significantly less than what you are being quoted at ECS. Free shipping too! Just brought it back home this evening along with a couple of new Bosch 440 pumps that I had dropped shipped to a friends place in Scottsdale so that I could rendezvous with everything while I was down visitingn them. You can get the blue Gates belt for around $65 on line I recall if you feel you need that vs. a continental.