PDA

View Full Version : The beast just quit

December 23rd, 2015, 15:41
Sitting at a stop light and the beast just quit on the wife. Started again and didn't give any more troubles, but it has her scared. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Also need a good shop in the Seattle area!

Other_Erik
December 23rd, 2015, 15:50
Idea - scan with Vag-Com, post up any/all error codes. Any lights on on the dash?

Chung
December 27th, 2015, 05:42
Maybe not enough to diagnose but mine was fuel filter.
Shops near Seattle are AMD and Redmond European. AMD is a little tough to get ahold of though.

Bigglezworth
December 27th, 2015, 17:42
Start with the scan. If nothing shows on a scan, get back to the basics. Car needs air, fuel, and compression. Air is easy to determine, so move on to the fuel. Need fuel pressure at the rail. If not there, look at the filter or pump. Yes there are a host of sensors that can also paralyze the car, but those usually show with a VAGCOM scan.

fbatwork
December 28th, 2015, 02:35
When mine started randomly quitting it was the g28 engine speed sensor - finally threw the code after the third random stoppage... started each time but sometimes took 30 minutes and only one of the three times was on a cold start (that was actually the first time it wouldn't start)...

nene
December 28th, 2015, 02:57
I am with @fbatwork on this one. In my case it was also the G28 engine speed sensor when the car started to quit on its own, or it would randomly not start at all after it was warm from a quick ride do the store. Good luck and keep us posted.

urs6ville
December 29th, 2015, 18:41
agree with @fbatwork/@nene

the G28 failure symptom is pretty common across aging VAG cars.... had that problem in my 98 VR6 (@90000 miles) and both my 95 UrS6s (@140,000 miles/@230,000 miles)....

would die... sometimes would start right back up... sometimes would have to wait for 15 minutes... then would not happen again for a week or two.

the third time it happened in my VR6 it threw a code.... never seen a code since but each time replacing that sensor fixed it.

RichardJones79
December 30th, 2015, 06:28
What's the part number for the G28 engine speed sensor? I'm thinking of replacing it as preventive maintenance since I'm sitting at over 105K.
Can it be changed or accessed while changing the Timing Belt?

January 26th, 2016, 18:00
Thanks for the replies folks. I've been waiting for the beast to quit again or throw a code but it hasn't. I did however have an odd thing happen that might be related. I was at work on a trip, came back and the wife said the dash had reset to 01/01/2000 on the time. Also noticed the CEL was gone. So....at some point battery was disconnected/disconnected from itself from the ECU. The battery was never dead, always charged. Any ideas on this gremlin?

Thanks...

ben916
January 26th, 2016, 18:17
Maybe not enough to diagnose but mine was fuel filter.
Shops near Seattle are AMD and Redmond European. AMD is a little tough to get ahold of though.

And if you are in a bind, University Audi but then again @canyon works at Barrier in Bellevue.

hahnmgh63
January 26th, 2016, 18:38
Sure it's a good battery. RS6 is not as finicky as the newer cars but a weak battery or shorted cell can still give you odd problems.

Aronis
January 26th, 2016, 22:00
We found a section of the main wire harness which lays across the back of the engine that had lost a 1 inch segment of insulation exposing the two main wires. I never had a short but this certainly is possible and such a short would cause a reset of the computer/time/etc......I'll post a photo later.

Aronis
January 26th, 2016, 22:30
here is the wire harness break... main ground and main plus 12. note discoloration of the copper, so this had been open for some time. I never had an issue as there is enough insulation between the wires, but not much.

January 27th, 2016, 04:32
here is the wire harness break... main ground and main plus 12. note discoloration of the copper, so this had been open for some time. I never had an issue as there is enough insulation between the wires, but not much.

Thanks for the pics!! I'll check that out.....just weird that the ECU thought the battery died....that is over the right bank right?